Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Health coverage for newborn on the NY health exchange?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:24 pm
Hi all,

I am iy"H expecting a baby at the end of this year. My husband, children, and I are currently enrolled in health coverage through the marketplace, and I'm trying to investigate how I will get the baby enrolled when she is born.

I called both the marketplace and the insurance company, and they told me that as long as I call within 30 days of the baby's birth, the coverage will be effective as of her DOB.

But my question is- how do we then go about the first visits to the pediatrician? Won't she be 'uninsured' for a few days until the coverage is retroactively applied? IME, it takes a few weeks for coverage to be effective, and I'm nervous that I'll get billed for those first few visits and then have to seek reimbursement once her coverage kicks in?

I will probably call the pediatricians office to see how they handle this, but just wondering if anyone has dealt with this before and can let me know what to expect.

TIA!

seeker

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:27 pm
AFAIK first 30 days of newborn's life you use the mother's insurance.
But it's been a while since I had a newborn. Bshaah tova!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:29 pm
Same for most everybody: newborn js under moms insurance for first 30 days of life. Your pediatrician is aware of this. It will not be an issue. Unless your baby were to need any RX, in which case you' d pay out pocket

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:49 pm
Does it make sense that the insurance company told me the baby's only covered under my plan for 48 hours?

I also thought it was 30 days until I heard this, but if that's universally not the case I would call back and verify

pesek zman

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Does it make sense that the insurance company told me the baby's only covered under my plan for 48 hours?

I also thought it was 30 days until I heard this, but if that's universally not the case I would call back and verify

Not that doesn't make sense

I'm a pediatric hospital social worker
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics