Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Is an internal designer worth it?

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 6:58 pm
I'm building my house now. I want to know if I should hire an internal designer.
It's a very big house and I want to make it very nice.
I basically know what I want but I'm afraid that I don't know what's nice since I've never seen a luxury house before.
How much do they ask for?
Any recommendations?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 7:16 pm
Interior designers are a valuable asset when building. Besides their design, they know a lot about construction and can guide you where to put outlets, lighting, plumbing etc.
They are not cheap, but worth every penny, in the long run. Please inquire by people that have built in your area. How accessible they are, if they work with your taste and budget or they are very pushy. My opinion, and I've used one when I built, go for it, if you can afford it.

Lani22

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:07 pm
Worth every penny in my opinion especially when building from scratch.

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:09 pm
Interior designer or architect?

An interior designer will help you with colors, at least that's what I thought.

One of my friends spent the money on a good interior designer when she bought her new house, and I think that this is one of the most enduring investments you can make, it's very worthwhile.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:57 pm
Not a luxury at all. But not cheap.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:57 pm
Not a luxury at all. But not cheap.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:08 pm
I think it depends on how good of an "eye" you have for layout and design. I've designed my home for fractions of the cost of what appear to be luxury items, but are really bargain items. No interior designer needed.

For my new house, being built soon, IYH, I created the floorplan and have the colors/types of furnishings already planned.

If you feel confident in your own talent, no designer needed. But if you need the help, that's fine too.

My SIL happens to have spent a ridiculous amount of money on and I.D. and regrets all of the purchases that were made.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:16 pm
If you are building from scratch, definitely get one.
Adding to amother powder blues list, they will help with closet/storage placement, door placement, door opening styles. And much much more. They can even help with layout and sit with the architect while working on the house layout.

It will be very very worthwhile in the long run.

Mommy8, an interior designer 'might' help with lighting type and paint coloes. But afaik, thats for an Interior Decorator, not an Interior Designer.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:15 pm
Are you choosing the architect? If yes, choose the best one you can. A good architect will do a lot of the work that an interior designer will do, and will make sure you have every closet, door, and window where you want it. If you don't get to choose the architect and your working with a builder who already has a blueprint, definitely get an interior designer. Worth the money in my opinion and there are many who will work with all price ranges.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating