Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Are you as tired of yom tov cuisine as I am?
1  2  Next

N'sMom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:22 pm
Planning my menus for 3 day yom tov take III and feeling uninspired and tired of food. Any ideas for fresh salads and veggie dishes (no sugar, honey, artificial ingredients, etc.), fruity desserts, etc. Thank you!

tichellady

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:25 pm
Check out cookieandkate.com . She has really great salad recipes.
We do some non conventional yomtov meals to mix things up- soup and pizza, soup and salad, bbq hamburger and hot dogs etc

N'sMom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 8:27 pm
Thanks tichellady. We do that too. Will check out the website.

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:10 pm
N'sMom wrote:
Planning my menus for 3 day yom tov take III and feeling uninspired and tired of food. Any ideas for fresh salads and veggie dishes (no sugar, honey, artificial ingredients, etc.), fruity desserts, etc. Thank you!

Thank you! I was just saying this to my husband. I’m so tired of making the same foods over and over.

reality mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:16 pm
I do pies as they are easy and freeze well. I buy the frozen flaky dough pies and vary the filling. I do sweet potato pie, broccoli/cauliflower, etc.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:21 pm
So bored. I'm thinking of doing a taco bar for one meal and a make your own sushi for another. Keeping it light. I think everyone is totally over stuffing themselves silly.

N'sMom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 9:37 pm
Reality, Can one freeze a quiche (in other words, a very eggY vegetable filling )?

We do a lot of different things to vary. Salad bar is a favorite. But we are just tired of it. We had one seuda where we washed and ended up just having the appetizer (cut up fruit) and cake and iced coffee.

reality mom

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:06 pm
N'sMom wrote:
Reality, Can one freeze a quiche (in other words, a very eggY vegetable filling )?

We do a lot of different things to vary. Salad bar is a favorite. But we are just tired of it. We had one seuda where we washed and ended up just having the appetizer (cut up fruit) and cake and iced coffee.

I'm not sure, as I dont follow recipes, I concoct them in my own. I use more bread crumbs/flour (starchy stuff) as a binder instead of eggs. I do add eggs though, but very little. Freezes just fine.

macadamia

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:07 pm
May I correct you... 4 days Hoshana, Shmini, Simchat and Shabbat. Unless you live in Israel

pesek zman

Post Mon, Oct 09 2017, 10:14 pm
macadamia wrote:
May I correct you... 4 days Hoshana, Shmini, Simchat and Shabbat. Unless you live in Israel

Must add to things I be never knew till imamother: that hoshanah rabbah is a holiday where people eat a special meal

Everyone I know goes to work (same as any erev YK, which is already on the list) after a longer than usual davening

If I can grab a yogurt at work I'll consider myself lucky

lucky14

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 12:25 am
N'sMom wrote:

I freeze quiche occasionally and then defrost it in the oven. turns out fine.

DrMom

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 12:28 am
What is "yom tov food?"

We mix it up all the time. Indian food, sushi, dairy, salads.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 12:33 am
lucky14 wrote:
I freeze quiche occasionally and then defrost it in the oven. turns out fine.

Me too. Done that, and it tasted fine, and I'm one of those picky eaters.

etky

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 1:41 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
Me too. Done that, and it tasted fine, and I'm one of those picky eaters.

Quiche freezes beautifully and is actually one of those rare foods that also heat up well on the platta (after its defrosted). Just remember not to cover it. The crust will get soggy if you heat it up covered.

Raisin

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 6:21 am
I did one meal of just cold cuts and challa and cut up veggies.

I like cooking fresh food on yom tov, it is so much more appealing. Put some chicken on the stove (on in oven) before shul and and its ready afterwards. Or cook some fresh salmon.

DVOM

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 7:39 am
I'm totally with you OP! the way the holidays fell out this year it seems like all we've been doing is eating big meals since day camp ended!

We did one meal of onion soup and garlic bread, salad and omelettes. yum. Another meal was loaded chicken soup, with chicken, matza balls, and homemade egg noodles. We had one meal of veggie-heavy meat lasagna and salads. Another yom tov (I think it was last year?) our most fun meal was chocolate chip pumpkin pancakes with ice cream. I think with that meal I served mushroom pasta too. It helps that I know the tastes of my company very very well (and of course the tastes of my husband and kids very well) and was able to make lighter meals but still ensure that everyone had enough to eat and didn't go away hungry (I hope!).

We're by my parents for the second days, and even though my mom is a great cook I cant say I'm really looking forward to roasts and chicken and kugel...

tichellady

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:01 am
N'sMom wrote:
Thanks tichellady. We do that too. Will check out the website.

It’s very hard to have so much headspace and actual energy to deal with so many menus. I totally get it. Good luck!

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:03 am
Yes. I am craving my regular meals at this point. I am doing really relaxed food for the last days, chicken pot pie, tortellini soup, tacos, ST night I am serving only finger foods. I cant look at another piece of roast!

N'sMom

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:37 am
It's not that we eat only traditional foods, it's the amount if eating. Even if you do a nontraditional meal of soup, sushi and some type of dessert, plus challah and wine, it's a lot more food than you would have normally. It literally feels like a chore to set the table AGAIN, eat AGAIN.

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 12:02 pm
I do one meal of schwarma chicken strips. I make a small schwarma bar to go along (tomatoes, cucumbers, beets, chumus, lettuce, etc.) People build their own, and that's the meal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics