Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Is a Bernina Sewing Machine worth the price?

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 1:53 pm
I'm thinking of getting a new sewing machine (in Israel). Is Bernina really worth the price? I use my machine several hours a week, for home use (not professional).

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 2:27 pm
I got a Brother from America for about $100. I'm very happy with it. I paid for someone's additional bag ($25 or $50)and use a transformer.
I don't see the price difference being worth it.
The home visit sewing machine repair guy charges like, 300 for a tune up. So I try to clean and oil it according to the manual.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 2:38 pm
Bernina fans will say yes. Everyone else will say no. Try to find an opportunity to use one before you buy and make your own decision.

Be sure to consider the cost of the feet when you calculate your budget. A used/refurbished or floor model from a dealer may be more affordable, but be sure a warranty is included if you are concerned about that. Buying second-hand (not from an authorized dealer) usually invalidates the warranty, unless the rules are different in Israel.

I'm a very happy Kenmore (Janome) sewer who has used Bernina machines. The difference in the quality of the stitch is not really noticeable (at least to me) and Berninas seem fussier about thread, while my Kenmore will sew with almost anything, and the feet are super-affordable.

Success10

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 3:06 pm
Thanks for your replies.

I could go down to the store and try one out. I just want a machine that I don't have to keep pumping more money into. With a clean, strong stitch and smooth motor, and thread that doesn't tangle and snap all the time. But Berninas are double to triple the price of your standard brands, there must be a reason why. Because they're Swiss made? I'm not so in-the-know with this stuff.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 3:43 pm
Get good thread.
Thread it right.
Keep it clean and well oiled.
Use the correct needle.
Go slow over thick fabrics to layers.

No clue why the basic Bernina is so much more. My sister got it, I refused to pay that price. Can get a couple more of the model I have before I get close to that price tag.

Learn to use all the functions and feet. It makes it so much more fun and functional l

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:05 pm
I got mine from the Bernina store in Jerusalem. Technically mine is a Bernette which I think is the cheaper version of a real Bernina? When I shopped around, it didn't seem more expensive to me than other available options in Jerusalem. I'm very happy with my machine. I'm no professional by any means, but I've used mine regularly for years now and have never had any issues with it.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 4:10 pm
Agree with lymnok above.

About threads breaking and frustrating performance: If your current sewing machine is a very cheap model, it might be annoying to use. Personally, I got better results with a machine one level above the lowest.

Some people swear by older vintage models for stitch quality and reliability ("they don't make them the way they used to") which are widely available and inexpensive in the US, not sure about Israel.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
Agree with lymnok above.

About threads breaking and frustrating performance: If your current sewing machine is a very cheap model, it might be annoying to use. Personally, I got better results with a machine one level above the lowest.

Some people swear by older vintage models for stitch quality and reliability ("they don't make them the way they used to") which are widely available and inexpensive in the US, not sure about Israel.

The old ones here are overpriced junk IME.
900nis plus lots of repairs.
Hence my machine. Lower end, but sews well with some fun bells and whistles. (80 stitches and the alphabet)

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 5:30 pm
A Bernina is well worth the price (and I am a very frugal person). I thought it was too expensive and couldn't justify the investment so I struggled with a Singer for 2 decades. I reached a point where I finally broke down and bought a Bernina almost 15 years ago. It is the middle of the line model and it has been wonderful. I do get it a tuneup about 12-18 months as I want it to continue to work for a long time.

loveit

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:40 pm
I grew up learning and using my mother's bernina, it's a workhorse!! She's had it for at least 35 years. A few years ago she did buy a new machine and now takes her bernina with her to different sewing classes, it still works amazing and I don't remember her having to maintain it often. It endured us kids using it and I don't think we ever worried about thread quality...

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 12:47 am
My mother bought her bernina before I was born. And I'm 26 now.

I remember it being serviced once.
My mother generally too busy to take proper care of her machines.
And this is some machine!
Many wedding dresses (not bride) by perfessional seamstresses have been made with that machine.
I learned to play around and sew on that machine when I was too young to hold a knife.
Loved it.
The motor is a little jumpy already. (Remember, this is a machine that has never had a proper tune up. My father oiled maybe a couple of times) the dust inder the grounding plate (I dont know how its called) was 'blown out' whenever the machine was acting up. Amd it was usually full of thread lint.
My mothers model goes for just under 1k used.

I myself own a brother. For 100 bucks or so.
Works great. Neat stiching. Not crazy smooth but ok.
So far ive only used one thread type so don't know about that.
Has a few cool features I really enjoy.

I've sewn on arpund 15 machines in my life (betweten all sewing classes and sibling/mothers/own)
Bernina was by far the best. And they are indestructible.
Phaff was the worst. (Models ranging from cheap to $800)
My sister owns a $800 phaff machie. She keeps on pumping more money into it.
She used my machine once while hers was out of commision. And went to get herself the same one. Said its better than hers !!! And even if she gets a new machine every year it'll be cheaper than fixing her not-so-old-and-very-expensove phaff machine.

Savta S

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:40 pm
I had a 1930's Sears Kenmore, that only did a straight stitch, did it well. After aliya I had a Brother, on 220V, a piece of junk. I now have a high-end Bernina, 110V used w/a transformer, for over 30 years, and is excellent. My advice is that there are so many secondhand machines available in Israel. And used stuff in Israel is stigmatized, thus low priced. Look on yad2 for a secondhand Bernina. Have patience.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 3:10 pm
I found the bernina very comfortable to use. Not to much noise. Excellent quality. If I had this money I wouldn't think twice.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:19 pm
I grew up with two machines, one of which was a Bernina. It was great! My mother sewed our coats and jackets with it, as well as our weekday and Shabbos clothes.
When my dd wanted to sew, I got her a low-end machine. Oy. Such headaches. It was from Costco, so I returned it and tried another one. Oy. Headaches.
Can't afford a Bernina, but these lower-end ones are stressful.
If I had the money, I'd definitely buy a Bernina.

Zeleze

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:27 am
If you need it for many hours a week, then Bernina is the one, otherwise for small work any other will be fine

Success10

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:02 am
HI, I saw that someone revived my thread. In the end, I found on ebay the same model I had before, a vintage Elna Supermatic from the 60's, an amazing Swiss machine, they really don't make them like that anymore. We had to find someone to bring it from Canada (it is HEAVY) and it needed more repairs (I think I sort of new that before I bid). In the end, cost us 600 shekels and I don't regret it, I love this machine, and I have an old one in the closet for parts. But vintage machines can be a pain in the neck, the repair guy told me he doesn't recommend them, they are hard to find parts for and they always break. I don't know, it sews soooo smooth and strong.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing