Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
What's been happening with the "WISK" laundry detergent?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:41 am
For decades I've been using "Wisk" laundry detergent mainly for my dark colored loads.

I've recently noticed that most stores including big supermarkets stopped carrying the "Wisk" brand.

I checked on-line and to my shock I noticed that the places that currently sell Wisk charge and astronomical price for an average jug of detergent, so it's no wonder that some of the local supermarkets where I usually shop stopped carrying them

Ebay sells a 50 oz jug of wisk detergent for $29.99.

Other places sell for $49.99 and up. I even noticed a seller selling for $94.00.

I'm looking into other options at this point.
Which detergents are recommendable for dark loads?

I use Tide for white loads.
From what I was told; Tide is too strong for dark cloths and may cause some fading...

BTW, I always add vinegar to my darkloads to prevent fading. It surely helps, but I still need the right detergent.

Pls help. TIA

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:46 am
https://www.wisk.com/FAQs.aspx

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:47 am
Washing in cold water preserves darks and colours. I use sunlight lemon. It's the only one I can handle the smell of.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:50 am
amother wrote:
For decades I've been using "Wisk" laundry detergent mainly for my dark colored loads.

I've recently noticed that most stores including big supermarkets stopped carrying the "Wisk" brand.

I checked on-line and to my shock I noticed that the places that currently sell Wisk charge and astronomical price for an average jug of detergent, so it's no wonder that some of the local supermarkets where I usually shop stopped carrying them

Ebay sells a 50 oz jug of wisk detergent for $29.99.

Other places sell for $49.99 and up. I even noticed a seller selling for $94.00.

I'm looking into other options at this point.
Which detergents are recommendable for dark loads?

I use Tide for white loads.
From what I was told; Tide is too strong for dark cloths and may cause some fading...

BTW, I always add vinegar to my darkloads to prevent fading. It surely helps, but I still need the right detergent.

Pls help. TIA

They replaced it with persil

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 10:22 am
andrea levy wrote:
Washing in cold water preserves darks and colours. I use sunlight lemon. It's the only one I can handle the smell of.

OP here, Do you use the sunlight lemon for white loads as well?

BTW, I wash my dark and colored with cold water. Occasionally slightly lukewarm.

MrsDash

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 10:34 am
FYI - They have Wisk in closeout stores, etc. I saw a bunch at Big Lots.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
They replaced it with persil

Are you sure? I use Persil, but it smells and acts very differently than Wisk.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:55 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Are you sure? I use Persil, but it smells and acts very differently than Wisk.

It smells very very different, but it does wash the same.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 2:00 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
https://www.wisk.com/FAQs.aspx

Thanks tons MagentaYenta! Your input / link is utmost enlightening!

@ MommyGr8, in what sense does Persil 'act' differently than Wisk in your opinion? (not referring to smell)

Would you suggest it may be too strong for dark colors?

Is it strong enough for whites? I use Tide for whites. How would it compare? TIA

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks tons MagentaYenta! Your input / link is utmost enlightening!

@ MommyGr8, in what sense does Persil 'act' differently than Wisk in your opinion? (not referring to smell)

Would you suggest it may be too strong for dark colors?

Is it strong enough for whites? I use Tide for whites. How would it compare? TIA

Just my opinion...

I feel that it is stronger than wisk. I use it for whites, and lights, only. I didn't do a double-blind study, but this is just my feeling.

I personally have not tried it on darks.

I used to use Consumer Reports, but I don't have a subscription anymore. I wonder what they would say?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:56 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Just my opinion...

I feel that it is stronger than wisk. I use it for whites, and lights, only. I didn't do a double-blind study, but this is just my feeling.

I personally have not tried it on darks.

I used to use Consumer Reports, but I don't have a subscription anymore. I wonder what they would say?

May I ask what brand of detergent you use for dark loads?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 4:57 pm
Mommyg8, this is what Consumer Reports writes about Persil and Tide.
https://www.consumerreports.or.....ests/

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:45 pm
ra_mom, I can't access the full ratings, but I do see that Persil is top rated.

amother plum, someone once told me to use a cheap detergent for darks. I use it for clothes that you can't tell if the would have a stain - I.e. pants, or towels. I don't know if that's best. My friend swears by Gain, I personally don't like the smell.

I'm thinking that it doesn't really matter which detergent you use for darks, because you don't have stains that you need to get out?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry