Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Kids sharing rated R movies in school!!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:09 pm
My 7 year old son came home today terrified, a classmate of his, who was sitting with him on the bus, decided to tell him a whole narrative from a rated R movie. Hello! my child is seven years old for crying out loud!! I'm so mad and don't know what to do...
Besides for now having to deal with my sons trauma...
How does this happen?
He described the movie to me which was creepy and violent about toys coming alive and killing people.
Please advise what to do?

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:49 pm
That's what happens when you live in a community where children have access to TV and movies, sad to say.

Even in a "careful" home, you never know what will traumatize a child.

When I was a kid, I used to have nightmares from the "children's" TV show Dinosaurs. Remember that one? The big nasty construction boss used to eat his employees when he got mad. You would see the trailor shaking and hear screams of pain coming out from the windows.

There is NO SAFE method of exposing your child to this media. If it accepted in your community, these things will happen.

Happened to me. And I came from a relatively sheltered home. Officially never allowed to watch more than PG, except if a higher rating was pre-approved by parents.

I heard all the crazy stories about Hannibal and Chucky and Texas Chain Saw Massacre and I Know What You Did Last Summer....

Now as a chasidishe person, I am HORRIFIED at the things I watched as a child and heard about from others.

*shudder*

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 7:51 pm
When my ds's classmate shared something inappropriate with friends I asked the school to deal with it. They also had somoneone speak to my ds about the situation.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:16 am
amother wrote:
When my ds's classmate shared something inappropriate with friends I asked the school to deal with it. They also had somoneone speak to my ds about the situation.

Thats cute.
I mean I'm happy it worked out for you. Where I live, in Israel no one would care. They would kick out your own kid for making a fuss. Israeli Bais Yaakov system.....

My neighbor came home asking if she could watch Titanic. (4th grade). She claimed a girl in her class has watched the movie with her mother and she wanted to watch it too. School did nothing and now the entire grade knows what sez is.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 1:20 am
amother wrote:
That's what happens when you live in a community where children have access to TV and movies, sad to say.

Even in a "careful" home, you never know what will traumatize a child.

When I was a kid, I used to have nightmares from the "children's" TV show Dinosaurs. Remember that one? The big nasty construction boss used to eat his employees when he got mad. You would see the trailor shaking and hear screams of pain coming out from the windows.

There is NO SAFE method of exposing your child to this media. If it accepted in your community, these things will happen.

Happened to me. And I came from a relatively sheltered home. Officially never allowed to watch more than PG, except if a higher rating was pre-approved by parents.

I heard all the crazy stories about Hannibal and Chucky and Texas Chain Saw Massacre and I Know What You Did Last Summer....

Now as a chasidishe person, I am HORRIFIED at the things I watched as a child and heard about from others.

*shudder*

This is at the heart of the argument that I have with me and my friend. We both want to shelter out kids but she wants them to have diversity and live in a diverse neighborhood with MO, dati, mizrachi, American yeshivish, chassidish etc. And I'm too scared to do that.... For this reason.

It's so hard. How can you shelter them and teach them to be tolerant and accepting of everyone at the same time??? It's possible for sure but it's very hard to practically do.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 5:47 am
Thing is, sometimes there are very bad kids in charedi milieu too, except they might hide it more. Educate your kids why it will hurt them, and pray.

Of course as a whole, sheltering them and putting them in a sheltered milieu helps with daily life issues. But rotten apples exist everywhere.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 6:14 am
amother wrote:
My 7 year old son came home today terrified, a classmate of his, who was sitting with him on the bus, decided to tell him a whole narrative from a rated R movie. Hello! my child is seven years old for crying out loud!! I'm so mad and don't know what to do...
Besides for now having to deal with my sons trauma...
How does this happen?
He described the movie to me which was creepy and violent about toys coming alive and killing people.
Please advise what to do?

That doesn't sound like an R rated movie, it sounds like Toy Story or some similar kids movie. The best thing to do is not to make a big deal about it. Whatever you do, don't tell the school that the kid is sharing R rated movies.

saw50st8

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 6:30 am
The bus is like the wild west. I prefer driving my kids for this reason.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 6:39 am
Notsobusy wrote:
That doesn't sound like an R rated movie, it sounds like Toy Story or some similar kids movie. The best thing to do is not to make a big deal about it. Whatever you do, don't tell the school that the kid is sharing R rated movies.

Um what version of toy story did you see? The one I know and love does not involve violent toys that kill people. But okay.

OP, this is something you will probably have to deal with on your own end because even assuming the bus has a monitor who can keep an eye the kids, it's not like he/she can monitor every conversation that goes on between the kids.

I would talk to him about what he heard, (oh wow that sounds a little scary. I'm glad it's not real! etc etc) and tell him not to sit next to that boy in the future.

If it continues, you could always talk to the boys parents and ask them to have him keep his movie reviews to himself.

tichellady

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:42 am
I'm thinking right now about one of my siblings who has an amazing imagination and used to make up all sorts of things. I could totally imagine her making up a scary movie plot and sharing it with another kid on the bus. That doesn't mean my parents let us watch horror movies.
Talk to your child about why people watch horror movies and how we know that they are fake, toys are not alive and don't have special powders and most people in the world are good and not interested in harming other people etc

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:56 am
Yeah, Toy Story was not violent. He was probably referring to Chucky.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 9:11 am
amother wrote:
Yeah, Toy Story was not violent. He was probably referring to Chucky.

Well, Sid was pretty nasty, and so were many of his toys.

And in Toy Story 3, some of those toys at the daycare were downright mean.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 9:50 am
I would address my concerns with the other child's parents. Did he really see such a film or was it a figment of a child's active imagination triggered by something in real life?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children