Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Aaliyah: Dream vs reality

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:30 pm
Hi, I am hoping for perspective on the following. I am 29 and my husband is 31, Boruch Hashem we have two boys, 3 yrs old (twins). My husband is at a job that is menial and challenging and doesn't give him chiyus. He does not feel he has found his tafkid and is burdened by it but is strong and resilient enough to keep on. We both dream of Aaliyah and of building a life for our family in Israel. He thinks our tafkid is there and while we can't be sure, I agree.
I however am too terrified of leaving my parents. I think I would miss them so much it would be oppressive to me, and I have visions of watching them get older and grayer through an image on my cellphone and not real life, and that pains me tremendously.
I am a baalas teshuva. My parents Don't feel any more connected to Israel than they do to New Zealand. It is as abstract and remote to them as it could be. They dont understand the appeal (they came to visit me there and saw it and still...) or feel any connection. For them life is about being there for your family, being honest, working hard, building a stable and secure life. If I were from a family where Israel makes sense as the home place of the Jewish people it would be so much easier for me to take the leap. But I can't.

Am I sacrificing too much by being held back?
Is Israel really as amazing for children as I hear it is?
WhAt is the benefit to raising children there as opposed to chutz l'aretz?
Thanks for lending an ear

ProudMommie

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:34 pm
I am also a baalas teshuva and will tell you my aliyah experience as well as possibly some tips on making it here that I have learned. Of course, it will only be my experience. please pm me if you would like and I will give you my contact information.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 12:37 pm
Family matters, parnassa matters, feeling like you fit in and are familiar territory matters. Dreams are beautiful. Large families need a livelihood.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions