Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Reading magazines that came on shabbos

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 7:32 pm
Do you read/touch magazines, newspapers etc that came on yt or shabbos, before yt or shabbos is over?

Does anyone know of a (preferably yeshivish) rav who paskens that this is okay or do they all hold that mail is muktzah?

Thank you

little_mage

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 9:25 pm
We read magazines that come on shabbat or YT. We'll even open up packages so we can read books that have arrived. However, to be fair, we've never actually asked a rav.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
Do you read/touch magazines, newspapers etc that came on yt or shabbos, before yt or shabbos is over?

Does anyone know of a (preferably yeshivish) rav who paskens that this is okay or do they all hold that mail is muktzah?

Thank you

From what I remember learning, the problem is if it was printed on Shabbos or YT. It falls under the category of a nolad- something that came into existence on Shabbos. So there may be a difference between a catalogue that is in your mail pile and the Saturday edition of the daily paper which was printed on Shabbos.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:54 pm
I think it is best to ask your Rav to be sure of specific situation. It is funny that you ask because this week we didn't get the Sukkos edition Hamodia with the regular delivery service and they were nice enough to mail it out to us. We got it in Friday morning mail. My husband asked the Rav of our shul if we can take it out and read it & he said we could for this situation.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:55 pm
IIRC the question is if it came from outside techum shabbos. If you know that it was within techum when Shabbos/Yom Tov started then it's okay, otherwise you have to wait for motze shabbos. For example a package that arrived the first day of yom tov I knew must have been in my local post office the day before for sorting so it's okay. A package I got this morning probably came from outside techum so I left it.

cnc

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:
IIRC the question is if it came from outside techum shabbos. If you know that it was within techum when Shabbos/Yom Tov started then it's okay, otherwise you have to wait for motze shabbos. For example a package that arrived the first day of yom tov I knew must have been in my local post office the day before for sorting so it's okay. A package I got this morning probably came from outside techum so I left it.

This also.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
For example a package that arrived the first day of yom tov I knew must have been in my local post office the day before for sorting so it's okay.

I'm not sure why you would assume this.
In the company I work for, products are shipped out with USPS and arrive to the customer within 2 - 3 days. From the tracking numbers (that I sometimes have to check and monitor) they definitely aren't always in the local post office the day before ( and even in cases where it was, it wouldn't necessarily be before candlelighting time). Even if it arrives to you at 10 in the morning, it could have been on the go from already 6 am so doesn't mean that it was already in the post office since the day before (which again, in order to be considered the day before has to be before shkia and the post does continue moving after that.)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 8:16 am
I asked my husband, assuming it's an Imamother chumra, but he said indeed we don't do it. So for once I have to agree lol. He said there are very charedi people who won't even touch it after shabbes because it was brought through work on shabbes. Or something.

PinkandYellow

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:59 pm
Does the techum issue of Shabbos apply equally to y't? If I check the tracking before y't starts Wed, and it's not yet local, when it arrives Thursday am I not allowed to open/use the item even though I need it for yt? (And I get on Shabbos it's not allowed).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions