Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Tablecloths, tzanua dressese/outfits& souveniers

ruby slippers

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 5:03 pm
Looking to buy a few tablecloths while in Jerusalem- as well as some mezuzah cases. We could go to the shuk , ben Yehuda or the main strip of meah shearim, but I feel like those are tourist trap places. Any suggestions where I might find these items a little off the beaten path and better pricing.... and where does everyone get their beautiful tzanua outfits/ dresses? so tired of the shell and black skirt look. the malls don't seem to have what I am looking for.

Last edited by ruby slippers on Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 5:08 pm
love the olive wood workshop in mea shearim
we bought a sign for our door, written mishpacha surname. My husband feared it would attract shnorrers LOL

Iymnok

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 5:52 pm
We just bought mezuza cases in the Ramot mall. I didn't like the options in Geula. To get artistic cases you have to go to those areas. I think we paid under 50mis each, but I could be wrong.
I have bought nice tablecloths on Malchei Yisroel, about halfway up. I think next time I will go to a fabric store to get what I want. Possibly order lace from China.

ruby slippers

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:32 am
last time we were in we were up north and tzfat had some gorgeous artistic mezuzah case and so I was hoping maybe there is something like that as well.

malchae yisrael- is that also known as the shuk( not the arab one.)

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:06 am
Meah sharim has good stores. A lot are off the main road and yes they are expensive. They import from Europe and America or make it themselves. Dresses can range between 300-1500 shekel. Most of say are 500-700. York. Won't need a shell though.

Mekimi in center one has a lot of dresses prices at 250-450.

heidi

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:11 am
OP, I'm not understanding why you would want to buy tablecloths here. If you want to support the economy, go for it. Just realize that tablecloths and clothing here are usually double to triple the price of similar quality in America. And usually worse quality. If you want some great skirts you can go to חור בקיר on Ben Yehuda. Otherwise, shop in America. Even with alterations to make things tzanua it will come out much much cheaper.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:04 am
eema1 wrote:
last time we were in we were up north and tzfat had some gorgeous artistic mezuzah case and so I was hoping maybe there is something like that as well.

malchae yisrael- is that also known as the shuk( not the arab one.)

Malchei Yisroel is the name of a street in the neighborhood of Geula that has lots of shops on it.

Machane Yehuda is the name of the shuk.

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:26 am
You may have better luck not in a big shopping area for clothing - say Beit Shemesh or Bnai Brak.

ruby slippers

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:28 am
heidi wrote:
OP, I'm not understanding why you would want to buy tablecloths here. If you want to support the economy, go for it. Just realize that tablecloths and clothing here are usually double to triple the price of similar quality in America. And usually worse quality. If you want some great skirts you can go to חור בקיר on Ben Yehuda. Otherwise, shop in America. Even with alterations to make things tzanua it will come out much much cheaper.

where I live in the USA there is not much that sells tablecloths that are very long and as pretty as I have seen here in Israel. The styles in the malls in the USA are trashy, plus- YES want to support the Israeli economy.
Thanks for the tip about chur bikur!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:47 am
eema1 wrote:
Looking to buy a few tablecloths while in Jerusalem- as well as some mezuzah cases. We could go to the shuk , ben Yehuda or the main strip of meah shearim, but I feel like those are tourist trap places. Any suggestions where I might find these items a little off the beaten path and better pricing.... and where does everyone get their beautiful tzanua outfits/ dresses? so tired of the shell and black skirt look. the malls don't seem to have what I am looking for.

Aren't the stores in Geulah, Meah Shearim, and other stores with frum owners closed on Chol Hamo'ed?
- 13th ave. on rechov yechezkel have beautiful t/cloths. all their stuff is beautiful, and yes, pricey.
- T/Cloths also at "metza'it' - corner Strauss/Zupnik.
- "Galitzia" - narrow part of M/Shearim - cheaper prices. open evening hours.
Mezuzah cases you can find in Meah Shearim and Geulah.

There's a store (sorry, forgot the name) that sells beautiful clothing, t/cloths. houseware, shoes and more... situated middle of Meah Shearim left side, turn into Rechov Chabokok - the store is near or behind "Manny's bookstore."

re outfits: it depends what type of clothing you like to wear, if you'll find it in Geulah/M/Y

Or places further out. There are lovely clothing in "Rav Shefa" mall and in "Center One."
- at "mechirot" - people who sell from their homes.
- There are lots of clothing stores along Malchei Yisrael and the side roads off M/Y.
- also beg. of Strauss - cheaper stuff.

Hatzlocha! Enjoy your stay here.
Gut Mo'ed Smile

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:39 am
eema1 wrote:
where I live in the USA there is not much that sells tablecloths that are very long and as pretty as I have seen here in Israel. The styles in the malls in the USA are trashy, plus- YES want to support the Israeli economy.
Thanks for the tip about chur bikur!

Oh right. Yes. EVERYTHING is closed on Chol Hamoed. You need to go to a secular mall like Malcha to buy clothing...which will have all your american "trashy" styles for triple the price. I myself am Chareidi and know many people who don't wear "trashy styles". Yet all those girls shop in H&M and Zara. (Those are the two big secular stores for frum girls in Jerusalem)

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 2:16 pm
For better prices than the regular Geulah stores, to to Tallis V'Judaica - 26 Rechov Strauss.
He has a very nice selection of Judaica items and amazing prices.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
Aren't the stores in Geulah, Meah Shearim, and other stores with frum owners closed on Chol Hamo'ed?
- 13th ave. on rechov yechezkel have beautiful t/cloths. all their stuff is beautiful, and yes, pricey.
- T/Cloths also at "metza'it' - corner Strauss/Zupnik.
- "Galitzia" - narrow part of M/Shearim - cheaper prices. open evening hours.
Mezuzah cases you can find in Meah Shearim and Geulah.

There's a store (sorry, forgot the name) that sells beautiful clothing, t/cloths. houseware, shoes and more... situated middle of Meah Shearim left side, turn into Rechov Chabokok - the store is near or behind "Manny's bookstore."

re outfits: it depends what type of clothing you like to wear, if you'll find it in Geulah/M/Y

Or places further out. There are lovely clothing in "Rav Shefa" mall and in "Center One."
- at "mechirot" - people who sell from their homes.
- There are lots of clothing stores along Malchei Yisrael and the side roads off M/Y.
- also beg. of Strauss - cheaper stuff.

Hatzlocha! Enjoy your stay here.
Gut Mo'ed Smile

the store is called My Estate (maistat)

DrMom

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 3:45 pm
What kind of outfits are you looking for? Do you have a photograph of the type of style you like?

Are you looking for casual clothing or Shabbat clothing?

Shuly

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:32 pm
If you wear a small size, check out Zoya on the corner of Yaffo and Strauss for clothing. They have great dresses!

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:43 pm
Shuly wrote:
If you wear a small size, check out Zoya on the corner of Yaffo and Strauss for clothing. They have great dresses!

They have plus size stuff there too!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:21 pm
amother wrote:
the store is called My Estate (maistat)

Thanks! Yes. "Maistat" is the name of the store.
They have 2 floors: the top floor has cheaper stuff b/c it's stuff from previous season.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions