Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Funniest stories for being Jewish

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 05 2017, 1:23 pm
I was reading the thread about flight stories and it brought to mind some of the stories I had meeting non jews....

Ok I'll start. I'm being anon, cuz this is TMI for my username.

Basically I grew up in the Midwest, and most people where I lived weren't jewish. I have memories going to the zoo on the "free haloween day party" and going from stand to stand looking for the kosher candy. People stopped and asked me why I wasn't dressed up and I proudly told them that I was Jewish. We also went to a lot of water parks as a kid, but once I hit 6, 7 I began wearing a nightgown over my swimsuit. So I was running around and met a non jewish boy around my age who poured a bucket of water over my head and asked "Why are you wearing that?" and I pushed him back and said I was Jewish and it's called Tzniyus. He looked at me for a second and said "you know...you're crazy" and then we chased each other for the next hour.

Anyway, I've been asked by many people where my horns are, where my tail is, and if I really burn Chirstians. No I am not joking, I thought they were though. I let stranger feel my head, and yeah there were the few that always claimed I wasn't old enough to have grown in my horns and that's why we wear wigs and we marry young to give it an explantion shock

The really funny story happened in sleepaway camp, when I went to an amusement park. On line we met a young non jewish couple who were very well versed in the laws of Tzniyus. The man was telling us how we cover our collar bones, knees, elbows, and ended promtly by saying "And girls wear a wig from the age of 3". All my friends burst out laughing. I prompted him to tug on my bright red frizzy curls and said "Does this LOOK like a wig?!"

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 05 2017, 5:43 pm
This happened to my friend - she was also on line for something and a non-Jewish couple got into a conversation with her and her friend and asked them for the translation of their Hebrew names.
One girl's name had a pretty translation and the couple said, oh that's beautiful. My friend's name is Yael and they asked what it means and she told them mountain goat.

The couple was incredulous! "Your parents actually named you Mountain Goat?!!!" She tried explaining that it was considered a pretty name but they just couldn't get over it.

It's been about 16 years but I still laugh every time I remember that story. LOL

pknt

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 4:08 am
OP and amother, you really got me laughing!

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 4:19 am
Not sure how I would've handled those comments... But I'd probably still be frightened 20 years later when recalling those incidents:)

As my family visited Eretz Yisroel one year, (we are chassidish) and were speaking in Yiddish between ourselves, an older Jewish man who looked completely secular asked us if we're just playing a game now or we always speak Yiddish, because for the past x amount of years he hadn't heard people using this language.
My Chassidish family living in EY use the Hebrew language.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics