Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Desperate for math special ed teacher in public school

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 6:56 am
I teach math in a public school in Brooklyn. My school is desperate for a math special ed teacher. I'm desperate, too, since I've been teaching in integrated classrooms with subs.

Is there anyone here who's a special ed teacher with a math background (preferably math certification) and is looking for a job?

The school is quiet and in a good neighborhood.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:34 am
This used to be my dream job.
Now I'm retired and that's a dream!

How much do they pay?

amother
Black

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 7:36 am
One more question, what grade?

I think my certification goes to 6 grade.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:21 am
I'm already committed to a different job for this year but the dreamer in me wants more details. Is this a full-time position? Does it require a math certification or is that just an extra bonus? What grade(s)?

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 10:29 am
In case anyone doesn't love math (although I do!!), I'm looking to hire an ICT teacher for primarily ELA classes at the HS level, near Crown Heights. There is a real dearth of sped candidates in the system right now!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:10 am
amother wrote:

Is there anyone here who's a special ed teacher with a math background (preferably math certification) and is looking for a job?

The school is quiet and in a good neighborhood.

Hours?
Pay?
Neighborhood?

Dd is a math teacher and may consider, depending on hours, pay, and neighborhood.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:12 am
nicole81 wrote:
In case anyone doesn't love math (although I do!!), I'm looking to hire an ICT teacher for primarily ELA classes at the HS level, near Crown Heights. There is a real dearth of sped candidates in the system right now!

I can pass this on to dd who's an excellent math teacher. Can you say the hours and pay?

nicole81

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
I can pass this on to dd who's an excellent math teacher. Can you say the hours and pay?

I think you meant to quote the OP, but I'm guessing that in both of our cases, as we're in public schools, the work hours and pay are as per the UFT contract. Starting salary for someone with a BA is 54K, and with a masters, $60,700. More specifics are publicly available on the UFT website.

Speaking for my school, teacher hours are 8:17-3:57 on Mondays, 8:17-3:52 on Tuesdays, and 8:17-2:37 the rest of the week. Other schools will have the same amount of work hours, but may differ with start and end times.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 26 2017, 5:43 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I think you meant to quote the OP, but I'm guessing that in both of our cases, as we're in public schools, the work hours and pay are as per the UFT contract. Starting salary for someone with a BA is 54K, and with a masters, $60,700. More specifics are publicly available on the UFT website.

Speaking for my school, teacher hours are 8:17-3:57 on Mondays, 8:17-3:52 on Tuesdays, and 8:17-2:37 the rest of the week. Other schools will have the same amount of work hours, but may differ with start and end times.

I should have mentioned that it's high school math -- I teach Algebra I, but they're looking for Geometry and Algebra II, also. I'm pretty sure they're looking for someone who at the very least can handle themselves in a math classroom. There are 3 different math teachers who all need special ed teachers in their rooms--we're all dealing with subs.

This poster is correct about the salary.

I work in Bensonhurst. The hours are 8-3:40 on Monday, 8-3:35 on Tuesday, and 8-2:20 Wednesday through Friday.

There are a few other frum women who work here. The school is respectful of frum people.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 6:07 am
Bump-anyone?

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 27 2017, 10:26 am
Good luck! Sounds rough having subs for special ed.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 02 2017, 11:20 pm
I have a ba in math and a quarter of the way through my ma in special ed. Would love to teach geometry! Is it possible without complete masters?!

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:59 pm
[quote="amother"hi]I teach math in a public school in Brooklyn. My school is desperate for a math special ed teacher. I'm desperate, too, since I've been teaching in integrated classrooms with subs.

The school is quiet and in a good neighborhood.[/quote]

Is there any contact info?

seeker

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
I have a ba in math and a quarter of the way through my ma in special ed. Would love to teach geometry! Is it possible without complete masters?!

There's a way to get teacher certification before completing the masters. Look into it. Ask your masters program to help you. It's called a transitional certification, if I'm not mistaken.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics