Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Secular college for undergraduate
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

sequoia

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 3:30 pm
Ok, they don't "dress yeshivish." The guys wear knitted kippot and the girls denim skirts. Mostly. Why is that so bad that you'd give up an Ivy League education? These are such minor things and the education you get will last you a lifetime.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:38 pm
Revisiting the idea that non-liberal arts classes are safe from "objectionable" material, and "now" is worse than "then" : When I went to law school 15 years ago, my tax professor loved using gay couples in his examples. (ie John and Steve live together with their kid, or want to file jointly, or whatever) That's how prevalent social engineering is in dry, technical, non political classes.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:48 pm
amother wrote:
I'd like to get feedback on the idea of sending a daughter to a secular college after sem for undergraduate studies.

The idea would be to be either living at home or boarding with a frum family.

We are Yekkes - living in a yeshivish community. She doesn't watch TV per se but does watch some "appropriate" and checked shows online.

I'd love to hear from people who have gone through this experience as a frum student or whose children have done so. I know that post-graduate is a different story.

What is the atmosphere on campus, will she be exposed to really treif things? Is there a problem in the lectures or with the lecturers discussing inappropriate material or setting assignments where the students have to give the prof's (liberal) point of view if they want to pass?

I have my point of view on this and my dh has his so I wanted to get outside feedback. We are planning on visiting Columbia and NYU campuses and I would love to know where to go to check these things out for ourselves. We were planning on walking around and possibly attending a lecture. Ideally I would love for us to speak to someone who has experience in this.

Any feedback???

My daughter has just started at the University of Waterloo and the Wilfrid Laurier university in a double degree programme of BMATH and B business administration. She lives in an apartment on campus with two non Jewish room mates but has her own dishes etc to keep kosher with. She goes to Chabad and Hillel. She is 18.

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 4:51 pm
amother wrote:
Revisiting the idea that non-liberal arts classes are safe from "objectionable" material, and "now" is worse than "then" : When I went to law school 15 years ago, my tax professor loved using gay couples in his examples. (ie John and Steve live together with their kid, or want to file jointly, or whatever) That's how prevalent social engineering is in dry, technical, non political classes.

It's gotten worse - much worse - in the last fifteen years.

For anyone who is reading this thread, and considering sending their child to a secular college, I have three words of advice - Research, research, research!!

Go down to the college yourself, don't rely on someone else's experiences - especially if said experiences were in the past.

Take a walk around when the college is in session, just to get a feel of what the college is like. You may be pleasantly surprised, you may not. Either way, you will have a clear picture of the environment in which you will be exposing your child, and you will be able to make a much more clear and informed decision.

People I know spend HOURS researching playgroups for their child, do at LEAST the same for the place where your child will spend four of his/her formative years.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Oct 11 2017, 5:47 pm
amother wrote:

I don't understand the problem. Someone who will be integrated into the secular world as a lawyer needs to be able to hear about a gay couple, and moreso interact with them on a personal and professional level. If hearing about that is a problem that individual needs to stay strictly in the chareidi world.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 9:37 pm
amother wrote:

Did you get a passing grade?

Clearly your professor was introducing issues regarding federal vs state laws relating to joint filing, and how it intersected with then existing marital laws, which went over your head. If you're a tax attorney, and don't understand that, then you better make sure your malpractice insurance has very high limits.

If you cannot do your job because of your social beliefs, find another field.

In the meantime, competent professors will introduce complicated issues that practitioners will face.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 6:16 am
amother wrote:

Terrible... But while I didn't experience this at all, nowadays society might have stooped that low indeed.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics