Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Yom Kippur phobia

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:08 pm
Every year I panic before Yom Kippur. I never have an easy time fasting but Yom Kippur is the hardest. My Rov always tells me that if I feel like I am getting close to passing out, I should start with shiurim--but how am I supposed to judge that? I have never had to, but My anxiety shoots through the roof this time of year. Anyone else experience this?

amother
Vermilion

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:11 pm
I'm anxious in general and I say that I have pre-fasting anxiety. I'm actually not a bad faster and yet I get anxious before every fast. It sounds like you actually legitimately have a hard time so you at least have a reason to be anxious!
do you make sure to drink plenty of coconut water/gatorade a few days before the fast. I find that drinking enough in advance really helps.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:54 pm
Work on hydrating yourself in the lead up to the fast. THat doens' tmean downing gallons of water on friday. It means making sure you eat well, and drink a LOT the entire week, so that your body is truly hydrated.

Also remind yourself that most people can fast a lot longer than 25 hours with no serious consequences.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 10:00 pm
amother wrote:
Every year I panic before Yom Kippur. I never have an easy time fasting but Yom Kippur is the hardest. My Rov always tells me that if I feel like I am getting close to passing out, I should start with shiurim--but how am I supposed to judge that? I have never had to, but My anxiety shoots through the roof this time of year. Anyone else experience this?

Why would it be difficult you find out the allowable shiur should the need arise? Is 1 ounce acceptable? If the rav says yes, then have a 1 oz cup ready as you know it's permitted. Hatslacha!

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 10:20 pm
You're not alone. I have Yom Kippur phobia as well Sad
I'm not even allowed to fully fast due to a medical condition. I have to sit and drink shiurim the whole day. Sit and watch the minutes. It makes me incredibly anxious. And as the day wears on I get weak and dizzy and lose track of the time. Then I end up waiting too long and dont end up taking in enough liquid so I get more weak and dizzy. I wish I was "normal" so could just fast and go to shul, daven Yom Kippur davening even at home. But no. I get to lie in bed drinking my shiurim.... That's my Yom Kippur Sad Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur