Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
What gedolim pictures do you have hanging on your wall?
Previous  1  2

samantha87

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:55 pm
zaq wrote:
None. My house is my home, not a yeshiva and not a shul. If I want to get amorous or change a diaper in my living room, I am dashed well going to do so. And I am dashed well NOT going to do so in front of a picture of Rav anyone.

Furthermore, much as we may revere our gedolim, we must be very careful not to worship them. IMHO, hanging pictures of them in our homes, if they are not members of our own families, is flirting with idolatry. How is this different from a Christian household shrine with a picture of a saint?

FTR the Chofetz Chayim was very unhappy with having his picture taken.

I don't do gedolim pictures either, unless it's personal, but it wouldn't become Avodah Zarah if you don't light candles for it, leave offerings, or pray to/through it.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 5:04 pm
leah233 wrote:
If a Christian family wants to have a picture of some saint in their house I certainly wouldn't consider that flirting with idolatry.

What if they had a picture of a rock band of some other icon from the entertainment world. Would you consider that flirting with idolatry too?

Yes, I would and I do.

But I couldn’t care less about nonJews flirting with idolatry or even going steady with it. I do care about Jews who do, and I work hard to keep even avak avodah zarah out of my home. Even or maybe especially when it masquerades as piety.

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 5:06 pm
samantha87 wrote:
I don't do gedolim pictures either, unless it's personal, but it wouldn't become Avodah Zarah if you don't light candles for it, leave offerings, or pray to/through it.

That's why I call it FLIRTING with idolatry.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Oct 12 2017, 4:48 pm
We have pictures of our sandakim and Rabbonim who have made a big impact on dh.
He took a beautiful picture of the three Roshei yeshiva of Ohr Somayach about 12 years ago. They were talking in learning at a bris, in the beis medrash.

Jewishmom8

Post Fri, Oct 13 2017, 2:02 am
chazon ish
r gamliel rabanovich
r shach
the steipler
r chaim kiniefsky
r shteinaman
the chofetz chaim
r michel yehudah lefkowitz
r moshe feinstein
r elyashiv

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Oct 13 2017, 4:15 am
shevi82 wrote:
Really? I have a beautiful pic of the Chofetz Chaim in our succa. I love it, feel like I cant speak LH with the CC in our succa.
Yup, really. Thats how I feel. Even in my house, we have family pictures (and not even a lot of those either) and scenic pictures or other such art work, no gedolim.
I feel very strongly about this. To me, like another poster wrote, or similar, it comes very close to idolatry, but thats my opinion.

moonstone

Post Fri, Oct 13 2017, 5:41 am
Back in college I had a cool Jim Morrison poster on my wall.

finallyamommy

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 12:34 pm
The Satmar Rebbe, one of the Viznitz Rebbes, the Belzer Rebbe, Rav Scheinberg, the Chofetz Chaim, the Chazon Ish, Rav Shach, and Rav Aryeh Levin. Basically anyone we've ever had any kind of kesher with in our BT journey.

mom2six

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 3:15 pm
The Chofetz Chaim
Reb Simcha Wasserman
Reb Elchonon Wasserman
Rav Dof Yaffe
Rav Scheinberg
Rav Yisroel Gans
Rav Moshe Heineman
Rav Tzvi Berkowitz

I don't see it resembling avodah zara in any way. I've seen gedolim pictures in the homes of several choshuve rabbonim, so apparently they don't pasken that way either.

Raisin

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 6:34 pm
Why can't you start a separate thread on how hanging pictures of rabbanim is wrong????? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

We have the Lubavitcher Rebbe hanging - a couple of different pictures. A small one of the Previous Lubavitcher Rebbe as well. Both are a personal inspiration to us. We also have artwork, pictures of our kids, etc.

I'd love some pictures of grandparents who are no longer alive but we don't seem to have any.

NaamaGold

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 7:00 am
We have Rav Shach, Rav Elyashiv, Rav Shteinman.

It took us a long time to find ones we really liked and fit into our modern designed home

professor

Post Sun, Apr 18 2021, 8:02 am
Our walls are completely bare except for one painting my SIL made of candles

My parents' house is full of pictures of gedolim. They have the Baba Sali, the Chafetz Chayim, the Chabad Rebbe with all his chassidim Ovadia Yossef R' Shaiyala from Krestiern, the Ba'al Hatanya and tons others that I don't even know their names
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics