Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
First year teaching-HOURS AND HOURS preparing

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:26 am
I know that your first year teaching always takes longer than once you have your materials.
But is it normal to spend every waking second planning lessons, staying up half the night looking up games or making sheets or looking for creative ways to do something?

I'm not creative at all and I can't think of my own ideas myself. I teach 2nd grade so they can't just do written work all day.

I feel like I spend hours researching the best way to teach something, watching other teacher videos teaching that concept so I can learn the best way to break it down as I don't know how to explain math in such simple, clear ways on my own.

I have no life, no free time, never see friends. Every second I'm not watching my kids I'm preparing.

Is it normal for your first year? Please share your experience.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:33 am
I am teaching many years and have to do this. It is torture and makes me want to look into a different career. My curriculum is always changig and I always have to improve with different strategies and bireaking it down for different students. My administrators are demanding but I know many teachers who have a set curriculum and are not spending hours preparing like I do.

I understand how you feel. Hatzlacha.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:14 am
No, this is not normal. This is too much.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:33 am
the first year as a teacher, or in a new grade, or at a new school is ALWAYS the hardest.
yes there are hours of prep, but what you are describing sounds a little over board.

ive been teaching for 6 years (I have jumped around with grades and material...)

and over time I have realized that not EVERY single lesson needs to be amazing with a video, or a hands on activity, or a new game or ect ect.

since it is your first year, and your prob new to the material, my advice is to get to know the material really really well, (lets say math) and then over time it will be easier to implement cool and different learning models.

I think its more important to really know the material, to have a very clear aim/objective/goal for that lesson, or for that unit and to be able to focus on that instead of games.

yes games are really great, as are hands on activities, but your students will benefit more from you being calm and not racing against the clock to do that days 'thing'

I have seen a difference in myself as a teacher and in my students when I try to look at the bigger picture of things, instead of focusing on every lesson being out of the park amazing.

also are you familiar with Teacher Pay Teacher?
its a great website if you teach secular subjects.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 9:36 am
Of course there is a happy medium.

The more effort you put in the more amazing classes you will give.

Don't keep on going till you fall over the cliff.

Our kids need more teachers like you.

Wish you got paid more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics