Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Period pain keeps her home.
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:12 pm
I had the mirena, which is only one low dose
Bottom line risking the pill on a teen because of normal pms is like taking an addictive opioid for a regular headache. Wholy unnecessary and a big risk.[/quote]

Agreed. We are not talking about normal pms. And I DO know that the pill has some side effects(some of which are rare), what I said was that it has no lasting side effects, which is information from my gyn and borne out by my own experience.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 7:21 pm
amother wrote:
Please try natural vitality natural calm plus calcium magnesium anti stress organic raspberry lemon. Her muscles are probably missing magnesium and or calcium and hence the pain/ contractions. (you can find it on amazon. some of the health food stores in boro park sell it for this very reason)
HER CLASSMATES PROBABLY DO NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE.

I forgot about Natural Calm! OP, you should 100% try jt! It helped me a lot.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 8:28 pm
Stay away from sugar and white flour.
Take motrin two days before you expect it to come

esther36

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 9:55 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This. I took Aleve for days and had to drink Gatorade so I wouldn't dehydrate. If I got it in school I also had to head home to lie in bed until the Aleve kicked in and even then I had a lot of cramping pressure.
Thankfully childbirth helped with the cramps and now regular Advil or Motrin is ok for the first day BH.

Same by me but! After having children I can manage with Motrin and semi function on the first day:)

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:28 pm
Hi. So sorry your daughter is going through this. It must be stressful for you as well.

I also had horrible pain, as well as exhaustion. Sometimes I still do. Like the others said, please take her for a gyn consult. You need to make sure nothing is wrong.

I will mention a couple of things that have not been mentioned. After I had kids, I realized that Benadryl helps my cramping. Sounds odd, but I happened to figure that out a few years ago. No idea whether this is just me--I have a lot of allergies. In addition, I switched from using disposable pads to using cloth ones. I try to purchase ones that are made from organic cotton. (It may sound gross at first, but I found I adjusted to it quickly and find them much more comfortable, cleaner feeling, and very easy to take care of.) After I switched, I had a big drop off in my cycle cramping and pain. sounds random, but I have read of this happening with others as well.

I would ask her doctor about dosage and guidance for Motrin or other painkillers. There has been some research coming out in the last couple of years indicating that they are not as safe as they have generally thought to be. Not that there is not a use, but it's a medical decision like anything else and I would want to consult her doctor to get some guidelines for use.

(Finally, if she has other symptoms--like exhaustion, chest tightness/harder to breath, hives, stuff like that, it may be worthwhile to ask about progesterone sensitivity--some women are sensitive to changes in hormone levels and can have medical symptoms (sometimes dangerous) as a result. I am only mentioning it because this is the case with me and once it was diagnosed and my dr put me on some stronger allergy medicines, my cyclic symptoms improved a lot.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Oct 18 2017, 11:39 pm
Hi. I was the first person to answer this thread. I was quite scared that I was going yo be bashed for going against the op's assumptions and not answering her question. Guess you never know how a thread will turn out. I'm pretty sure I have never seen such an unanimous thread. Not one person has offered advice the op asked for, of how to get the DD to just "deal".

Wow. This is a great opportunity to strengthen your bonds with your daughter. Make the most of it.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 1:56 am
I just today got a TENS device for pain management. It took me a few hours to figure out how to comfortably use it, but wow, does it give great pressure massages! She might benefit from the medical TENS device. It is a low pulse of energy that relieves muscle pain.

MrsDash

Post Thu, Oct 19 2017, 3:31 pm
amother wrote:
I just today got a TENS device for pain management. It took me a few hours to figure out how to comfortably use it, but wow, does it give great pressure massages! She might benefit from the medical TENS device. It is a low pulse of energy that relieves muscle pain.

I use the TENS as well. The only drawback is that once you turn it off, the pain comes right back to its original, agonizing state. I personally can’t use it longer than 30 - 45 minutes at a time because the sticky pads irritate my skin if it’s on any longer. I primarily use it when I’m waiting for my painkillers to kick in.

To answer your other questions, she may need to miss a couple days of school, and it’s a more common practice than you would think.

There are several ways to help your daughter during this difficult time. First and foremost, you must validate her pain. She needs your support. If you brush this off as if it’s nothing, it can be very hurtful. I know that kids can be drama queens, but when it comes to menstruation, extra sensitivity is an essential part of how much PMS can affect quality of life.

The most damaging thing you can do is dismiss her pain and suffering. Acknowledgement, and support can go a long way in healing your daughter’s pain.

smile

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:19 am
Again thank you all.
And to those who thought I was insensitive to her, it’s not like that all.
None of my or hubby family or friends had it so bad so that’s why I asked here. Bc I wanted to know others experiences before I would ask her to something that I shouldn’t.
Second she has issues emotionally for years already. She is the type of person that would see or feel everything in extreme. And yes we are dealing with that too. But that’s why I was wondering and asking.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 11:34 am
Good for you for asking what to do! You sure got plenty of responses:) Be sure to tell you daughter that plenty of others have it bad like her. I don't know if anyone suggested it, but Natural Calm can be helpful -- it's a magnesium supplement that you mix with warm water. Helpful for all sorts of muscle cramps.

As an added note, I often don't eat much when I have bad cramps-- I just drink tea and eat the minimum.

Hatzlacha!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children