Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Claims his "hands hurt"
Previous  1  2  3  4

salt

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 2:40 am
Abby2 wrote:
I have found giving "choices " very effective. From my 3 year old to my 9 year old.

Eg: "yanki, please clean up the Lego"
Yanki "my hands hurt"
Mom " wow, that must be so hard for you, I'll help you!"
Yanki" no, I wont help "
Mom "yanki, you have a choice, either you can help mommy clean up the lego, or you can choose not to play with the lego for a few days so your hands can get better."

Hopefully he chooses right.
As others have said, it doesn't work straight away and needs constant work, and you will go backwards. But you need to persevere.

There are resources online for the "choices" I can't remember what they are called but maybe someone can weigh in.

Choices are great.
I would say more like choices between what he's going to help with. Not between helping or getting toys taken away.
eg. "wow there's a big mess here, let's clear up together before we read a story. I'll help. What will you start with. The lego or the cards?"

Lots of things to get done in the morning: "Right. We have to go to the bathroom, eat breakfast, get dressed and brush hair. What order do you want to do it in? What do you choose first?"

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 2:57 am
amother wrote:
What makes me more frustrated, is that I HAVE tried all of these things--but they are just not working. Seems like the more positive reinforcement I give him he's either "not in the mood for that thing." He just wants EVERYTHING to be "fair" but his definition of fair is if I help him as much as HE wants. So its hard for me to discern if this "hands hurting" is legit or just another hypochondriac excuse as to why he's not contributing. I'm sorry if I'm just "kvetching" some more, but when I'm dealing with a daily 30-1 hr long tantrum where I'm locking myself and him in the bathroom b/c he's throwing an out-of-control tantrum (throwing things at me and trying to hurt/bite me) not letting me get ANYTHING done, and then he demands that I help him NOW and even when I give in to his requests out of love, he does nothing about his end of the bargain, it just feels like nothing works with him and he always manages to manipulate his way to what he wants. How do I find out what is going on with his hands?

A few things.

First of all, out of the suggestions of positive ways to work with your son which I mentioned in my earlier post, the most important thing I mentioned is to do it in small steps. It took 6 months of small steps for my daughter to dress herself every day. But we gave her steps she could handle - teeny tiny ones, every week, until she got it. Even if it was just 1 sock, so for a whole week, she gets a star every day she puts on one sock. The next week she can get a star any day she puts on two socks. If that's too much, we spend another week on just one sock instead. It took weeks and months to just get her to put her clothes on herself, with us sitting by patiently with her, and dressing her the rest of the way. And praising each and every tiny thing she did herself. After a year of that, she gets dressed all by herself in the mornings in a timely fashion with no intervention from us at all. Same thing for cleaning up. Put on a timer for just 1 minute or even just 30 seconds if you have to. Spend 3 weeks on that before moving to 2 minutes. In several months, you'll have a kid who can spend 10 minutes cleaning their room. It takes time at this age, and he clearly has an issue with doing these things, and so starting at a very bare minimum is necessary.

Secondly, as far as his hands, I have a few ideas on that. My daughter actually does have some physical issues, so we've been down this road. Things to check out:
1) Muscle tone and Joint mobility (yes, both) - get evaluated by an orthopedist, a neurologist, and a physical therapist (yes, all three). Make sure to assess not just the hands, but the shoulders as well, as much of our hand strength actually stems from the shoulders. Joint mobility in particular should be evaluated in the small joints of the hand (I.e. fingers), as well as the larger joints (wrists, elbows, shoulders). His muscle tone and joint mobility should both be evaluated to see if they are too high or low. Either one could cause pain.
2) Dyspraxia / Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - these are actually the same thing with different names, but it means there is a difficulty with motor planning. It often gets overlooked. It wouldn't actually cause direct physical pain, but it might be hard for your son to figure out how to coordinate his hands properly, and he may just tell you that they hurt, because it's easier to explain. It could be they also really hurt because he is not using them properly because his motor planning isn't great. Kids like this also can't usually explain that tasks that require motor skills are hard for them, and so they often protest having do things (like clearing something off the table or putting on a shirt), because they have negative associations with it because it's hard, even if they can't verbalize that. It's not always obvious - don't say that just because your son can build with legos and play with a ball that this isn't a problem. Many people have this undiagnosed. A developmental pediatrician or developmental neurologist (is that what they are called) can evaluate this.
3) Sensory problem - If you're son has sensory issues, touching things could cause him pain. The feel of the candy wrappers, toys, clothes, etc on his hands could cause actual pain and discomfort. Kids with sensory problems also often have low frustration tolerance in general and more/longer tantrums than the average kid. This should be evaluated by a neurologist and an OT.
4) Executive functioning - meaning, ADHD or other difficulty with executive function. A lot of what you describe is common among ADHD kids - trouble with multi-step tasks (like getting dressed), trouble with tasks that require the ability to break things down into smaller tasks (cleaning a room full of toys), trouble following directions (even simple ones). Sometimes, it's not obvious it's hard for them, they just put up a major fight because they have negative associations with it, even if they can't verbalize it. And he may say that his hands hurt, because it's easier to explain (though ADHD wouldn't cause direct physical pain). Kids with ADHD also often have low frustration tolerance, more tantrums, impulsive outburst (especially when emotions run high, they may lash out in a physically aggressive manner or say hurtful things). Sound familiar? Kids with ADHD also tend to have sensory problems, if you suspect that. A neurologist or neuropsychiatrist (again, is that what it's called) can diagnose this. ADHD can be diagnosed as young as age 4 these days, so no reason to wait to get started.

Out of curiosity, did your son crawl on all fours (hands and knees together, rather than just scooting on stomach or bottom)? Some kids who never crawled on all fours have weakness in their hands, which can be fixed by OT.

Lastly, you may want to read the book 'The Explosive Child'. It may have some good tips for you.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:20 am
My 2yo helps more than my 5.5 yo. She hasn't learned no yet and enjoys the "game" of following commands. DS 5.5 wants to do what he wants. He wants to use his father's big drill even though he could hardly lift it. He doesn't want to pick up toys and toss trash.
Today I picked up most of the toys and garbage, then he flooded the mirpeset to clean it for Succos.
Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to brag to the rest of the family how well he cleaned!

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:19 am
Sounds tough, OP.

I think some of the responses here are way too harsh. It seems like some people are starting with the assumption that the child has no developmental/emotional issues, and working backward from there (ie, looking for things OP might be doing to cause a "normal" child to act this way).

But some kids are just like this. Not because their mothers are too demanding, or don't show enough love, etc. Just because that's their emotional makeup, and they need extra help to learn to communicate, to express emotions in an appropriate way, and to regulate their emotions.

That said, OP - the advice you got here is good.

I believe you that you love your kid and show him love; I believe your requests are reasonable. But still, the best advice is to show even more love and attention. Not necessarily when he's demanding attention; in fact, davka when he isn't. Show him that he gets attention and love even when he isn't tantruming or demanding. (not that you act cold when he is demanding, of course)

And to focus on 1-2 things you want to work on, and try to move forward with baby steps. Heap lots of praise on him when he shows improvement in those areas. (Don't make it about what his siblings do - yes, older siblings will complain that it's not fair that he doesn't have to do XYZ when they do, but that's because they're too young to understand that not all kids have the same abilities, not because it's actually unjust. If anything, give the other siblings extra treats/praise as well.)

Does he express his emotions well? It might help to help him name his emotions. Like, "you're very angry right now, aren't you" or "you're sad that you missed shul." Children's books might help - like, if he gets upset by new situations, a story about a kid who's scared before his first day of school; maybe a book about a kid who gets a new baby sibling.

See if there's anything that can help him calm down faster. Either to prevent a tantrum, or to calm him down after 2-3 minutes of crying. Maybe music, maybe a snack, maybe a book on tape... Not as a reward for crying, more like, "Dovi, when you've calmed down, we're having juice and crackers in the living room." And then walk out. Or turn on a story on tape in his room, and walk out. Not everything will work, but something might.

One other thing - take extra care with his physical needs. Like, avoiding low blood sugar, maybe he needs a daily nap or quiet time immediately after school/daycare... I'm not saying you neglect his needs, but for kids who have trouble regulating emotions being tired or hungry can make it SO much worse.

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:23 am
All the above is while waiting for/in addition to a professional assessment and treatment. I think it's worth getting him checked out.

And maybe getting some help from a child therapist, if that's an option. It sounds like you're at a point where you want to help him, but don't understand what it is he wants or needs. IMO that's exactly the kind of thing therapy can be great for.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:28 pm
ora_43 wrote:
All the above is while waiting for/in addition to a professional assessment and treatment. I think it's worth getting him checked out.

And maybe getting some help from a child therapist, if that's an option. It sounds like you're at a point where you want to help him, but don't understand what it is he wants or needs. IMO that's exactly the kind of thing therapy can be great for.

This. You put it very clearly.

Zehava

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 12:55 pm
Ora the reason I am being harsh is because not necessarily am I making assumptions from the childs behavior but I am seeing a very disturbing attitude portrayed in the mother's own wording. The way she expects him to "do his share" and "contribute" and the way she obsessively focuses on every tiny detail of his misbehavior.
Seeing that, the child's behavior is no surprise to me. It is nearly impossible for an attitude like that not to affect a child. Every child expresses themselves in different ways. The older one might be reacting by being the "good" one and doing what's expected of him and this younger one might be reacting by shutting down and refusing any and all requests.
What happens then is that this child becomes the scapegoat, the object of the mother's misery, of her complaints, and she then proceeds to pin all sorts of issues on him to justify her obsessive complaining.
This is a common proven dynamic in unhealthy parenting.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 2:35 pm
amother wrote:
A few things.

First of all, out of the suggestions of positive ways to work with your son which I mentioned in my earlier post, the most important thing I mentioned is to do it in small steps. It took 6 months of small steps for my daughter to dress herself every day. But we gave her steps she could handle - teeny tiny ones, every week, until she got it. Even if it was just 1 sock, so for a whole week, she gets a star every day she puts on one sock. The next week she can get a star any day she puts on two socks. If that's too much, we spend another week on just one sock instead. It took weeks and months to just get her to put her clothes on herself, with us sitting by patiently with her, and dressing her the rest of the way. And praising each and every tiny thing she did herself. After a year of that, she gets dressed all by herself in the mornings in a timely fashion with no intervention from us at all. Same thing for cleaning up. Put on a timer for just 1 minute or even just 30 seconds if you have to. Spend 3 weeks on that before moving to 2 minutes. In several months, you'll have a kid who can spend 10 minutes cleaning their room. It takes time at this age, and he clearly has an issue with doing these things, and so starting at a very bare minimum is necessary.

Secondly, as far as his hands, I have a few ideas on that. My daughter actually does have some physical issues, so we've been down this road. Things to check out:
1) Muscle tone and Joint mobility (yes, both) - get evaluated by an orthopedist, a neurologist, and a physical therapist (yes, all three). Make sure to assess not just the hands, but the shoulders as well, as much of our hand strength actually stems from the shoulders. Joint mobility in particular should be evaluated in the small joints of the hand (I.e. fingers), as well as the larger joints (wrists, elbows, shoulders). His muscle tone and joint mobility should both be evaluated to see if they are too high or low. Either one could cause pain.
2) Dyspraxia / Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) - these are actually the same thing with different names, but it means there is a difficulty with motor planning. It often gets overlooked. It wouldn't actually cause direct physical pain, but it might be hard for your son to figure out how to coordinate his hands properly, and he may just tell you that they hurt, because it's easier to explain. It could be they also really hurt because he is not using them properly because his motor planning isn't great. Kids like this also can't usually explain that tasks that require motor skills are hard for them, and so they often protest having do things (like clearing something off the table or putting on a shirt), because they have negative associations with it because it's hard, even if they can't verbalize that. It's not always obvious - don't say that just because your son can build with legos and play with a ball that this isn't a problem. Many people have this undiagnosed. A developmental pediatrician or developmental neurologist (is that what they are called) can evaluate this.
3) Sensory problem - If you're son has sensory issues, touching things could cause him pain. The feel of the candy wrappers, toys, clothes, etc on his hands could cause actual pain and discomfort. Kids with sensory problems also often have low frustration tolerance in general and more/longer tantrums than the average kid. This should be evaluated by a neurologist and an OT.
4) Executive functioning - meaning, ADHD or other difficulty with executive function. A lot of what you describe is common among ADHD kids - trouble with multi-step tasks (like getting dressed), trouble with tasks that require the ability to break things down into smaller tasks (cleaning a room full of toys), trouble following directions (even simple ones). Sometimes, it's not obvious it's hard for them, they just put up a major fight because they have negative associations with it, even if they can't verbalize it. And he may say that his hands hurt, because it's easier to explain (though ADHD wouldn't cause direct physical pain). Kids with ADHD also often have low frustration tolerance, more tantrums, impulsive outburst (especially when emotions run high, they may lash out in a physically aggressive manner or say hurtful things). Sound familiar? Kids with ADHD also tend to have sensory problems, if you suspect that. A neurologist or neuropsychiatrist (again, is that what it's called) can diagnose this. ADHD can be diagnosed as young as age 4 these days, so no reason to wait to get started.

Out of curiosity, did your son crawl on all fours (hands and knees together, rather than just scooting on stomach or bottom)? Some kids who never crawled on all fours have weakness in their hands, which can be fixed by OT.

Lastly, you may want to read the book 'The Explosive Child'. It may have some good tips for you.

FTR, I HAVE been reading a lot of these posts. This has been one of the few to offer a few practical solutions--many have been practical--but I HAVE tried the classic behavior modification route and instead of bashing my parenting style--no I'm not "worn out and keep having kids" its more that this attitude is spreading to my other kids and its making living in our house difficult b/c he just keeps playing and will not acknowledge the time to stop without throwing a major tantrum. I do think there is SOMETHING physiological/psychological going on. I've been WAITING for him to get services since MARCH--and its been a run-around. I thank those who are validating that this NOT normal 5 year-old behavior. I appreciate this about dyspraxia--I have a different child with this. As for his motor skills--he was early with most things aside from rollng over--but he figured it out quickly enough. He walked at 10.5 months, crawled normally. While my dyspraxic kid has had difficulty with buttons and riding his bike--this kid was buttoning at 3.5 and if we had worked on it more consciously this summer I'm sure would've been riding a bike without training wheels. I tried going the sensory route, but he's really not that sensory--just VERY sensitive and somewhat fearful--though he's a daredevil otherwise. The only other "clue" I have is that he doesn't like to walk a lot. He will insist on going in the shopping cart/stroller, but I suspect that its more of a jealousy thing than a fatigue thing--but I can't prove it.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 4:44 pm
OP, at this point, you have enough experience to know that asking him to do favors is going to trigger an emotional response within him that will make him angry. Every time you ask him something and he experiences this angry reaction within himself, it builds on his prior anger and resentment and further cements his association with your asking him things as a negative experience.

It seems it has gotten to the point where he's unwilling to even do chores for himself, much less for you.

His other behaviors indicate that he wants to be babied. You said he's a sensitive child, which means he might need more coddling and more hugs than some other children. He has two younger siblings, which may have caused him to get less attention when he was a baby, and he has at least 2 siblings that seem to require less attention than he does. That doesn't mean he doesn't require extra attention.

For both of your sake, certainly stop asking him to do anything for you. Where he is now, each time is going to further cement his anger toward you asking him to do chores. He needs to lose this association. Even if he grudgingly does it 1/3 times, you're not winning in the long run.

What would happen if for the next few weeks or even a month, you babied him? Instead of asking him to get dressed, you just went into his room and dressed him without comment about whose responsibility it is? This could also give him precious extra time with you. When you ask all the kids to clean up and he does a fraction of his siblings, just thank everyone so much for all their help, and keep commenting on how proud you are of the helpers, including him, if he's there, but don't comment on him not being there if he runs away. (If your other kids comment on it, say you're very proud of them for helping, everyone is stronger at different stuff, and 5yo has great middos when it comes to xyz. And you are so so proud of them for helping.)

The point of that is to create distance between you asking him to do stuff and his negative associations. After a month of this, you can try implementing parts of it, and maybe consult a child psychologist with some sort of action plan. You might not "get" him bc your personality might be more like your other children, but his needs are very much real.

A side point: where is your dh in all this? Also, are these traits, by any chance, shared by dh?

DREAMING

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 6:27 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Sounds tough, OP.

I think some of the responses here are way too harsh. It seems like some people are starting with the assumption that the child has no developmental/emotional issues, and working backward from there (ie, looking for things OP might be doing to cause a "normal" child to act this way).

But some kids are just like this. Not because their mothers are too demanding, or don't show enough love, etc. Just because that's their emotional makeup, and they need extra help to learn to communicate, to express emotions in an appropriate way, and to regulate their emotions.

That said, OP - the advice you got here is good.

I believe you that you love your kid and show him love; I believe your requests are reasonable. But still, the best advice is to show even more love and attention. Not necessarily when he's demanding attention; in fact, davka when he isn't. Show him that he gets attention and love even when he isn't tantruming or demanding. (not that you act cold when he is demanding, of course)

And to focus on 1-2 things you want to work on, and try to move forward with baby steps. Heap lots of praise on him when he shows improvement in those areas. (Don't make it about what his siblings do - yes, older siblings will complain that it's not fair that he doesn't have to do XYZ when they do, but that's because they're too young to understand that not all kids have the same abilities, not because it's actually unjust. If anything, give the other siblings extra treats/praise as well.)

Does he express his emotions well? It might help to help him name his emotions. Like, "you're very angry right now, aren't you" or "you're sad that you missed shul." Children's books might help - like, if he gets upset by new situations, a story about a kid who's scared before his first day of school; maybe a book about a kid who gets a new baby sibling.

See if there's anything that can help him calm down faster. Either to prevent a tantrum, or to calm him down after 2-3 minutes of crying. Maybe music, maybe a snack, maybe a book on tape... Not as a reward for crying, more like, "Dovi, when you've calmed down, we're having juice and crackers in the living room." And then walk out. Or turn on a story on tape in his room, and walk out. Not everything will work, but something might.

One other thing - take extra care with his physical needs. Like, avoiding low blood sugar, maybe he needs a daily nap or quiet time immediately after school/daycare... I'm not saying you neglect his needs, but for kids who have trouble regulating emotions being tired or hungry can make it SO much worse.

Agreed!!!

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:05 pm
OP was you kid always this way? If not you may want to look into PANS/PANDAS. There are a lot of clues in your post. People that have heard of it tend to think it presents as OCD/tics, but IME many people don't know that it can cause oppositional/defiant/irrational/behavior, rages and meltdowns, regressive behavior (wanting to be (treated) like a baby, losing previously acquired skills), sensory and motor issues, executive functioning issues, adhd-like symptoms, mood swings, etc. Joint pain can also be a sign. Most typical behavioral approaches do not work on such kids.

That being said, even if it doesn't turn out to be that, I think it's safe to say that whatever is causing him to behave this way is *not his fault*. It must be beyond frustrating to deal with him, but he deserves all the empathy and acceptance in the world. Because it's obvious he can't help it and expecting it of him is simply unfair.

Laiya

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 8:42 pm
OP, you sound like you are really trying hard and the situation is very stressful. This is just my perspective, and it might be completely wrong.

You describe how ds wanted to help with the sukkah. You put the word “help” in quotation marks. He tried to build some contraption, unrelated to building the sukkah, and he refused your requests to do things that would have actually been helpful to you.

It’s frustrating when we have so much to get done and the kids seem to be slowing everything down, so this is not a judgment.

But I wonder if, in ds’s mind, he felt like he was helping build the sukkah, because he was creating something using sukkah building materials?

Like when dd 5 helped braid the challah, and we told her it tasted so delicious because of how beautifully she’d braided it. That’s not logical, but to a 5 year old, that type of association makes sense.

But then your ds’s creation broke.

That may have felt devastating to him. The way dh might feel if the sukkah he just built collapsed in a gust of wind.

No one validated ds’s feelings.

Next, ds threw a tantrum and tried to bite you and throw things

OP, you wrote that you don’t know what triggers ds’s tantrums.

Is it possible that the trigger is having his feelings invalidated or not acknowledged? Can the tantrum be an attempt to get you to understand how sad and angry he feels?

Again, I’m not judging you. Maybe you do acknowledge his feelings a lot, but this is an extremely sensitive kid who just needs tons and tons of extra tlc. Hth.

going-up

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:06 pm
I have to say I am learning so much from this thread! Laiya you gave me new glasses with that prospective. As well as so many other posters amazing tips.

It's unfortunate and I feel very bad for you OP that you are going through such a difficult time. But thank you for posting this question so I could read all the amazing replies including the quoted reply. Some mothers wouldn't even try to work things out. Kol hakavod to you and thank you for starting this conversation. I hope you get the answers you are looking for very soon!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 9:09 pm
Laiya wrote:
OP, you sound like you are really trying hard and the situation is very stressful. This is just my perspective, and it might be completely wrong.

You describe how ds wanted to help with the sukkah. You put the word “help” in quotation marks. He tried to build some contraption, unrelated to building the sukkah, and he refused your requests to do things that would have actually been helpful to you.

It’s frustrating when we have so much to get done and the kids seem to be slowing everything down, so this is not a judgment.

But I wonder if, in ds’s mind, he felt like he was helping build the sukkah, because he was creating something using sukkah building materials?

Like when dd 5 helped braid the challah, and we told her it tasted so delicious because of how beautifully she’d braided it. That’s not logical, but to a 5 year old, that type of association makes sense.

But then your ds’s creation broke.

That may have felt devastating to him. The way dh might feel if the sukkah he just built collapsed in a gust of wind.

No one validated ds’s feelings.

Next, ds threw a tantrum and tried to bite you and throw things

OP, you wrote that you don’t know what triggers ds’s tantrums.

Is it possible that the trigger is having his feelings invalidated or not acknowledged? Can the tantrum be an attempt to get you to understand how sad and angry he feels?

Again, I’m not judging you. Maybe you do acknowledge his feelings a lot, but this is an extremely sensitive kid who just needs tons and tons of extra tlc. Hth.

This.
I also have a 5 year old son.
Motze Y"K, I came home with him from the shuhl accross our home. Suddenly, he takes his hand out of mine and tells me I want to pick up totty from the mens shuhl. A minute later my husband came home and we made havdala right away so everyone can break the fast. My 5 year old was not here yet.
When my husband was just about finishing havdala, he walks in, sees we are in middle of havdala already and throws a tantrum. I. Could. Not. Calm. This. Child. Down.
I tried holding him soothing him explaining why we didnt wait because the fasters were hungry. Nothing helped. He kicked and beat me and everyone else. He was angry.
I could not understand, what bothers him? So he didnt hear havdala, big deal!!!

Then....
Half an hour later when we were all sitting by the meal, he blurts out; I brought the bsamim home from shuhl!! Now none of you are getting it because you didnt wait for me!

Oh-kay!!

I had no clue that he saw my older son taking along the bsamim to shuhl in the morning.
I had no idea he remembered to look for it at night while my older son totally forgot about it.
I had no idea what his intentions were.
I had no idea whats doing in his little head. Thankfully, he revealed it to me.

I asked him;
Thats why you were so upset? Yes.
You thought we were waiting for the bsamim? Yes.
You thought we will wait for you? Yes.
Were you hurt when you saw we didnt wait for you? Yes.
Where did you feel the hurt? He shows; in my eyes.
Do you know we didn't sniff bsamim this week because we didnt find it? Do you know what a big favor this is? Thank you!!! You remembered!! Look how much you care! Wow!!
Do you want us to make havdala again just for you? And everyone else will just sniff? Yes.
Ok. You will say a bracha because totty said it already.
We went back into the kitchen, made havdala again, sniffed bsamim, he drank the grape juice and we lived happily ever after.

I thought this was a typical tantrum. It was not. This was a small child, living in his reality, not knowing how to communicate his message.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children