Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What to do if DH wants a TV in the house and you don't

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 2:49 am
How do I convince him that we shouldn't have a TV in our new house?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 3:39 am
It's 2017. What's he going to watch on TV that he can't get on his phone? The only thing I can think of is live sports events, and while those might be a waste of time, they are no t exactly toxic.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 3:52 am
amother wrote:
It's 2017. What's he going to watch on TV that he can't get on his phone? The only thing I can think of is live sports events, and while those might be a waste of time, they are no t exactly toxic.

You can get live sports on your smartphone with a subscription to a sports package. I spend x amount of $ on a sports package every fall, I could watch those games on my computer, TV or smart phone.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 4:00 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
You can get live sports on your smartphone with a subscription to a sports package. I spend x amount of $ on a sports package every fall, I could watch those games on my computer, TV or smart phone.

In that case, the only reason not to have a tv is so the neighbors won't see it

choco1

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 6:35 am
I don't agree, Having a TV is a culture.
Sitting around, flipping through channels... kids wanting to watch once its right in there front.of.them to name a few.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:35 am
choco1 wrote:
I don't agree, Having a TV is a culture.
Sitting around, flipping through channels... kids wanting to watch once its right in there front.of.them to name a few.

I think that depends on the family. We had a tv for years and it mostly gathered dust.

You also see little kids who don't have a tv at home using phones and iPads in stores or the back seat of a car to play games or watch shows. That's a culture too.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:41 am
Let him get the service so he can connect to it on his phone without the big screen tv.

little_mage

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:58 am
Why don't you want a tv? Why does he? Yes, you can watch most of the stuff on a computer/phone/tablet these days. But DH and I find it more comfortable to watch on the tv. It's bigger. Admittedly, we do most of our watching together, so it's certainly easier for both of us to watch on the television screen, and it doesn't sound like that's an issue for you.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 4:48 pm
What are your reasons for not wanting it?
What are his reasons for wanting it?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:38 pm
Go to your Rav. Explain the situation. It his job to mediate in spiritual affairs like this that can have a huge and detrimental impact your neshamos and family.

Nothing to be taken lightly.

celesteno

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 1:00 am
We are in the same situation. My husband is really into live sports and doesn't want to stare at a small computer or phone screen to watch. Our compromise was to put it in our bedroom and we don't watch while the kids are awake (except the occasional sports). That way the kids don't really see it (they watch the occasional show on Netflix maybe once a week) and we don't get in the habit of watching randomly. I find that even with the tv we are much less into it than most of the people I know who don't have and seem to spend hours bingewatching tv shows on Netflix

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 3:30 am
amother wrote:
In that case, the only reason not to have a tv is so the neighbors won't see it

Many of those who wouldn't have a TV as a principle, would have filtered internet on their phone and wouldn't access their either.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 4:16 am
amother wrote:
Many of those who wouldn't have a TV as a principle, would have filtered internet on their phone and wouldn't access their either.

Of course. But this was posted by someone with access to this site, and she didn't say that they have filtered internet and phones. The problem seems to be a physical tv set. I don't see why that is any more tempting or corrupting than what she already has.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics