Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Sweat stains on white shirts - Help!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 9:54 pm
What is a sure way to get rid of yellow sweat stains on the underarms of white shirts?

I've been Googling, and I do NOT want to bake a cake on the shirt, I.e. mix lemons and salt and baking soda and meat tenderizer! If this stuff really worked, why don't they sell a detergent made out of it?

Thank you!

challahchallah

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 12:10 am
I've had good luck with extended soaking (a day or two) in a concentrated Oxiclean solution.

brooklyn11211

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:39 am
In my experience the yellow stains are not sweat stains, they are caused by certain chemicals found in most deodorants,

Arm and hammer has a few kinds without that chemical and since DH changed his shirts no longer get yellow

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:46 am
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
What is a sure way to get rid of yellow sweat stains on the underarms of white shirts?

I've been Googling, and I do NOT want to bake a cake on the shirt, I.e. mix lemons and salt and baking soda and meat tenderizer! If this stuff really worked, why don't they sell a detergent made out of it?

Thank you!

They do:) the detergent is called oxiclean Smile

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 9:01 am
brooklyn11211 wrote:
In my experience the yellow stains are not sweat stains, they are caused by certain chemicals found in most deodorants,

Arm and hammer has a few kinds without that chemical and since DH changed his shirts no longer get yellow

I don't wear deoderant. And my white shells still turn yellow. Every summer season I need new shells for that reason.

Maybe the deoderant you husband uses has ANOTHER chemical which prevents that.

(P.S. I use and internal deoderant. Aka cleansing vitamins. So although I sweat - which is normal and healthy - It doesn't smell)

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:57 am
brooklyn11211 wrote:

Thank you!

I've read that it's the aluminum antiperspirant that makes clothing yellow. As far as I recall, deodorants without antiperspirant do not actually help you avoid perspiring, they just help with smell. I'm sure my teen sons would not go for that.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 12:02 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I've had good luck with extended soaking (a day or two) in a concentrated Oxiclean solution.

The spray or the detergent?

Are you soaking the shirts in a bowl filled with Oxiclean? Sounds like I'd need a container of detergent every 3 days in that case! Or you just pour a few drops over the area that needs cleaning?

If frum men wear mostly black, why on earth can't they wear black oxford shirts???? I'm so tired of scrubbing and washing and throwing away white shirts! My husband and 3 teen boys wear white shirts 95% of the time.

I am a newborn photographer and have the studio at 85 degrees, and am doing a lot of squatting and bending while holding my 5 lb camera and lens. I sweat during long sessions, and therefore only wear black when working. I throw my black shirts in the washing machine, and then they're perfectly clean!

How can I start a campaign to switch the yeshivish mens' dress code of white shirts to black?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:12 pm
Yes you need buckets of the powder.
Soak the shirts in basins filled with boiling water and dissolve scoops of oxiclean in there.
But more importantly, make sure your dh wears short sleeve undershirts under his dress shirts, so they catch the sweat instead of the shirts.

ETA: for upkeep of white shirts, you can add a scoop of oxiclean to a hot or warm load of shirts in the machine, in addition to the regular detergent.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Yes you need buckets of the powder.
Soak the shirts in basins filled with boiling water and dissolve scoops of oxiclean in there.
But more importantly, make sure your dh wears short sleeve undershirts under his dress shirts, so they catch the sweat instead of the shirts.

ETA: for upkeep of white shirts, you can add a scoop of oxiclean to a hot or warm load of shirts in the machine, in addition to the regular detergent.

Thank you!

It sounds like I need to buy huge buckets. I wash 4x7 = 28 shirts a week when they're all home.

Is there another solution?

Ironically, the one who wears sleeveless undershirts does not have this issue on his shirts! The ones who do wear short sleeved undershirts have this issue. How does this make sesnse?

I wish they sold disposable white shirts. People probably wished for disposable baking pans for years and thought it would be a dream come true... so I can dream!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:34 pm
Thank you!

It sounds like I need to buy huge buckets. I wash 4x7 = 28 shirts a week when they're all home.

Is there another solution?

Ironically, the one who wears sleeveless undershirts does not have this issue on his shirts! The ones who do wear short sleeved undershirts have this issue. How does this make sesnse?

I wish they sold disposable white shirts. People probably wished for disposable baking pans for years and thought it would be a dream come true... so I can dream!

It's really tough.
Best I could recommend is to use oxiclean in the washer all the time with new white shirts so hopefully they don't get stains set in.
Is there any way your dh would agree to have guards sewed in to the underarms of his undershirts? 🙈

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:36 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's really tough.
Best I could recommend is to use oxiclean in the washer all the time with new white shirts so hopefully they don't get stains set in.
Is there any way your dh would agree to have guards sewed in to the underarms of his undershirts? 🙈

Thanks!

No, my boy who wears the short sleeved undershirts has the worst of this problem! The one who wears sleeveless ironically does not have sweat stains!!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:48 pm
Thank you!

I've read that it's the aluminum antiperspirant that makes clothing yellow. As far as I recall, deodorants without antiperspirant do not actually help you avoid perspiring, they just help with smell. I'm sure my teen sons would not go for that.

I don't think that's the only cause- we go for aluminum-free deodorant in our house and dh's white Shabbat shirts still get those awful stains, as do my white shells eventually.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:50 pm
Google undershirts with sweat pads. I know I've seen something like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry