Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anything You Post Can And Will Be Used Against You: NY Times

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 5:12 pm
Anything You Post Can And Will Be Used Against You Article by Joel Warner

Quote:
Defamation laws pertain to social media activity, too. In 2015, when someone anonymously posted attacks on Craigslist about one of his clients, Schultz filed a John Doe lawsuit and used subpoenas to force Craigslist and an internet-service provider to release the identity of the individual. "It was clear he thought nobody would find out who he was," says Schultz. The case was settled last year.

Quote:
Protecting Yourself

With social media playing an increasingly prominent role in court cases, how should folks keep their digital activity from landing them in hot water?

For starters, make sure your privacy settings on sites like Facebook and Twitter are set to the highest level, says O'Mara. And if you find yourself facing a legal action, don't delete your accounts; it could look like you're obstructing justice.

But, Most of all, be smart about your social media activity. It might feel like you're just chatting with friends, but, says Mohamedbhai, "most of the time, the things you post on Twitter and Facebook and other social media sites are considered by the courts to be you getting on the top of a building with a megaphone and screaming things to the world."

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 7:16 pm
Don't forget the 10 students accepted at Harvard who were kicked out last June. Their future was changed because of racist posts. Even if you think a post is private, it may not be.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 8:41 pm
Squishy wrote:
Don't forget the 10 students accepted at Harvard who were kicked out last June. Their future was changed because of racist posts. Even if you think a post is private, it may not be.

It wasn't just the racist posts, iirc. It's that all of the people who wrote the posts were notified, and those who were kicked out were the ones who felt they could write all they wanted without consequence, and felt no remorse. It wasn't this cut and dry. And they weren't private posts, they were in a public messaging group that had splintered to smaller groups

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
It wasn't just the racist posts, iirc. It's that all of the people who wrote the posts were notified, and those who were kicked out were the ones who felt they could write all they wanted without consequence, and felt no remorse. It wasn't this cut and dry. And they weren't private posts, they were in a public messaging group that had splintered to smaller groups

But for the racist post, they would be matriculating at Harvard. The point is not to post. Even posts to private individuals can be made public with catastrophic results for the poster. How many revenge [filth] pics are reposted daily?

I read article after article of ill advised tweets and posts causing the poster to get fired. I can recall 3 I read about alone today.

Don't post what you wouldn't want the entire world to know.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:36 pm
Starts as early as 12 and 13 years old, Squishy. It irks me that some of my students still haven't gotten it through their heads that "friends today, gone tomorrow" means their private pics will be all over social media the next day. Why do people think they won't be that 1% to be exposed?

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 10:46 pm
Squishy wrote:
But for the racist post, they would be matriculating at Harvard. The point is not to post. Even posts to private individuals can be made public with catastrophic results for the poster. How many revenge [filth] pics are reposted daily?

I read article after article of ill advised tweets and posts causing the poster to get fired. I can recall 3 I read about alone today.

Don't post what you wouldn't want the entire world to know.

Including what you post here, on anonymous imamother. Nobody ever thinks about that, but they should.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics