Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Giving an 11 month old milk
1  2  Next

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:28 am
I need to wean my 11 month old for medical reasons. Right now I feed him in the morning and night. And once in the middle when he wakes up. We just spent a week cutting out the middle of the day feed. I'm thinking I should start cutting out the before bed or middle of the night feed but I can't imagine doing that if I don't have a replacement (either myself or my husband would hold him while feeding the bottle). I was thinking of just giving him milk but they say not to give it til he's 1.

Do you think I can just give milk or I really should hold out?

maidale

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:31 am
I think you should hold out a little longer. Would you give him formula or a milk substitute like rice milk?

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:03 am
Ive never heard of not giving milk before one. I. I give milk before one, actually once they start solids they have milk. So far everyone is ok.

Last edited by Blessing1 on Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

chanitroy

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:04 am
There's absolutely no problem giving him whole.milk if he's eating solids too. In Canada the recommendation is 9 months to start with whole milk (if getting varied nutrients in their solid food). Rice milk is actually worse than whole.milk because it doesn't have as much fat, which the babies still need.

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 9:11 am
I have no milk allergies in my family. I pushed myself to nurse until 9 months and then I introduced milk.

reality mom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:05 am
If I were you, I would give my kid Goats milk. It can be purchased in many supermarkets. Its healthier and less likely to cause any complications. Pricey, but worth it.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:10 am
Yes, the recommendation is not to give milk until 1, that doesn't mean you must wait until exactly 365 days after the kid is born. It's a guideline. 11 months is close enough, especially if he eats solids nicely. I would still introduce slowly, just to see how he takes it. Some go for it right away, others are not so into it.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:12 am
amother wrote:
I need to wean my 11 month old for medical reasons. Right now I feed him in the morning and night. And once in the middle when he wakes up. We just spent a week cutting out the middle of the day feed. I'm thinking I should start cutting out the before bed or middle of the night feed but I can't imagine doing that if I don't have a replacement (either myself or my husband would hold him while feeding the bottle). I was thinking of just giving him milk but they say not to give it til he's 1.

Do you think I can just give milk or I really should hold out?

Is your child eating solids?

FWIW my children never got cows milk simply because they were not baby cows.

mommyla

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:49 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

I never understood this sentiment. I drink cow's milk. I am not a baby cow. Same for those who drink goat's milk. Drinking cow's milk does not make one a baby cow, unless you literally believe in "you are what you eat."

OP, I think your child is close enough to a year that I wouldn't worry (and we have dairy allergies in the family), but check with your doctor just in case. Have you given him yogurt or cheese?

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 12:19 pm
mommyla wrote:
I never understood this sentiment. I drink cow's milk. I am not a baby cow. Same for those who drink goat's milk. Drinking cow's milk does not make one a baby cow, unless you literally believe in "you are what you eat."

OP, I think your child is close enough to a year that I wouldn't worry (and we have dairy allergies in the family), but check with your doctor just in case. Have you given him yogurt or cheese?

That is a unique understanding and very simplistic, almost childlike.

Actually I say that because the nutritional needs of a calf are quite different than that of a human. Certainly most can tolerate each others milk but that doesn't mean that cows milk is a nutritional necessity for a human.

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 12:31 pm
Ask your pediatrician if you are unsure. My pediatrician had no problem with cow's milk for both my kids when I asked at or a little after 11 months each.

mommyla

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 12:35 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That is a unique understanding and very simplistic, almost childlike.

Actually I say that because the nutritional needs of a calf are quite different than that of a human. Certainly most can tolerate each others milk but that doesn't mean that cows milk is a nutritional necessity for a human.

Obviously. But it does provide many necessary nutrients. When my kids stopped nursing, they drank cow's milk. It's not like it's detrimental to a human's health. But thanks for the subtle put-down Rolling Eyes OP's kid drinks a bottle, he can't have his mother's milk, why shouldn't he have cow's milk?

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 12:45 pm
He has plenty of solids. Tonz of dairy - in the morning he has baby cereal mixed with yogurt. These days he even has 2 yogurts. He eats cheese, cream cheese sandwiches. Cottage cheese. Its just this milk he hasn't gotten!

I'd rather not start with rice or soy milk since I don't want to get him used to too many new things at once, nor do I want him not to like it. I personally don't like the taste of rice or soy milk. Plus its tons of chemicals and I like to veer away from those - even though, I know, yogurt has and so does milk but at least its basis isn't chemicals.

heidi

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 1:33 pm
Ask your pediatrician. Mine okayed cow's milk for my 11 month old largely bcz my other kids didn't have allergies

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 3:22 pm
One kid got a rash on his chin after having milk. I gave him goats milk until 18 months. He's been fine since.
I ry to push it off as long as possible since their stomach may not be mature enough yet.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 4:07 pm
mommyla wrote:
Obviously. But it does provide many necessary nutrients. When my kids stopped nursing, they drank cow's milk. It's not like it's detrimental to a human's health. But thanks for the subtle put-down Rolling Eyes OP's kid drinks a bottle, he can't have his mother's milk, why shouldn't he have cow's milk?

Please reread my post. I never stated that the ops child cannot have cows milk. I stated what I did with my kids. Parents make choices, there are lots of different ones, simply because my choices aren't your's isn't a reason to invent a position I didn't take.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 4:11 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:

What kind of milk did they get?

reality mom

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 4:24 pm
A top Nutritionist/Dr. who I consult with claims that introducing Cow's Milk early on can be a cause of allergies developing, among other issues. He says cow's milk is for cows! Now some kids are totally fine on it, my kids tend to get skin rashes, diarrhea, and congested. (When I argued with him about his statement, and questioning that if so, goats milk is for goats! So he told me to look up Rashis explanation for "Eretz zavas chalav udevash! " I did. It says Chalav Izim... Goats milk. Hmmmm).

mommyla

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:43 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Please reread my post. I never stated that the ops child cannot have cows milk. I stated what I did with my kids. Parents make choices, there are lots of different ones, simply because my choices aren't your's isn't a reason to invent a position I didn't take.

I read it. "Why shouldn't he have cow's milk" was a rhetorical question. I am aware that my choices may differ from others', but a statement like "my children are not baby cows" insinuates that only cows can drink cow's milk. There is no one food that was created especially for humans, except breast milk of course, which is not an option for OP, so no need to inform her that children don't need cow's milk because they're not baby cows.

Don't know why but something about that "my kids don't drink cow's milk because they're not cows" sounds smug and superior and it rubs me the wrong way.

(Sorry for the detour, OP.)

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:45 pm
[quote="mommyla"]I read it. "Why shouldn't he have cow's milk" was a rhetorical question. I am aware that my choices may differ from others', but a statement like "my children are not baby cows" insinuates that only cows can drink cow's milk. There is no one food that was created especially for humans, except breast milk of course, which is not an option for OP, so no need to inform her that children don't need cow's milk because they're not baby cows.

Don't know why but something about that "my kids don't drink cow's milk because they're not cows" sounds smug and superior and it rubs me the wrong way.

(Sorry for the detour, OP.)[/quote

I didn't say your kids were baby cows I said my kids weren't cows. That's a kind of big stretch to find offense in. But hey if rings your bells.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics