Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dry Nose

myname1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 2:18 am
My 3 year old has been waking up multiple times a night with a dry stuffed nose. I clean it well before bed (with water and tissues), and it doesn't look stuffed with anything, but I hear him struggling to breathe through it and he wants me to wipe it with water and try to clear it out. I keep his window closed so he'll sleep later, and have been keeping the ceiling fan on in there to keep it cool, but last night I actually shut the fan because it was chilly. My husband thought keeping the window open through the night and possibly shutting it early in the morning might work. Do fans dry out the air/sinuses? Anything else I can do to his room or his nose to help? He has water to drink during the night, and that does seem to make him feel somewhat better, but he stil struggles to breathe. (I'm in Israel if it matters.) Thanks!

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 2:33 am
Get a good humidifier and leave it running.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 2:38 am
My son had this all the time. A humidifier helped.

myname1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 2:50 am
Thank you both! I saw a suggestion once to put a pan of water on a heater to do the same thing. Can I do that to try it out? Would leaving a pan of water in the room without a heater do anything? It's a ceiling fan, so it's not like I can put it next to it, but I was thinking of leaving one somewhere else near his bed. Or should I just go buy a humidifier and hope it does the trick?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 2:55 am
Change the direction of the fan. Turn it off, abs look for a little switch close to the blades.
Can you close the trissim most of the way, but leave the window open? That would let some air in.

Saline nasal spray may help him too.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 3:06 am
A bowl of water will not evaporate fast enough to give real relief, especially when the steam is on. The volume of water in the air would also be minimal.

I would recommend investing in a really good humidifier.

If you decide to go with one without a germ filter, please note that it needs to be bleached frequently to prevent airborne, dangerous germs.

Best is a good one with a filter. I like the Honeywell 350. (I think that is the model.)

myname1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 3:07 am
I leave the window oen with the trissim closed- but I guess I can try leaving the trissim open a crack. I will also leave the fan off since it's been so cool. But is the air outside moist enough to make a difference? Having the fan going the other direction would dry it out less or somehow help? I know it has that option, too.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 3:08 am
https://www.amazon.com/Honeywe.....AYJPO

myname1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 3:47 am
Thanks! I saw in other threads that the pharmacy might have one. I'm going to try to check it out this afternoon. (Getting other places would be much more difficult.)

MyUsername

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:21 pm
Use a cool mist humidifier, not a warm one. The cool mist helps more for dry airway passages (including noses). Also better health-wise in terms of bacteria growth.

Also use a saline spray every night before bed to help loosen anything dry in the nose and clear out anything else stuffing it up.

myname1

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:49 am
Baruch Hashem, he seems to be fine now. I switched the direction of the ceiling fan and left the trissim open a bit. Now I've actually been turning off the fan because it got much cooler. He woke up once but didn't seem uncomfortable, and last night he slept the whole night! Thank you so much, everyone, for all the help! If it starts up again, I will go searching for a cool mist humidifier.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics