Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
House prices in Lakewood

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Oct 14 2017, 11:46 pm
What do houses cost in Lakewood? What's the difference in cost between a simpler home and one that has been renovated or built out?

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 2:08 am
What area in Lakewood? The price can be anywhere from 300k to over one million.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 7:52 am
We're open to different neighborhoods.

Is 300k for a simple home or a fancy one?

giselle

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:35 am
Very simple. Not even sure where you’re getting a home for 300... maybe a tiny house that needs a lot of work.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:40 am
There are very very few neighborhoods that still have homes in the upper 300s and those homes are very small. Maybe one of the small old homes in Jackson.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
We're open to different neighborhoods.

Is 300k for a simple home or a fancy one?

Very simple.

For a town home/duplex in Lakewood proper (lots of neighbors, which means friends for kids, but no privacy; no problem with eiruvs or Shuls; potential to rent out basement; lots of bedrooms and bathrooms in a relatively smaller space; close to shopping), you will pay in $500,000 range for an "older" one (more if very close to yeshiva/in ridge area). For the same thing brand new,
Starting price is in upper-500, before any upgrades.

In Toms River/Jackson you can get a huge single family house for the same price, with lots of land, but it's not "built for frum families," I.e. Might not have so many bedrooms/bathrooms, two ovens and sinks, etc. There definitely will not be a basement rental.

In the 300,000 range you can find a modest sized home in Jackson or Toms River that needs a little work. Very simple. In Lakewood, maybe maybe you can pay that for a house in rain tree or hearthstone, but it would likely be very very small.

A new construction single fam home in Lakewood is in upper 600-700 range for new.
Good luck!

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:47 am
You should be able to find a 3-4 bedroom home in Raintree for that price. Very nice neighborhood with simple houses.

giselle

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:57 am
I see on Zillow there is a cheaper area in Jackson off of county line where there are smaller homes in the 3s or decent sized but need work

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:32 am
Older town homes are in the low 300 and some pple are so desperate you probably can offer the high two or 299,999 and they would take it. Housing prices are really dropping now and especially older townhomes the value is done no one is going to pay the old prices anymore. Everyone today wants the rough attic and the extra room in the basement besides the rental plus the pesach kitchen. Also the older townhomes the basement isn't as nice so it's hard to get a rental and if you
Do rent is so cheap.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:48 am
Before you buy in Lakewood remember that real estate taxes are high there so factor that into the equation.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:17 am
giselle wrote:
I see on Zillow there is a cheaper area in Jackson off of county line where there are smaller homes in the 3s or decent sized but need work

This is the Brookwood Pkwy area. My sister lives there and loves it. It's a nice mix of mostly young people, so if you have teens it would not be suitable. But it's really a community, they have a nshei and events, etc...the shul is in a rented area, though, and it's not likely they will have a proper shul anywhere in the near future...nor an eiruv.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:12 pm
Remember to find schools for your kids before you look for a house! Before you get invested in a house. Just a friendly reminder. It's becoming increasingly harder for everyone. If it was hard till now it's even worse now.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Remember to find schools for your kids before you look for a house! Before you get invested in a house. Just a friendly reminder. It's becoming increasingly harder for everyone. If it was hard till now it's even worse now.

This .

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 3:28 pm
In the process of looking for a house this is what I am finding

Almost nothing in Lakewood in the low 300's other than a few houses in Raintree. Those do not have basements so the living space is limited without an addition but it may work for you. For us, it means an addition and then its too expensive for us. There may be in TR but that's too new for us.

Otherwise there are houses around 400k that need minimal work. Think paint and flooring, lights about 10k-15k depending

There are townhouses around 400k. They are fine. Just keep in mind that at around 10 years old everything needs replacement - appliances, boiler maybe AC, maybe roof patches since they are not built custom but are builder grade materials

In Jackson there are beautiful areas where you can buy a regular house for the high 300's and put in minimal work to wind up at around 400.

The catch is what you want. In Lakewood, the property taxes average a few thousand more per year. In exchange you can get bussing, garbage pickup, an eruv, and multiple shuls. In Jackson the price is a little lower but you will have to pay for garbage pickup (about $300 a year) and depending on where you send your children, find a way to get them to school. If you get bussing, your children may also spend a lot of time on the bus since many of the schools are in industrial park and are a minimum of a 1/2 hour each way, without stops and whatever. If you have a bus - your kids will ride for almost an hour each way. If you don't you will be driving 1 1/2 hours twice a day or paying someone enough to do that. One child in school without a bus can mean another $600 a year, after the township money. For me that would be $2000 all together so I lose the tax savings.

Its all what your needs are. If you have children in school already, you may want to keep the bussing in mind. If you don't you will be more willing to try it and hope the bussing will work out. But keep in mind that my friend with bussing is putting her 6 yr old on a bus at 7:45 in order to get to school on time.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 3:54 pm
Flair is very nice you may like to try there. Buckingham, Birmingham, those streets a lot of off market deals so you may want to try an agent

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:

Almost nothing in Lakewood in the low 300's other than a few houses in Raintree. Those do not have basements so the living space is limited without an addition but it may work for you. For us, it means an addition and then its too expensive for us. There may be in TR but that's too new for us.

Otherwise there are houses around 400k that need minimal work. Think paint and flooring, lights about 10k-15k depending

There are townhouses around 400k. They are fine. Just keep in mind that at around 10 years old everything needs replacement - appliances, boiler maybe AC, maybe roof patches since they are not built custom but are builder grade materials

In Jackson there are beautiful areas where you can buy a regular house for the high 300's and put in minimal work to wind up at around 400.

The catch is what you want. In Lakewood, the property taxes average a few thousand more per year. In exchange you can get bussing, garbage pickup, an eruv, and multiple shuls. In Jackson the price is a little lower but you will have to pay for garbage pickup (about $300 a year) and depending on where you send your children, find a way to get them to school. If you get bussing, your children may also spend a lot of time on the bus since many of the schools are in industrial park and are a minimum of a 1/2 hour each way, without stops and whatever. If you have a bus - your kids will ride for almost an hour each way. If you don't you will be driving 1 1/2 hours twice a day or paying someone enough to do that. One child in school without a bus can mean another $600 a year, after the township money. For me that would be $2000 all together so I lose the tax savings.

Its all what your needs are. If you have children in school already, you may want to keep the bussing in mind. If you don't you will

be more willing to try it and hope the bussing will work out. But keep in mind that my friend with bussing is putting her 6 yr old on a bus at 7:45 in order to get to school on time.

This is not strictly true. I live in Lakewood proper, a ten minute drive from my kids' school, and they also ride an hour on the bus each way.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:12 pm
I live about a 20 minute walk from my kid's school. It takes one of my children almost an hour to get home.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Apr 03 2022, 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:43 pm
amother wrote:

Its all what your needs are. If you have children in school already, you may want to keep the bussing in mind. If you don't you will be more willing to try it and hope the bussing will work out. But keep in mind that my friend with bussing is putting her 6 yr old on a bus at 7:45 in order to get to school on time.

Two comments:

1. Where are you finding houses in beautiful areas of Jackson at that price?
2. I am paying well over 1k for busing per kid plus have to do carpool (Jackson)

L K

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:38 pm
amother wrote:
Two comments:

1. Where are you finding houses in beautiful areas of Jackson at that price?
2. I am paying well over 1k for busing per kid plus have to do carpool (Jackson)

Flair

I think another meant $600 cost of busing after taking into account the $1000 you're supposed to receive from the township.
Meaning she's paying $1600-1000=600.

I know some ppl who are paing $1200 per kid both ways including Sundays. They got a good price because of a decent number of kids in their school and a "real" route.
Others have it more expensive because their rides/carpools are smaller.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating