Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic Designer- earning potential

amother
Coral

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 9:27 pm
Hi ladies! I am trying to get a better feel for what I can realistically expect to make over the next few years as a graphic designer, or if I need to consider making a career change in order to support my family better. Would anyone be able to help me by sharing basic income info? How much do you make annually, years of experience, part time or full, freelance or employed? Are you satisfied with what you earn or do you want to make some kind of change? Thanks SO much!!

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Sep 23 2017, 10:16 pm
Part time, freelance, over 10 yrs experience, usually $12K to $20K annually.

I see most freelancers charging $40 to $100 per billable hour, so I think you CAN make a nice income, but you have to be good, creative, consistent and quick to do so.

crl

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:56 am
Full-time entry level can expect to make 36-45k annually, depending on where you work and if you're going have a specialty. I'd say average in NY is about 50- 60k climbing under to 70-75 for lots of experience. Management or art direction is 100k+ generally after 10 years of experience if you choose to go that route.

Freelancing with minimal experience is around 30-40 per hour, with more experience can go up to 100-120/hr.

A lot depends on type of work, specialized skills and where you get a job.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:27 am
crl wrote:
Full-time entry level can expect to make 36-45k annually, depending on where you work and if you're going have a specialty. I'd say average in NY is about 50- 60k climbing under to 70-75 for lots of experience. Management or art direction is 100k+ generally after 10 years of experience if you choose to go that route.

Freelancing with minimal experience is around 30-40 per hour, with more experience can go up to 100-120/hr.

A lot depends on type of work, specialized skills and where you get a job.

Thanks! Are these numbers based on your actual experience? Or what you assume others are making? Looking for specific examples of what frum wives/moms make irl, as opposed to the "expected norm" Wink

crl

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:54 am
Based on my experience, I'm an art director and hire and fire people. Smile I am also a frum wife and mom of twins.

My guess would be frum wives/moms would make a bit less due to less time. Also, in my experience, secular clients tend to pay more and value design work more so staying in the "frum" sector of clients can impact earning potential as well. But if you are talented, no reason why you shouldn't be valued as such, regardless of lifestyle.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:49 am
Thank you so much for your responses! I have been freelancing for approximately 6 years. I work part-time (around my kids' schedule) and make around 50k. I don't think I can add on many more hours at this point in time... debating whether I should take this career in a different, better-paying direction, hang in until my kids' schedules become more flexible and I can take on more hours, or just raise my rates. I can probably do any of those options, but I don't know what really makes the most sense. I struggle with feeling over-worked, a lot. I take on what I can and then everything beyond that it dedicated to family, so I am always maxed. I know this reality is not necessarily unique to this career, but I am just trying to make heads and tails of it...! So, thanks!! Smile

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for your responses! I have been freelancing for approximately 6 years. I work part-time (around my kids' schedule) and make around 50k. I don't think I can add on many more hours at this point in time... debating whether I should take this career in a different, better-paying direction, hang in until my kids' schedules become more flexible and I can take on more hours, or just raise my rates. I can probably do any of those options, but I don't know what really makes the most sense. I struggle with feeling over-worked, a lot. I take on what I can and then everything beyond that it dedicated to family, so I am always maxed. I know this reality is not necessarily unique to this career, but I am just trying to make heads and tails of it...! So, thanks!! Smile

Just wanted to say that 50k on a part time job is not too bad. Im not in the field but I make just under 50 working 28 hours a week. I keep toying with the idea of changing carears but short of going back to school to be become a nurse or speech therapist I cant think of a job that involves minimal schooling where I can work part time and make better money...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics