Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Posting as amother
Previous  1  2

Does it bother you when people post as amother
Yes  
 12%  [ 11 ]
No  
 87%  [ 78 ]
Total Votes : 89

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
Hi sweety,
Take your hiatus, and get off this site. You know you want to. It's good for you! We will welcome you back with open arms when you are ready.

[How's the application process going?]

Now, I don't know if I'm right, but if I am, do you now understand why people go anonymous?!

I'm posting anonymously to protect the privacy of my friend who I think I'm quoting. A lot of imamothers know each other in real life, and if I post under my screen name, people may figure out who she is.

Nah, not applying to anything :-) I just need a bit of a mental health break. But yeah, you had no way of knowing if I'm your friend or someone else, so I get why you went Anon for that.

Seriously

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:09 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Removing the "read all posts by <user>" button won't really help much. There are some posters who have very good memories, who can keep track of the information that a user posts, and who can therefore figure out who users are.

I have posted enough information about myself under my username that I feel that many people can figure out who I am. Therefore, if I have an issue that I want to keep private IRL, I'll post as amother.

I don't feel like there are that many posters who keep on top of specific details like that

Ok I think most of us know a certain poster lives in Brooklyn or is a doctor in real life because the poster shared that a number of times.

Its more the ease of anyone being able to see all posts at a time and being able to easily put pieces together.

Perhaps its there so before you PM someone you Can have an idea of there hashkafos etc...
So perhaps then the button Could show a random sampling of the posters posts

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:15 pm
I hardly ever post anonymously.

I remember everything everyone writes.

singleagain

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:31 pm
I actually like the "see all posts" it helps me when I want to find a post I know I wrote

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:37 am
Why is your anonymity so important?
I go anonymous if it's personal, about dh or ts a comment I feel could come from anyone.
I sometimes go anonymous and start writing something rude or mean, then I realize that if I can't take responsibility for such a statement, it shouldn't be posted at all.

It's kind of annoying when an anonymous user asks a totally benign question. Or when someone goes anonymous to get all the little personal details out of a sensitive post.
Lady, she left them out for a reason!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
When someone posts as amother, you have the opportunity to consider her opinions without any prejudice. Amother puts ideas ahead of personalities, and I think that's a good thing.

Totally agree with this.

Anonymous posting is extremely important for people still finding their voice, whether on the internet or in real life.

What I find extremely disturbing is when someone calls a poster a "cowardly amother" over a post that was not necessarily or intentionally offensive, it's just that somebody chose to read it that way.

Plenty of my amother posts I would be embarrassed if my screen name was revealed to * other people *, but I always try to be mindful of the fact that God knows what I write, and I don't want to be embarrassed before *Him*.

Seas

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:14 pm
One's SN is also anonymous. The only time one would have to use a double layer of anonymity is if they're posting personal details. If it's just ideas and argumetns, especially if you're criticizing the other posters, do so under your SN.

Zehava

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 12:19 pm
I can't count the times I posted my opinion under my SN and was immediately jumped for "being biased" and "projecting" due to things said posters thought they knew about me.
Had I posted as amother they would have looked at the opinion only and judged by that.
So I definitely see the benefit in posting as amother.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:40 pm
Seas wrote:
One's SN is also anonymous. The only time one would have to use a double layer of anonymity is if they're posting personal details. If it's just ideas and argumetns, especially if you're criticizing the other posters, do so under your SN.

Not everyone's screen name is anonymous. I know people here IRL, have figured out some others and have been figured out by at least two friends! Wave

purple 1

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:28 pm
debsey wrote:
Depends. If someone posts as amother and says something mean or attacking, I think she's a coward. If you're gonna attack someone else, have the guts to use your (still anonymous) screen name.

If someone posts as amother when posing a dilemma or asking for advice, I totally get that.

I agree.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics