Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What gedolim pictures do you have hanging on your wall?
1  2  Next

dovebird

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 1:38 am
Need some inspiration for an empty wall...

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 1:39 am
R' Moshe Feinstein
The Steipler

ETA: we also have a photo of the Kotel.

Other things on our walls: family photos, artwork (professional and homemade), a shadow box with a beach scene inside it - like a small diorama. Found it at a thrift store and loved it. Also, a decorative clock.

ProudMommie

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:36 am
Go to the Judaica store and look at the pictures they sell. I don't know where you live, but in Israel they have binders with pictures..

Don't worry about the "names" of the rabbonim.

If you like their faces and you feel inspired by the picture, just buy it to hang up.

The reason you hang these pictures up is to see holy faces all around you.. and what/who you will connect with is very individual.

I have gedolim of all types, litvish, chassidish, chabad, old pictures, more recent ones, but all of them are not in this world.

I also have my son's artwork, and multiplication tables lol because we are learning those in math now... Smile

Your walls are for YOU and YOUR family. There is no right way to decorate them unless you want to please your guests or the public.. I personally don't.

syrima

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:14 am
We have none on our wall. I wasn't raised with gedolim pictures. And neither were most gedolim of yesteryear. I like inspiring landscapes or Judaic art instead.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:17 am
Rav Elyashiv
Rav Moshe Feinstein
Chofetz Chaim
Rav Ovadiah Yosef
Lubavitcher Rebbe

Last edited by allthingsblue on Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:19 am
syrima wrote:
We have none on our wall. I wasn't raised with gedolim pictures. And neither were most gedolim of yesteryear. I like inspiring landscapes or Judaic art instead.
Same. I actually dont feel comfortable when I see pictures of rabbanim hanging in people's sukot and homes. it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, if I must be honest.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:23 am
Rabbis from family and that kind.
Also world famous ones.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 7:29 am
None. I hang up pictures of my kids.

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 8:24 am
A friend gifted us with a drawing of Rav Kook, drawn with the words of his sefer. I consider it more as a beautiful piece of art than a drawing of a rebbe. I'm not a fan of those unless it's someone who has personally inspired you in some significant way.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 8:27 am
The cast of the Sopranos

elaela

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 8:53 am
R. Moishe Feinstein
The CHofez Chaim
R. SHlomo Zalman AUerbach
R. Schach

shevi82

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 8:59 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Same. I actually dont feel comfortable when I see pictures of rabbanim hanging in people's sukot and homes. it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, if I must be honest.

Really? I have a beautiful pic of the Chofetz Chaim in our succa. I love it, feel like I cant speak LH with the CC in our succa.

dovebird

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:04 am
Thanks for all your ideas! I already have pictures of kids and family on the wall, I want this one to be different. I'm going to work on it after yt!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:17 am
Maya wrote:
A friend gifted us with a drawing of Rav Kook, drawn with the words of his sefer. I consider it more as a beautiful piece of art than a drawing of a rebbe. I'm not a fan of those unless it's someone who has personally inspired you in some significant way.

We only chose gedolim who have inspired us and have a big impact on our lives.
Or if they are pictured with relatives. For example, I have a nice picture of my grandfather with Rav soleveitchik.

Shuly

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 9:30 am
We have pictures of places in Israel - Old City, Tzfat.

We have a picture of my husband's rebbi, Rav Nosson Tzvi Finkel zt"l.

And lots of pictures of my kids.

leah233

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 10:37 am
The Chofetz Chaim with the words "mi H'Ish..."

A specific picture of Rav Ahron Kotler by his gemora which my husband finds very inspirational (most Judaica stores where I live have it)

We also have the kosel etc.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 10:55 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
None. I hang up pictures of my kids.

So do I. We have full walls of kids and family. So?

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 2:21 pm
None. My house is my home, not a yeshiva and not a shul. If I want to get amorous or change a diaper in my living room, I am dashed well going to do so. And I am dashed well NOT going to do so in front of a picture of Rav anyone.

Furthermore, much as we may revere our gedolim, we must be very careful not to worship them. IMHO, hanging pictures of them in our homes, if they are not members of our own families, is flirting with idolatry. How is this different from a Christian household shrine with a picture of a saint?

FTR the Chofetz Chayim was very unhappy with having his picture taken.

leah233

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 3:43 pm
zaq wrote:

Furthermore, much as we may revere our gedolim, we must be very careful not to worship them. IMHO, hanging pictures of them in our homes, if they are not members of our own families, is flirting with idolatry. How is this different from a Christian household shrine with a picture of a saint?

If a Christian family wants to have a picture of some saint in their house I certainly wouldn't consider that flirting with idolatry.

What if they had a picture of a rock band of some other icon from the entertainment world. Would you consider that flirting with idolatry too?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:21 pm
leah233 wrote:
If a Christian family wants to have a picture of some saint in their house I certainly wouldn't consider that flirting with idolatry.

What if they had a picture of a rock band of some other icon from the entertainment world. Would you consider that flirting with idolatry too?

This.
People have all sorts of pictures and faces on the wall. I'd much prefer a picture of an inspiring gadol (as well as other nice photos such as Israel scenes, nature scenes, flowers...) than a creepy painting of a face, or Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn or an Hermes logo (these are all "in" from what I've seen on instagram).
It goes in our dining room, not living room. I never change diapers in our dining room because the floor is hard so I'm not worried about that aspect. It works for us!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics