Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Ava
Previous  1  2

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 1:13 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The Christian root for Eve is known to be "root of all evil".
No I don't believe that parents name their daughters evil. That's just the history of the name and therefore I don't like it.
I'd rather drop the ch of Chava and use the name Ava.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. The English name Eve is derived from the Latin name Eva, which is derived from the Hebrew "Chava". All of these names mean "living," or "to breathe." It is true that in Judaism as in Christianity, Eve is somtimes blamed for the downfall of man, but that's not what the name means.

OP, if it is important to you to have a good Hebrew name, then you would do better to name her "Chava" and use "Ava" as a nickname. If you are looning to do something different, you should probably speak to a Rav to check the meaning, since it seems to be unclear exactly where Ava comes from.

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 8:26 am
Ava is an English name, not Hebrew. If you are happy to give an English name, it sounds very nice and is popular now.

It could be related to Chava, or not. I know an Eva who pronounces her name "Ay-va" (like Ava), suggesting it could come from Chava. You could give Ava as the English name and Chava as the Hebrew one.

You could also give a Hebrew name with similar letters, like Aviva, Ahava, Aviya, Avigail, etc.

I've also heard it's from the Latin for bird (avis), so you could even go with Tzipora as a Hebrew name!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names