Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Anyone with a fabric sukkah, how do u hang your decorations?

yentadevosha

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 8:05 pm
I've tried everything from funtak, to velcro, and many other types of sticky stuff but nothing really held up. Last yr I tried using the gun that u tag clothing with, but a few fell and I'm getting tiny holes all over. Any other ideas?

mamommommy

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 8:07 pm
A friend of mine who has a canvas sukkah hangs string from the metal bars around the perimeter of the sukkah and then hangs the decorations on with clothes pins.

emama

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:06 pm
My husband hangs a 2X4 piece of wood about half way down each wall of the sukkah by tying rope/sting near the ends, and then attaching the other ends of the rope to the metal frame on top of each wall. (hope you can picture that). Then, we staple the kids' pictures that we save each year on the wood, so we have pictures going all around our sukkah, even though it is made of canvas.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:07 pm
I use safety-pins, and ribbon.

You can either safety-pin the corners of a poster or other decoration to the fabric. Or pin the decorations from the back, so that the pins are only invisible when you are outside of the Sukkah, and not inside.

Or you can hole-punch 2 holes on each top corner of the poster, and tie a (color-coordinated to the Sukkah fabric) ribbon to form a large hanger. Then hang the poster from the poles/beams on top of the wall.

You can do this with other decorations besides for posters as well. Just be creative.

I also use beaded/sugared? faux fruit around the top frame of the Sukkah, and I just stick the stems through the each velcro strap on top, and it works.

Hanging something heavy doesn't usually work with these Sukkahs. But with the right twisting wire, you can create a hanger heavy enough to hang an oil painting in a frame from the poles.

Another nice idea for fabric Sukkahs is making valences, out of lining material, to go around the top of the Sukkah.

Stick to one look. A few little touches, instead of major patchka, looks really nice.

bonitag1

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 9:58 pm
I tie clothes line from corner post to post of the sukkah horizontally and use colorful clothespins and clips to hang pictures and decorations from the clothesline. It actually looks very pretty and is very easy to put up and take down.

Marion

Post Mon, Sep 20 2010, 10:29 pm
When we bought the original succah we bough 2 decorated/painted walls. Last year we extended the succah and those 2 walls are now 1 wall...we were trying to decide what to do with the other wall. Thanks for the ideas ladies!

yentadevosha

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 6:03 am
Thanks everyone! These are some wonderful ideas.

fiddle

Post Tue, Sep 21 2010, 6:24 am
safety pins on the walls and the scach - dental floss to hang the others

RochelC2000

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 8:07 am
MAGNETS!!! Buy small circular magnets, multiple packs, on eBay/amazon etc. Need two people to fix in place as the magnets need to be stuck in the outside at the same time.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 9:21 am
We buy a roll of non stick white velcro (loop side only) in bulk online (it can get pretty expensive to buy local). We hang it across the wall securing it tightly around the metal poles on the sides.
Then we put sticky velcro dots (hook side) onto the decorations and hang it up along the strip of velcro on the wall. If we have enough loop side velcro we'll do 2 rows so we can hang up the decorations at different heights.

challahchallah

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 9:39 am
RochelC2000 wrote:
MAGNETS!!! Buy small circular magnets, multiple packs, on eBay/amazon etc. Need two people to fix in place as the magnets need to be stuck in the outside at the same time.

I love magnets and I can't believe I never thought of this for my sukkah. Thanks for the idea (I just amazon primed a big pack of neos so I can use it this year)!

water_bear88

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:05 am
RochelC2000 wrote:

Just be careful your sukkah isn't in a windy location- if you really rely on the cords for your kosher walls, your walls may not be stable enough to hold onto the magnets. Ours came crashing down one windy evening a few years ago when the canvas walls were swaying a little too much. Since we use string and holes punched or clothespins.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:44 am
challahchallah wrote:
I love magnets and I can't believe I never thought of this for my sukkah. Thanks for the idea (I just amazon primed a big pack of neos so I can use it this year)!

Attach or hang metal yardsticks or similar to minimize lost magnets.

Sew Velcro strips onto the fabric. Two Parallel strips would give you good flexibility with different decorations.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 12:05 pm
From the beams that hold up the schach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics