Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
"Gentleman's Agreement"

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 1:03 pm
I saw this film yesterday. What do we think of it?

The Einstein character was interesting...

perquacky

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:02 pm
I've only caught bits and pieces of it. Never watched it in its entirety. Keep meaning to, though.
What I saw I really enjoyed.

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:45 pm
One of my favorites- I've watched it at least 4 times.

It's not an inaccurate portrayal of its period, from everything I heard from older relatives who were American citizens by the time the movie came out.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 2:47 pm
sequoia wrote:
I saw this film yesterday. What do we think of it?

The Einstein character was interesting...

I must admit I haven't viewed this in years and don't remember much about the character. With the rains soon to come I will put it on my watch list.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:08 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
One of my favorites- I've watched it at least 4 times.

It's not an inaccurate portrayal of its period, from everything I heard from older relatives who were American citizens by the time the movie came out.

I guess my question is, why couldn't Dave find an apartment in the Lower East Side? Why did he go so far as to give up the job he was offered?

Reality

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:15 pm
I watched the movie quite a few years ago so I don't remember the details clearly to answer your question. I do know the movie is based on a book which I also read a number of years ago. There are some differences between the two and probably the book is more accurate. Have you read the book?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:18 pm
sequoia wrote:
I guess my question is, why couldn't Dave find an apartment in the Lower East Side? Why did he go so far as to give up the job he was offered?

Great question. It doesn't make sense that Jews wouldn't rent to him, perhaps he wasn't right flavor of Jewish?

water_bear88

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 3:53 pm
sequoia wrote:

I wish I still had those relatives living to ask. Sad What I heard most about was discrimination in higher education and "passing", though I'd rather not get into the individual details publicly.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 4:50 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Great question. It doesn't make sense that Jews wouldn't rent to him, perhaps he wasn't right flavor of Jewish?

It just seems unlikely that he couldn't find an apartment anywhere in NYC, with so many established Jewish communities, and had to go live in someone else's house in a WASPy Connecticut suburb where everyone would hate him.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:42 am
sequoia wrote:
It just seems unlikely that he couldn't find an apartment anywhere in NYC, with so many established Jewish communities, and had to go live in someone else's house in a WASPy Connecticut suburb where everyone would hate him.

I seem to remember reading something about housing shortages in major cities after WWII. Maybe there just wasn't much available at all, and he was being turned away from what little there was?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics