Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Good series for junior high boy
Previous  1  2  3

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:15 am
poledra wrote:
Redwall series, Eragon series (specifically the first one)

Will check out reviews on Amazon, thank you

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:17 am
little neshamala wrote:
Bruno and boots/mcdonald hall series by Gordon korman!! Best ever!

100 percent agree Thumbs Up Gotta get that series. I wish Gordon Korman's older books, like "I Want to Go Home" and "No Coins Please" were still available on Amazon. Best books EVER. I bought some of his older books on eBay at one point. I'm not sure if "Radio Fifth Grade" is still in circulation, I bought it at some point but I don't remember if I got it from eBay or Amazon. I think eBay though.

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:18 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Cherry Bim Band I found is more appreciated by younger kids till 9 or 10 than preteens. My second grader is enjoying them now...

My 12 yo is reading The Candymakers (not Jewish) and The Boy who Never Gave Up (I think that's the title -- about Moshe Hillel Shepherd). I like PF's ideas; there are not many series Jewish wise for this demographic. My son likes R' Yosef Deutsch's Let My Nation _________ series as well but it's not typical I don't think for a preteen's leisure reading. In general, he's more of a non-fiction or short story reader.

Have you ever tried Nachman Seltzer books for your son? He has action novels, short stories, biographies, etc

Thanks, will take a look around the Judaica store!

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:22 am
Ah, ok, I am clogging up this thread replying to each post, so stopping here before this thread becomes 300 pages of just my replies, but thank you for all the recommendations, I read through every post and am interested in many of the suggestions and I appreciate all of them.

Based on this thread, I made an order on Amazon. I also threw in Holes by Louis Sachar. It looked like a good book. And it has a whole bunch of awards.

Tongue Out

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:24 am
gold21 wrote:
Ah, ok, I am clogging up this thread replying to each post, so stopping here before this thread becomes 300 pages of just my replies, but thank you for all the recommendations, I read through every post and am interested in many of the suggestions and I appreciate all of them.

Based on this thread, I made an order on Amazon. I also threw in Holes by Louis Sachar. It looked good.

Tongue Out

Holes is amazing!!

My son loved it. And I still love it. It's probably the most brilliant book I ever read.

Walk two moons is also great. But a little sad.

gold21

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 12:29 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Holes is amazing!!

My son loved it. And I still love it. It's probably the most brilliant book I ever read.

Walk two moons is also great. But a little sad.

Thanks, it looked really good online!

Will take a look at the second book u mentioned.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 2:17 am
If he is at all interested in science fiction, then look into Ender's Game. It has violence so you might not approve.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 8:07 am
gold21 wrote:
Thank you.

My only hesitation, based on Amazon reviews, is if it is too emotional/sad? I am drawn to emotional books that really get me to feel what the characters are feeling, that's my favorite genre (Is that a genre? No, not really. But it should be. Lol.) My boys are not really drawn to those types of books, they're more boyish like that.... What are your thoughts? Thanks.

I really like the balance. He's very much a boy in the Ozarks hunting. It's definitely sad, but kind of cathartic. It was one of my favorite books growing up.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 9:11 am
gold21 wrote:
Thank you for the recommendations!

Planning to stop by Judaica store tomorrow (need new yarmelkas) and hope to purchase some books while I'm there.

And also see HY. There are also a few thrillers by Chaim Eliav, not a series but fine for that age.
If you haven't seen Incredible, try that. You'll all enjoy it. Have a wonderful yom tov!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 04 2017, 9:12 am
gold21 wrote:
100 percent agree Thumbs Up Gotta get that series. I wish Gordon Korman's older books, like "I Want to Go Home" and "No Coins Please" were still available on Amazon. Best books EVER. I bought some of his older books on eBay at one point. I'm not sure if "Radio Fifth Grade" is still in circulation, I bought it at some point but I don't remember if I got it from eBay or Amazon. I think eBay though.

And Bugs Potter!
Unfortunately, his YA books are not suitable for the same age kids.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:27 pm
studying_torah wrote:

My ds is a bit older, but he liked the Theodore Boone books by John Grisham , about a boy who wants to become a lawyer one day.

So did my 10 yo but I can't vouch for the content or the reading level it's geared toward. I assumed his age, and not preteens, but I am not sure.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:33 pm
More Jewish pre-teen books: if he likes fantastical stories with lots of imaginative descriptions, Meir Uri Gottesman has written some books for tweens now....The Lonely Shul is quite a read!

M. Jakubowicz is a good pre-teen author, with books for both girls and boys.

(And not a book, but we are still getting lots and lots of mileage out of the Zman magazine for this age Wink )
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children