Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Rockland or Westchester

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:37 am
What are your experiences/opinions on these two locations? Looking to move my RWMO family to the NY area and we have it down to these 2 counties. I am looking for a nice community with elementary and high schools.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
What are your experiences/opinions on these two locations? Looking to move my RWMO to the NY area and we have it down to these 2 counties. I am looking for a nice community with elementary and high schools.

Where in Rockland or Westchester?
The only frum community in Rockland is Monsey and its surrounding areas, but your kids will likely have to commute for high school.

I don't know much about the Westchester communities.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:06 pm
Westchester is mostly lwmo and rock land is mostly yeshivish and chassidish.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:12 pm
Depends what you want to be exactly. Westchester is nice. I love visiting. But it’s expensive and a house in Westchester cost like 2x (and more) what a house in Rockland does. The frum areas of Rockland are a bit more developed with stores, kosher restaurants, etc than Westchester places with frum areas like Scarsdale. My only gripe about Scarsdale (which is the only place in Westchester I’ve been) is the over-the-topness. It’s not everyone of course. And I know a lot of people in other communities sometimes say the same thing but the people in Scarsdale have money so there’s a lot of extravagance that I think is often over the top. That being said, I don’t think I’d fit into the culture of Rockland (Monsey) as it seems from the times I’ve visited it has a majority Chassidish population and while there’s nothing wrong with that, I just know I wouldn’t fit and wouldn’t have any friends.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:13 pm
For Rockland look into Wesley Hills and New Hempstead. (considered to be a Monsey surrounding area) For Westchester, I don't know any RW communities.

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:15 pm
I don't think either of those areas are a great fit for a RWMO family.

Maya

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:17 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I don't think either of those areas are a great fit for a RWMO family.

I agree.

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:20 pm
Agree, not a great fit. But it's the only one in Rockland I know with MO families.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 4:21 pm
Why not north jersey or Long Island? Lots of rwmo there.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
For Rockland look into Wesley Hills and New Hempstead. (considered to be a Monsey surrounding area) For Westchester, I don't know any RW communities.

Can anyone tell me more about these towns? Where do people send to school? What kind of families are in these towns? To answer the other posts, it has to be NY. And Long Island will be too far of a commute.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:29 pm
There are 2 distinct MO communities in New Rochelle. One is referred to as Scarsdale, the other as New Rochelle, although most of the Scarsdale community is in New Rochelle with a Scarsdale PO. Both are LW, but the New Rochelle side (IIRC, I could be mixing them up) is more centrist. I wouldn't live on the more liberal side, and I'm far LWMO.

You should also consider White Plains. While Hebrew Institute is more leftist leaning, the Young Israel of White Plains might suit you. Housing costs are also lower in White Plains, and its a really nice community.

Schools. For elementary school, you have Westchester Day, which is a very small school. Westchester Torah Academy is new, with on,y a few grades and a mixed learning style. And SAR. its possible that some people send to Breuers, but I don't know about that.

For high schools, the only thing in Westchester in Westchester Hebrew High. Its tiny, coed graduating classes of 30 students. And while a few choose to go there, and the education really is good, it's pretty much considered a school of last resort for a lot of people. High schoolers also go to SAR(probably the biggest group), Frisch, Ramaz, MTA and Maayanot.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:35 pm
There is also a small RW community in Riverdale (Young Israel) and Washington Heights.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 6:50 pm
I live in Wesley Hills. It's a large neighborhood and the area we live in is mosty RWMO. People tend to send to YSV or Ashar.
Other areas of Wesley Hills have a more chassidish demographic, or ex chassidish.
I have friends in New Hempstead who are mostly RWMO, transplants from Flatbush.
And then there's Pomona. Lots of frum young ppl there who are also RWMO, MO and Chabad.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:02 pm
I live in teaneck and all of the mo people in Wesley hills we know havebtold us that they Feel the community is shrinking and are looking to move.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:04 pm
In my neighborhood in Wesley Hills it's a mix of RWMO and "Left leaning yeshivish". YSV, Ashar, Darchei Noam and Ateres are the elementary schools. There are "Left leaning yeshivish" high schools locally but no RWMO ones that I know of. One "ex-chassidish" family lives in my neighborhood, but that's it for chassidim. There are neighborhoods in Pomona, New Hempstead, and New City like this as well. If you drive through "Main Monsey" you could think it's all chadsidish but that's not all of monsey.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:07 pm
amother wrote:
I live in teaneck and all of the mo people in Wesley hills we know havebtold us that they Feel the community is shrinking and are looking to move.

The lack of high schools is a real problem. Makes it hard. The kids all need to commute.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 7:18 pm
I grew up in Wesley hills. It is right wing nowadays. I live in New city. It's turning more yeshivish. I have relatives in all areas of pomona. That's most mo but it's not really modern. I would go to Teaneck or elsewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating