Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
What to eat for shiurim?

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:31 am
Our rav said based on my midwife's opinion that I should eat shiurim on YK. (Drinking shiurim is his general psak for women past a certain point in pregnancy based on medical research done by his rav.) He said whatever I'd found online from a legitimate kashrut organization on how exactly to do the shiurim was fine since I couldn't remember when I asked which of 2 or 3 it was I'd seen.

The Star-K recommends "compacted bread, crackers or cereal" in their description of how to measure out food but since I need these shiurim davka to keep my blood sugar stable I can't do crackers or cereal, and bread only if it's with a decent amount of protein or at least alternating shiurim between bread and protein. I can't stomach fleishiks or fish. I'm thinking cooked lentils or tofu- I eat a lot of peanut butter, yogurt and cottage cheese but those are going to be difficult to eat out of a shot glass, no? Other ideas?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:39 am
Buy the mini disposable dip spoons so it won't be difficult to eat those things out of a shot glass. Feel better!

keym

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 6:01 am
Cheese. chick Peas, raw nuts like almond peanuts cashews, avocado, 1/4 hard boiled wgg

fiji

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 9:09 am
I alternated every nine minutes btwn water, orange/apple juice, yogurt, and v8 juice (recommended by my OB to keep sodium up to prevent dehydration)

sitting

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:24 am
Was a long time ago that I did this but recall ita the size of an ice cube. So I froze power aid etc.... and then sucked on it. cld u try that

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:30 am
I've done pb in shot glasses. Fingertips make great spoons :-)

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 11:47 am
Thank you! I should check, I think I have a baby spoon somewhere that might be helpful- otherwise those little disposable ones are a good idea. (Fingertips sound great, but I'm going to go crazy when I can't wash my hands freely!)

I'm supposed to drink and eat shiurim, counted separately. I guess I should ask if yogurt is considered eating or drinking.

I think I alternated juice and water (by rav's recommendation) the last time I was told to drink shiurim- this is my first time eating them as well, and I'm not allowed to have juice or powerade since that will spike my blood sugar.

Keym, most of those sound like good ideas! I just need to keep it so I don't get too thirsty, but eggs, avocados and chickpeas should all be good if they're not too salty.

An easy and meaningful fast to you all!

abaker

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 5:16 pm
I've heard raw almond butter is good. You get more food/calories/nutrition in by using nut butter instead of whole nuts.

ice coffee

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 6:11 pm
I've blended shakes and added a good protein powder to it

artz

Post Sun, Sep 24 2017, 7:33 pm
Freeze grapes, mashed potaoes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur