Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Recovering after the fast

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:01 pm
I did OK with the fast, but now feel horrible. I'm very weak and wish I could just spend the day in bed. I'm eating enough and drinking more than enough but it always takes me a long time (days to weeks) to recover. Anyone else out there like this? Any tips how to get back to myself?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
I did OK with the fast, but now feel horrible. I'm very weak and wish I could just spend the day in bed. I'm eating enough and drinking more than enough but it always takes me a long time (days to weeks) to recover. Anyone else out there like this? Any tips how to get back to myself?

Honestly, that's pretty unusual. Weeks to recover from a fast? Never heard of that. Maybe get it checked out.

tovli toraspicha

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:

I'm the same way (although I don't fast well either). Following for any tips. And sending you hugs and empathy!

smile18

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 3:36 pm
I'm the same. Bh did fast ok but not feeling well today. Supplementing with b12 can be of help. Hope you all feel better soon.

etky

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:01 pm
It takes me a couple of days to totally bounce back.
I go easy on myself if at all possible, especially the day after, regarding physical exertion in particular. I also make sure to drink much more than I would on a normal day.
I used to get sick all the time after fasts until I realized the pattern and made the necessary modifications.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:01 pm
I have this too. Did NOT EVEN FEEL the fast. But the next day - oy!

I plan to rest aa much as possible (well actually I didn't, I planned to do a whole lot of things but on Friday dh reminded me that I will likely be a wreck on Sunday).

I think it just takes time. Coconut water is good, and resting as much as possible.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:22 pm
I also feel totally off kilter after a big fast. I hate it. I don't think it takes weeks to recover but with a slew of yomtov meals coming up later this week, it will be quite a job getting my body and digestion back to normal!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:41 pm
amother wrote:

Are you prone to dehydration? That's me and it takes me a month (once 2 months) to get back to myself. Speak to your rav today and explain how you're feeling right now and how long it lingers for. I did that last year and got direction on what to do going forward with the 2 big fasts.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 4:44 pm
I am a very bad faster and was told to flood my system with electrolytes like Powerade for two weeks before the fast and it has really helped me a lot. And I take Tylenol release pills that help me avoid a headache. But this time was totally different I was sickly nauseous the whole afternoon and as soon as I started drinking I began vomiting. Have been having diarrhea and vomiting on and off and not keeping anything down. Feel shaky and dizzy and that's y I'm in er getting fluids now Sad

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 6:05 pm
Ruby, if you end up in the er, ask a rav. That happened to me, and after a few visits to the er I was told not to fast at all. Not paskening, but you should ask.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 6:49 pm
Have you checked your fasting glucose levels?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 6:53 pm
Thanks for your replies. This has never happened to me before. I will definitely speak to a Rav and yes in the er they tested my glucose levels

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 7:29 pm
You should check your blood insulin level. If your insurance won't cover it you can do it privately for $28.

Also, having a long recovery time is a symptom of Glycogen Storage Disorder, which is pretty common in Jews.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur