Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Lowest tuition cost?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:15 am
I live in an area in NY where its considered pretty frowned upon to consider public school (there are campaigns all over aimed at getting kids out of public school)--besides my husband would NEVER consider it--even when one of my kids potentially needed services best served through the DOE. Anyway, last year we were coming off of a kollel budget onto a 2-working parent household and we asked the school for a HUGE financial break b/c we said we wanted time to get back on our feet financially. They basically said "tell us what you CAN pay" and we did--b'koshi. This year we were mentally prepared to pay what they were asking after "financial aid"--and its already about 1/2 the "sticker price", double what we were paying last year, and we are being incredibly squeezed and since we filled out the financial aid paperwork we found out we were expecting, and we're going to have to somehow pay for babysitting once I go back to work early next year. I'm very embarrassed to have to go back to them to ask them for a bigger discount b/c I respect the fact that they need to pay their teachers, but somehow our numbers are just not adding up. I've been hoping for a raise--but the chances of that are slim-to-none, and my husband's prospects of a raise are there, but it might be a small percentage. What would be the lowest tuition that you would ask from a yeshiva for 2 kids?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:19 am
I pay about 5K for two elementary school kids. But I am a single mother and get no child support, so the school has been very understanding.

mha3484

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:31 am
When I applied for financial aid for my child in elementary school the amount I received was 7% of my income. I also pay for a child in playgroup and listed that on the forms but I don't know if it was part of the calculation or not.

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:42 am
Unfortunately once both parents work Yeshiva's don't give you much break. We pay $3,700 for 4 kids/month that's after break. Still too much for us.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Oct 10 2017, 11:45 am
Shoshana37 wrote:
Unfortunately once both parents work Yeshiva's don't give you much break. We pay $3,700 for 4 kids/month that's after break. Still too much for us.

I know we're in that "make too much for govt assistance" bracket--so we SHOULD be able to afford it, right?? But between rent and also a playgroup--and now add babysitting, we keep falling further and further behind. We also need to upgrade our current mini-van which is "terminally ill."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children