Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How helpful are pilot trips? (In America)

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:45 pm
We are looking at communities and debating whether it's worth going on a pilot trip.

We live in Israel and are moving to America. We can manage one pilot trip, one week long, over one Shabbos.

We'd be looking at 2 cities, but of course could only spend Shabbos in one of them.

This is a manageable trip but far from easy, so we're reluctant to do it if unnecessary. If you went on a pilot trip prior to moving, did you find it helpful? In what ways?

And also...what do you DO on a pilot trip? Walk around? Go to shuls? It would be too early to look at housing so that's not an option, although I suppose we could get a feel for a particular neighborhood we'd want to move to.

Thank you!

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:46 pm
we did a pilot trip. we only went for a weekend but personally I would be nervous to move to a community completely site unseen.

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 3:54 pm
I haven't gone on a pilot trip, but if I did, I would try to daven in as many shuls as possible, certainly the main shul in town (and the Kiddush if there is one) and at least one other one that seems like a good fit, and also to tour the schools (boys and girls).

You could also drop by the main kosher supermarket, the park (or other Shabbos afternoon activity), a shiur, etc. to get a feel for the community and whether it seems like a place you'd be happy. Also take a walk around the main streets where the frum community lives to see the houses, families, etc. Considering the consequences of choosing incorrectly, a picture can be worth a lot more than 1000 words.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
We are looking at communities and debating whether it's worth going on a pilot trip.

We live in Israel and are moving to America. We can manage one pilot trip, one week long, over one Shabbos.

We'd be looking at 2 cities, but of course could only spend Shabbos in one of them.

This is a manageable trip but far from easy, so we're reluctant to do it if unnecessary. If you went on a pilot trip prior to moving, did you find it helpful? In what ways?

And also...what do you DO on a pilot trip? Walk around? Go to shuls? It would be too early to look at housing so that's not an option, although I suppose we could get a feel for a particular neighborhood we'd want to move to.

Thank you!

Could you go for 1 week and 2 shabbatot?

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:49 pm
We never made such a major move, but we did move from one state to another and found visiting the various communities to be helpful, indeed. It was close enough that we could make multiple trips, so our experience is not exactly like yours, but maybe some of the ideas will be helpful.

During each visit we made sure to meet as many different groups of people as possible - staying with one family and eating with at least two others, who would be sure to invite guests. (Many shuls have committees dedicated to setting this up). Staying over Shabbat gives the opportunity to see two shuls close up. In addition to the ambiance during davening, pay attention to the youth program and look at the announcements.

During the weekdays, visit the schools and get an overview of the local real estate market. Depending on where you will be in the US, the variations among schools and towns can be considerable.

If it's too hard and you don't feel the need, don't go. But if you do take the opportunity, it may be very useful.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 8:52 am
Bump, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating