Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Secrets to successful subbing?

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:22 am
What are your tried and true tips to successful subbing?

For both long term and short term? Just moved and will be subbing until I find a permanent teaching position. I have been a successful teacher for many years, but I'm seeing that subbing is a whole different league!

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 11:38 am
First and foremost, make sure that the administration is there to back you up, and what disciplinary actions you can take, what should be done if 10 kids are not cooperating, etc.

For short-term or day-to-day subbing, realize that you are NOT going to be teaching, you're there to make sure that no one kills each other and not disturbing other classes. Maybe prepare something fun, but don't PLAN to get anything accomplished.

For a few days to a week, find out what the most important parts of the lesson are. Try to make it more fun. It might take 2-3 days for the kids to really get into your court, or you might totally lose them.

Longer leave. if possible, visit the classroom for a few days before the teacher goes out so that you learn the "ropes" and you can have as seamless a transition as possible, but don't try to copy the teacher, make it your own. I've found I've gotten more respect when I teacher "my way" rather than trying to stay in the other teacher's shadow

emzod42

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 1:07 pm
If there's an assignment, make it clear that it will be collected at the end of the period and probably graded.

Leave detailed notes with student names for the teacher to handle discipline so that students know you're serious and the next time you sub for them, they will know there will be consequences for misbehavior.

Be strict about keeping existing classroom procedures as they are (ex: students probably have assigned seats, so they should stay in those. There's probably a reason for it, and it will make your life easier). You can usually count on kids to rat on each other if they're not in the right seat.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 1:55 pm
Offer incentives. To be blunt, bribe. You can offer small treats, extra recess, etc. If some kids are misbehaving, give a writing assignment (why derech eretz is important or something) that will be given to the teacher, principal, and needs to be signed by parents. Meanwhile the cooperative kids can have extra recess (I wouldn't take away regular recess, usually those are the kids that really nees to blow off steam).
The above will enable you to find your own style with them and try to be somewhat productive. Kids like games. Either class games like around the world or bingo, or individual word search type things. Try to stick to the subject but do things a regular teacher normally wouodnt have time for. As I always say: Pinterest is your friend!

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 2:39 pm
Thanks for all these suggestions! I am mostly doing upper grades and high school as I have no experience with younger kids. Should have mentioned that in the op. So some of the above don't really apply.

Any specific tips?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all these suggestions! I am mostly doing upper grades and high school as I have no experience with younger kids. Should have mentioned that in the op. So some of the above don't really apply.

Any specific tips?

I found that usually there's an assignment given and not actual teaching. I come in and say I know this isn't something you want. You can do it yourself or together but it needs to be done, then you can have free time. I tell them they need to stay in the room and keep their voices down. That's it. No one has patience for a sub bothering them. They look at it like a free period. Don't be on top of them and micro manage. Be cool. The only rules should be to keep them in the room and not being too loud. Don't worry if they don't do work- teacher will handle that.
In the schools I sub in, the school knows I'm more like a babysitter. They don't expect total silence and cooperation, just need someone to keep an eye.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 4:11 pm
amother wrote:
I found that usually there's an assignment given and not actual teaching. I come in and say I know this isn't something you want. You can do it yourself or together but it needs to be done, then you can have free time. I tell them they need to stay in the room and keep their voices down. That's it. No one has patience for a sub bothering them. They look at it like a free period. Don't be on top of them and micro manage. Be cool. The only rules should be to keep them in the room and not being too loud. Don't worry if they don't do work- teacher will handle that.
In the schools I sub in, the school knows I'm more like a babysitter. They don't expect total silence and cooperation, just need someone to keep an eye.

This may work for one day, but what about long term subbing?

Boca00

Post Wed, Sep 20 2017, 4:22 pm
I was a permanent sub one year for pre1a through 8th grade. First, learn all their names if possible. For older girls, I would see their names on their binder or hear a friend call their name, and when I asked a question I would call on them by name (and I only called on girls I could figure out their name! Which was most everyone.) It made them feel accountable and also made them nervous lol.

Second, I told exciting stories while teaching (either as an incentive or while actually giving the history lesson, for example, from the perspective of someone there. It works for math, English and any subject).

Third, I treated the older girls with respect and trust but I still had to be strict or they try to get away with everything. Best is to come in very strict and loosen up as they behave better.

Really hard classes knew that a list was going to the principal with who did/didn't behave (this worked beautifully for elementary school, and it helped that I learned their names).

Good luck! Its a whole different ballpark than teaching.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics