Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
No TV. What do your kids do.
Previous  1  2  3

Pita

Post Thu, Oct 05 2017, 11:39 pm
Read, play, use their imagination. My kids get to watch TV maybe once every other week.

Pita

Post Thu, Oct 05 2017, 11:40 pm
Read, play, use their imagination. My kids get to watch a video maybe once every other week.

Mothers

Post Sat, Oct 07 2017, 10:55 pm
Read

disneyland

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 5:34 am
This is a great thread. Thank you so much. I have been thinking of reducing screen time but wasn't sure how to go about it. So many ideas, this is great. I also agree with the poster who said it is a good idea to do outings first when trying to get used to not watching tv or using internet. For us it would be kind of like a detox so it might be a little hard in the begining.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:39 am
Now that your children are used to
It it'll be much harder for them. But in bp most children never watch tv and they also have no computer access & no iPad iPhones or any of that. They play outside, scooters, bikes, toys. May seem old fashioned but it's actually wonderful. They grow up beautifully innocent versus knowing what they shouldn't at a really young age. Good luck! You won't regret it if you manage to get rid of it.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 10:13 am
Those with no tv, do you never put on a YouTube video so you can take a quick shower, cook, take care of something urgent? Never?

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 10:43 am
My kids have an oldstyle game boy with disks that they inherited from my brother. They dont use it ever except erev yt or such. We have a DVD player that well watch a Miami DVD or something maybe 3 times a year. I really dont like the passivity and eye glazedness that screen time does to my kids. This is in addition to hashkafic reasons of not giving my kids internet access.
I have special toys and art supplies.for when I need them to stop fighting.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:32 am
amother wrote:
Those with no tv, do you never put on a YouTube video so you can take a quick shower, cook, take care of something urgent? Never?

There is less brain activity when you watch something then when you are sleeping.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 11:35 am
oak- no I don't use youtube as a babysitter. I have plenty of failings as a mommy, maybe it would be better if I did but I don't want to go down that road.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:

This is why I'm so grateful that all of this tech wasn't around when the kids were little.
My crutch wasn't a YouTube video but new story tapes from the library.

eimhabonim

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:

No, never.

OP, my kids read books, play with toys like clicks and lego, play outside, and play with each other in make believe games.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 9:11 pm
I wish we lived in a community that eschewed all the technology gadgets. Literally all my kids' friends have either oodles of screen time and/or their own phones.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 10:27 pm
I went through a really tough period of depression and low functioning and unfortunately began to heavily rely on them constantly watching shows since I had no energy to watch them.

Pulling myself out is so hard as now they're hooked. They can't entertain themselves anymore. It's like I killed their brain after all their time watching. I try to play with them now and go outside but it's sad how I destroyed their imagination.

Kudos to all of you amazing mothers that can do without it and don't just shut off your kids' brains in front of useless shows.

I hope my kids can recover from their time watching and become stable, healthy, and imaginative again.

LittleMissMama

Post Sun, Oct 08 2017, 10:35 pm
A couple of the responses were appropriate for the OP, but most were not. You're all talking about younger kids. Tween age and up do not play with toys anymore. OP, I empathize with you. It's very difficult as they get older. I have a few older boys who are not into sports and are not very social. So they hang out alone a lot, mainly reading. One practices piano a lot, sometimes they play with cards. One used to like chess a lot and I would let him play online.

On school days it's not such a big deal but on non school days and obviously in summer, it's so difficult. It's not like with little kids where you can just take them to a park to let them run around or tell them to find a toy.

One more thing I do is encourage them to exercise. Since they're not running around like the little ones, they often do a half hour on our treadmill.

disneyland

Post Fri, Oct 27 2017, 3:47 am
What a great thread, this thread has b"h been so helpful to me even though it is from a while ago, so many good ideas
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children