Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often to wash kids PJ's/clothes?
1  2  Next

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:19 pm
I wash my kids pajamas and everything they wear after one use (unless it's something delicate- I will wash as needed)
Our clothing seem to look worn out really quickly. Is this normal? We have a new updated washing machine so that can't be the problem. I do wash on "delicate" cycle.
Just wondering what the norm is?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:22 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:
I wash my kids pajamas and everything they wear after one use (unless it's something delicate- I will wash as needed)
Our clothing seem to look worn out really quickly. Is this normal? We have a new updated washing machine so that can't be the problem. I do wash on "delicate" cycle.
Just wondering what the norm is?

I wash clothes after each wear because it's necessary with my kids. But we hang dry everything since the dryer seems to wear the clothes out. Pjs get thrown into the dryer though and we're ok with a little fading here and there for those unless their special.
Some detergents are harder on clothes and fabric softener kills the fibers too.

behappy2

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:24 pm
Is this expensive clothing? Clothing today wears out very quickly. My son has about six pairs of pants. At the end of the year most have holes in them and are not usable. I buy from cheap stores.

srbmom

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:28 pm
I also started to hang dry almost everything because my kids clothes were wearing out too quickly. It's a huge pain but has made a big difference. I throw everything in the dryer for 10 minutes first just to get the wetness out and then hang to dry on a drying rack or hangers.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:29 pm
PJs: 2-4 nights depending on age of kid, weather (hotter weather means more frequent changing) and how early/late they wore them
Uniform skirt/jumper: goal is once a week, but my younger one is generally 2 jumpers per week, so 2-3 days.
Uniform shirt: 1-5 days. They have plenty (and they are navy) but unless it smells or it got dirty I leave it up to them.
Other weekday clothing: generally washed each time but if a skirt is clean it might get worn twice (generally only happens during vacation, otherwise it's one skirt per Sunday and I just throw it in the wash)
Shabbos clothes: as needed.

I wash most of their clothing in cold water and air dry (or tumble on air only setting). I find the dryer heat (even low heat) more damaging than the washing machine.

lucky14

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:37 pm
Pjs are washed usually after like 2-3 wears unless a diaper leaks or they get food on them or dirty from something else.
Clothing usually gets dirty enough after one time to get washed again though occasionally I may feel it isn't necessary and we can get one more wear out of it before washing.
I hang dry all clothing except underwear and socks and play clothing I really don't care about.
I've begun to hand wash the majority of our clothing (not pjs or some shorts/pants and tops that I either don't care enough about or I feel are tough enough to make it out OK).
It is SUCH a pain but our machine is just too rough on stuff.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:46 pm
I wash everything after one use including pjs. If it's delicate I wash in delicate. I dry everything unless it's delicate.

Mrs. Sunshine

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:56 pm
Thanks for the responses. My kids wear basic stuff not expensive...
When I attempt to hang dry the stuff it's usually too time comsuming as there is a ton of stuff, and I also find things don't dry well and end up smelling like mildew

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:56 pm
Clothing gets put in the hamper after one day of wearing. PJs once a week, unless they pee in it. We have ac, so night sweating in PJs isn't an issue.

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:24 pm
My kids change every night in the summer and every night or every second night in the winter-my kids have around 8 pairs of pajamas and they don't get worn out before they outgrow them. I do dry them.

mamaleh

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:26 pm
Mrs. Sunshine wrote:
Thanks for the responses. My kids wear basic stuff not expensive...
When I attempt to hang dry the stuff it's usually too time comsuming as there is a ton of stuff, and I also find things don't dry well and end up smelling like mildew

Had the same issues that's why I started doing air only drying in the machine. Still takes more time than regular (heat) drying, but not even close to hanging.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 7:14 pm
Clothing after one use & pj's after 2.
Wash everything on delicate & hang dry everything. The dryer wears things out.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 7:33 pm
Add a tsp of salt to your colored and black loads. It prevents the clothing from fading and looking washed out.

chocolatecake

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 8:41 pm
Everything besides pjs is worn once and then tbrown in the wash. Pjs they wear around three times. Everything goes in the dryer besides Shabbos clothing and maybe one or two nice weekday sweaters.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:18 pm
All clothes are washed after one use. PJs are washed once a week (since they are only put on after a bath when the kid is clean and not worn anywhere dirty). Everything goes in the dryer every time.

One piece of advice is if you have a front loading washer, to reduce the spin speed - t a spin speed which is too high can wear out clothes very quickly. If you have a top loader, there may be gentler cycles (doesn't have to be delicate). Also cold or warm water is fine, hot water will wear things out sooner.

Dryer doesn't seem to wear things out for us, but yo ucan always put things on a reduced heat setting if you think that it does.

Last piece of advice is too turn everything inside out before washing it, as at least then any pictures or designs won't get faded.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 4:05 pm
amother wrote:
All clothes are washed after one use. PJs are washed once a week (since they are only put on after a bath when the kid is clean and not worn anywhere dirty). Everything goes in the dryer every time.

One piece of advice is if you have a front loading washer, to reduce the spin speed - t a spin speed which is too high can wear out clothes very quickly. If you have a top loader, there may be gentler cycles (doesn't have to be delicate). Also cold or warm water is fine, hot water will wear things out sooner.

Dryer doesn't seem to wear things out for us, but yo ucan always put things on a reduced heat setting if you think that it does.

Last piece of advice is too turn everything inside out before washing it, as at least then any pictures or designs won't get faded.

Interesting thought, thanks for posting!

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 5:12 am
Pyjama after ONE use? I have never heard of this.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 5:31 am
amother wrote:
Pyjama after ONE use? I have never heard of this.

Yes. I wash pajamas every day. My own I sometimes wear two days in a row. My kids washed everyday.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 5:41 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Yes. I wash pajamas every day. My own I sometimes wear two days in a row. My kids washed everyday.

Same. Mine I wear twice and with kids somehow that never works.

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 6:51 am
My kids clothes get washed after every wear, pjs less often (except for my toddler, who spills her breakfast on herself every morning without fail). Washed in a front loader, spin set at 800rpm, cold water only. Machine dried. I definitely find the better quality the clothes, the longer they last, so I feel it's worthwhile to invest in more expensive clothes (on sale though).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry