Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
I'm a certified p3 provider now what?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:37 pm
Can someone in this field please help me:
I have my masters in special ed early education. I have not used my degree since graduating 4 years ago. I'd like to start doing part time p3 in my home, and don't know where to begin.
Also, since my degree was not used for so long, do I need to renew it?
Thanks in advance!

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 8:51 pm
Are you certified? What is your certificate level?

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:19 pm
I think
I'm certified to age 5

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:27 pm
You THINK? A good place to start would be to clarify what your own qualifications are. As far as I'm aware there does not exist a certification to age 5. With regard to possibly needing to renew your credentials, you had best figure this out ASAP.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:27 pm
what kind of certification? initial? professional? I would check your certification papers because initial certificates do expire.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:32 pm
If she graduated 4 years ago and hasn't worked since, it's highly improbable that she has a professional certificate. If she's certified at all, it's going to expire if she doesn't get working on it STAT.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 9:43 pm
agree seeker. I was trying to point out that there are different kinds of certification, and that she needs to be more aware.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:14 pm
Also P3 is usually done at school. At least in the schools my kids go to.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
Also P3 is usually done at school. At least in the schools my kids go to.

Not necessarily, it can be done anywhere.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 10:50 pm
p3 can be done at home. however at this point many schools have their resource rooms made up of p3 providers and the kids generally get their p3 services at school. most providers arent interested in doing p3 after school because the pay is significantly less than doing a group in a school setting.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:26 pm
seeker wrote:
Not necessarily, it can be done anywhere.

I know it CAN be done anywhere, but she says she wants to do it specifically to work from home. I'm pointing out that in all the schools in my area, it's done in school because a) the providers only want to do it with groups of kids so they can get paid multiple times for half the work, b) most kids don't want to sit through more school after school.

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 15 2017, 11:44 pm
I see a lot of parents looking for after-school providers because they can't get what they need in school. Either they need more hours, it doesn't work for the school, they don't like the school's provider, the kid needs more help with the homework... Parents are more interested in a provider coming to them rather than going to the provider, but depending on your location and the demand in your area I could see it working. I've seen people make after-school P3 groups of kids who have overlapping needs. In concept I think it's a great idea, but the logistics would need to line up.

Anyway it looks like OP needs to get the basics down pat before figuring out these details.

There was an article about P3 in the back-to-school issue of Binah Magazine. If you email them for a reprint that might help you get an idea of what might work. The article was geared more to parents than to providers but there was a lot of information in there.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Oct 16 2017, 9:04 am
You need to go to the teachny website and check if your license is current or expired. If it is expired, you will have to fix that and that might mean retaking the certification exams and if the courses for your degree changed, you may have to redo some classes. So hopefully it is not expired. If you are good to go, you need to get on to the p3 provider list. If you call up agudath israel project learn they can help guide you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics