Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Used eggs past due date for cakes...are they OK?

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:06 am
My sweet daughter made 6 cakes for Rosh Hashanah, but I just discovered that she used eggs that were 1 and 2 days past their "use by" date. She made the cakes on the 17th and 18th. The date on the eggs was the 16th. Are the cakes OK to eat? I feel so bad if they aren't! She worked so hard!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:11 am
I think they're ok. Can you cook one up and see if it's still good?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:25 am
One of my aunts told me she called the department of agriculture about eggs, and they are usually good for quite a while past their due date. if an egg was bad you would know it by the smell. Especially okay if you bake it, not raw.

vet techy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:29 am
My friend uses eggs several months past the experation date and never had a problem. The ones that are bad will smell and look bad when cracked.
The past due date is just to cover themselves and they will be good for much longer.
I wouldn't worry unless they weren't refrigerated properly.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 10:35 am
Just adding to the chorus that the eggs are almost certainly fine, and usually are for a considerable time past the so-called expiration date.

Reminds me of the joke, "Himalayan sea salt we just got says it was created 250 million years ago. Label says exp date is 2017. Guess they dug it up just in time!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins