Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Family of 6 living in midwood Brooklyn
Previous  1  2  3

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 11:54 am
I am in a midsized community in the Midwest (I think we hover around 3,000 families) much smaller then NY and Lakewood and my kids school which is one of 5 elementary schools is at 4 parallel classes per grade for the 1st grade girls and Kindergarten girls and the boys are now at 3 parallel classes. People move here from the east coast with regularity.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:05 pm
A lot of the young people that live there have parents with a lot of money. The family members I know of that live there have parents that paid for significant portions of their houses.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
Lakewood is almost bursting at the seams. We're going to have Brooklyn #2 here very soon.

I'm not sure if that will ever happen because the infrastructure of Brooklyn and Lakewood are very different. Sure, Lakewood is getting crowded, but in Brooklyn there are so many neighborhoods that people live on top of each other in attached or semi attached houses and share driveways. Lakewood is just nor built that way. Homeowners in Lakewood don't have to look for a spot when they get home and end up having to park 2 blocks from their house. The clutter in Brooklyn is unimaginable, especially for people that don't live there and aren't used to it.

leah233

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:32 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not sure if that will ever happen because the infrastructure of Brooklyn and Lakewood are very different. Sure, Lakewood is getting crowded, but in Brooklyn there are so many neighborhoods that people live on top of each other in attached or semi attached houses and share driveways. Lakewood is just nor built that way. Homeowners in Lakewood don't have to look for a spot when they get home and end up having to park 2 blocks from their house. The clutter in Brooklyn is unimaginable, especially for people that don't live there and aren't used to it.

Parking in Lakewood won't be as much of an issue as it in Brooklyn but other issues like the lack of school space, shul space, traffic etc. will be worse.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
Am I missing something ? Housing is expensive but what else ?

Kosher food and vegetables are cheaper, but everything else is more expensive. First, you pay New York City tax on your income. Second, car insurance is more expensive in a big city than in a suburban area such as Lakewood. Third, there is state tax, not all states have state tax. Fourth, there is no parking, so if you have a car you either have to pay a monthly fee for a parking spot (in a lot of areas) if you don't have your own carport/garage, or spend hours looking for a place to park. Fifth, it's the traffic tickets. I know that many people just park in illegal spots and if they get a fine they just count that as part of their living expenses. And the cops in New York are really ticket-happy - I have lived in Lakewood 15 years and never got a traffic ticket. I must have gotten four (traffic, not parking) tickets in my three years driving in New York. These are all part of the expense of living in New York.

Besides, it's the fact that you get so little for your money. For $800,000, you can maybe buy a very lower end house, and they're old. In Lakewood area - or probably anywhere else out of town - you can still get a fairly decent house for under $400,000. And we won't even start on the traffic! It can take a half hour just to make it down three blocks...

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 12:48 pm
Used to live in Brooklyn. Not from Brooklyn. Was really unhappy there. Bh moved out. (Not to Lakewood) and loving it

leah233

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 1:08 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Kosher food and vegetables are cheaper, but everything else is more expensive. First, you pay New York City tax on your income. Second, car insurance is more expensive in a big city than in a suburban area such as Lakewood. Third, there is state tax, not all states have state tax. Fourth, there is no parking, so if you have a car you either have to pay a monthly fee for a parking spot (in a lot of areas) if you don't have your own carport/garage, or spend hours looking for a place to park. Fifth, it's the traffic tickets. I know that many people just park in illegal spots and if they get a fine they just count that as part of their living expenses. And the cops in New York are really ticket-happy - I have lived in Lakewood 15 years and never got a traffic ticket. I must have gotten four (traffic, not parking) tickets in my three years driving in New York. These are all part of the expense of living in New York.

Some of these things are variables. Most families in Brooklyn don't need or have two cars. Most families elsewhere do. Commuting expenses for a family where both parents work are usually less in Brooklyn than elsewhere.

In Brooklyn mass transit is more reliable and makes more sense then driving yourself.

NYS & NYC tax laws are favorable to families with children so for a family of six not making a lot of money that isn't such an issue.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Oct 03 2017, 1:23 pm
amother wrote:
Used to live in Brooklyn. Not from Brooklyn. Was really unhappy there. Bh moved out. (Not to Lakewood) and loving it

What's the cost of a 3br rental there? Mind say in where?

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:13 am
leah233 wrote:
Some of these things are variables. Most families in Brooklyn don't need or have two cars. Most families elsewhere do. Commuting expenses for a family where both parents work are usually less in Brooklyn than elsewhere.

In Brooklyn mass transit is more reliable and makes more sense then driving yourself.

NYS & NYC tax laws are favorable to families with children so for a family of six not making a lot of money that isn't such an issue.

We had one car in Brooklyn, one car when we moved out. Our car insurance went down by 75%. We actually got rid of our car at one point and just relied on car service, because the expense of the car was not just the insurance, but like I mentioned, parking tickets, traffic tickets, the price of gas, and anyway we didn't save much time with the car due to the constant traffic standstills.

Mass transit is not always an option - it depends where you live.

We WERE a family of six when we moved out of New York. Our income bracket was basically lower middle class - not enough money to live in New York, actually - and we were paying a HUGE part of our paychecks to city and state taxes. Unless the tax laws have changed an awful lot in the last 15 years.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics