Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moved out of Brooklyn? Tell me about your experience!

amother
Green

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 3:23 pm
If you've previously lived in Brooklyn and have decided to move out, can you tell me about your experience?

What are the pros and cons...?
Can you mention where you moved to?
If you've moved into Brooklyn from oot same question applies.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 3:42 pm
We're staying. We have our jobs, schools and some of our family here. What we're giving up by staying is square footage which we are ok with. We've crunched the numbers and due to other costs OOT which we don't have here (2nd car, travel, higher tuition, higher kosher food costs) the end result is that it doesn't pay for us unless we're more desperate for space than all the other things that we'd give up.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 7:51 pm
I moved out. Wasn't originally from Brooklyn. Didn't see the beauty in it. Don't like looking for parking. Didn't like being cramped. Couldn't stand the lack of eruv in Flatbush. Happier now. Kids go to very good schools. Tuition is expesive. Didn't move to a cheaper place. So things are more expensive now where I live. But staying in Brooklyn was never an option for me.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
I moved out. Wasn't originally from Brooklyn. Didn't see the beauty in it. Don't like looking for parking. Didn't like being cramped. Couldn't stand the lack of eruv in Flatbush. Happier now. Kids go to very good schools. Tuition is expesive. Didn't move to a cheaper place. So things are more expensive now where I live. But staying in Brooklyn was never an option for me.

Same for me. I didn't grow up in Brooklyn and didn't know anyone there. I still live in NY so expenses are similar, but we are near family and know a lot more people here so much happier.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:16 pm
My DH and I are both from Brooklyn and after 3 years of marriage we picked up and moved to Monsey. The best thing we've ever done....never looked back or regretted it!!! Love every second here and every time we go back to Brooklyn we can't understand how pple still live there.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:16 pm
Quote:
the end result is that it doesn't pay for us unless we're more desperate for space than all the other things that we'd give up.

I live OOT and this is what I tell people all the time. When everything is added up, I don't think there is such a huge difference in the cost of living in most places (unless you're in a state with tuition vouchers). The question is more what are you getting for your money. My mortgage on a 3000sq ft home is around the same as rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in New York. Salaries may be a little lower but the work hours may be more relaxed.
It's more about a quality of life change than a cost of living change.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:20 pm
I moved out of NY to PA. We are so much better off. I hate city life. Where we live is not so rural but I love that I can drive 15 minutes and be in farmland. I need to be near nature.

The lack of space in Brooklyn was making me crazy. I didnt realize how much it was affecting me until I moved out.

We're close enough to NY that I can drive in for simchas etc. Only drawback is we need to rent an apt every time we visit which is quite pricey. Still more than offset by the drop in our rent.

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
the end result is that it doesn't pay for us unless we're more desperate for space than all the other things that we'd give up.

I live OOT and this is what I tell people all the time. When everything is added up, I don't think there is such a huge difference in the cost of living in most places (unless you're in a state with tuition vouchers). The question is more what are you getting for your money. My mortgage on a 3000sq ft home is around the same as rent on a 1 bedroom apartment in New York. Salaries may be a little lower but the work hours may be more relaxed.
It's more about a quality of life change than a cost of living change.

Like I mentioned BH we don't need the extra SF even if it would be nice to have and the part time job that I have is a short walk from home and the kids school so I wouldn't give that up. Quality of life would be harder for me as a working mom OOT.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:34 pm
We moved from Brooklyn to Monsey several years ago, although we were both born and bred in Brooklyn. I am BH soooo happy we did it, and thank Hashem everyday for the fresh air, the space, the grass etc. that we are blessed with. Life is somewhat difficult, as we're away from family, and end up missing out on simchas. While we were living in Brooklyn, we didn't realize the extent to which the quality of family life could be improved, but wow do we realize it now!! My children could run around, ride their bikes, and enjoy local parks that are within walking distance.. I also very much appreciate the fact that Monsey is still somewhat slower paced than Brooklyn, and is a bit more out-of-towny than brooklyn....

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 8:44 pm
Oh and when we go back to Brooklyn, we can't believe people are living under such crammed, claustrophobic conditions. (though I lived there twenty something years...)

gold21

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:03 pm
Moving out of Bklyn was a game-changer for us. In a good way. B"H. There's just something about the pace of life there and the attitude that didn't work for us. And the lack of eiruv was a major major negative for us. And the traffic. And the lack of parking spots and the aggressive meter maids and the double parked cars and the angry drivers. And the sales help in many of the stores who have a certain attitude that's just unappealing. And the lack of parking spots... Oh, did I say that already? Lol.

Yeah, so basically, we're so very happy and grateful that we moved out. It really wasn't the right fit for us. Baruch Hashem we found a much better fit.

Tongue Out

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total

icebreaker

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:38 pm
Haven't moved yet but IYH soon!

fleetwood

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 9:59 pm
I live in Brooklyn,have tons of space,parks within walking distance and an Eruv!!! No parking issues,no alternate side parking and a nice size yard. A great community with great friends. Brooklyn Rocks!

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:04 pm
fleetwood wrote:
I live in Brooklyn,have tons of space,parks within walking distance and an Eruv!!! No parking issues,no alternate side parking and a nice size yard. A great community with great friends. Brooklyn Rocks!

Ok, can you tell us the general area of this yet to be discovered part of Brooklyn?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:07 pm
Fleetwood , you obviously own a house with a driveway . Which most families can't afford in bklyn at 1m+.

I moved out after 30 years to Toms River. Quality of life can't compare.

Good luck .

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:09 pm
I grew up on bklyn and when I married dh we moved to his neighborhood. At first I was reluctant but now every time I go to Brooklyn I thank hashem for rescuing me from there. My parents house does not have a driveway and any time we come for shabbos we always have to consider that we might have to park a few blocks away. I feel like the neighborhood is packed like a sardine can.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 10:33 pm
I did.
I hate going back to brooklyn.
I was a sahm. Still am. I don't drive. The closest kosher supermarket that delivers phone orders is a 8 minute drive.
The closest jewish neighbor (well, religious. Non religious is next door both sides.) Is a 5 minute walk.

2k sq ft little home. And we LOVE it. We actually hate going back to brooklyn. The nasty driving. No parking. Noise. DIRT. Nasty driving. Cramped quarters. Fashion runways aka streets. And the last time I visited, I had a free afternoon s*x show out of a shadeless window of the ony nonjewish building on the very jewish block my sister used to live on.

I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Here noone is in your business. I can sing in the shower ; ). I have a backyard, front lawn, huge deck, option of a pool (when the kids grow up. Aaaah a pool) room to expand my home iyh. And if I want to, neighbors pretty close nearby.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:00 am
Moved from Crown Heights.Miss 770, parks, being able to go to so many places by subway, old friends, the availability of shiurim and events, the various stores within walking distance. Don't miss the mice, rats and roaches or occassional machlokes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating