Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost for hiring someone to put up sukkah?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 8:54 am
So we've been hiring this guy to put up our sukkah the last few years. We have a medium to slightly above average size panel sukkah. The guy has been charging us $450. My husband gets the feeling that the guy believes that anyone who doesn't hire him to build their sukkah is taking a big risk that their sukkah will be blown down in bad weather. My husband keeps repeating these 2 points:
1. Many people (most?) Build their sukkah themselves and have no problems.
2. Plenty of guys make businesses out of putting up sukkahs and none seem to charge that much money. And again, no problems.
Can I get some feedback on how much some of you pay to have your sukkah put up? I live in bklyn. Ty

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:04 am
We've always wanted to hire but because it costs so much (a few hundred) we do it ourselves. We eventually bought an easy to assemble canvas sukkah but still with our 2 sets of left hands it takes us quite sometime.

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:08 am
amother wrote:
So we've been hiring this guy to put up our sukkah the last few years. We have a medium to slightly above average size panel sukkah. The guy has been charging us $450. My husband gets the feeling that the guy believes that anyone who doesn't hire him to build their sukkah is taking a big risk that their sukkah will be blown down in bad weather. My husband keeps repeating these 2 points:
1. Many people (most?) Build their sukkah themselves and have no problems.
2. Plenty of guys make businesses out of putting up sukkahs and none seem to charge that much money. And again, no problems.
Can I get some feedback on how much some of you pay to have your sukkah put up? I live in bklyn. Ty

How long does it take him?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:18 am
Squishy wrote:
How long does it take him?

Probably 2 hours, at most 2.5 including taking down.

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
Probably 2 hours, at most 2.5 including taking down.

Where are you located?

It is an absurd price. Why don't you hire some day laborers or bouchurs who are off? Day laborers are $10/$12/$15 an hour. They would be delighted with $50 to $100 for that job.

We never had out sukkah blown over.

doctorima

Post Sun, Sep 17 2017, 10:20 am
DH puts up our sukkah, but that price sounds really, really high, unless you live OOT in a place where prices are inflated. Assuming your sukkah is a standard model from one of the big companies that makes them, and there's nothing unusual about your setup (e.g. on a high roof exposed to strong winds), there's nothing special about this person's assembly techniques that you shouldn't be able to replicate yourself. I would definitely call around to get a few other quotes.

asp40

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 6:14 am
He can ask whatever he wants, if you're willing to pay it. Sounds insanely expensive to me.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 19 2017, 8:48 am
Crazy. My parents's worker did it for a couple banknotes...

shanie5

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 6:25 pm
Do you have any yeshiva boys nearby? Many like to earn some extra money putting up succas. my sons do it all the time. figure paying someone $20 an hour. Thats $50 for 2.5 hours. At $450, you are paying $180 an hour if it takes him 2.5 hours. ($90 hour if its 2.5 hours to put up and another 2.5 to take down). He is ripping you off!

tymama

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 7:14 pm
We paid $200 to put it up. Took the guy about 3 hours. (Including bamboo schach) and he's going to charge us $100 to take it down and put it back in the garage

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Sep 25 2017, 11:23 pm
My husband is a professional, contractor, repair guy, and he's charging $200 to put up a sukah

shanie5

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
My husband is a professional, contractor, repair guy, and he's charging $200 to put up a sukah

Thats a good price, but most succahs do not need a professionalto build.

Blessing1

Post Thu, Sep 28 2017, 8:08 pm
In my area many people hire guys to do it, the normal price is $150-$200 including taking it apart & putting it in storage.

momsrus

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 9:51 pm
Does anyone have a phone number for someone in Brooklyn that assembles?

Lani22

Post Sat, Sep 30 2017, 11:25 pm
I paid 2 high school boys $80 to put up my succah. It took them 2 hrs. I live in nj.

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 11:17 pm
we have a 21 year old neighbor (call him Mo) who does it for a meal. we help him, but he does the bulk of the work. We have him for pizza. Smile In the past we had a tough to put together sukkah and he was the only one who really knew how it went together. this year we bought a much sturdier, easy to put together sukkah. Mo's father knew exactly how to put it together but Mo had no experience with this type of sukkah. So my hubby and Mo called the Dad and it was up within an hour. We'll probably invite their entire family over for pizza. Smile

I usually take down myself. This one I might need hubby's help, but taking it down should be quick and easy.

One year, Mo wasn't available, or out of town or something--- we hired another guy--- he TOTALLY ripped us off and charged us far too much-- it was around $200 I think. Happy to pay a meal, or even $50 or so, but geez, we're talking about an hour or two's worth of work, not a whole day.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 11:22 pm
I know someone who charges $500 to do it and his schedule is packed with sukkahs.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 01 2017, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
I know someone who charges $500 to do it and his schedule is packed with sukkahs.

That's odd. I just don't think that the level of expertise required to build a sukkah necessitates hiring someone charging top dollar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics