Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Son entering new high school tuition question

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:08 pm
Bh My son is an excellent student. We applied to a good but expensive yeshiva and we expect him to be accepted. The issue is that the tuition is very expensive. We can only consider it if the give us around a 50% discount, 25k to around 12.5k. Maybe we can go up to 15k. The problem is that the tuition assistance process doesn't begin until the spring. Our understanding is that the school does give tuition discounts but they are difficult about it. By the spring it will be late to consider other yeshivos if this school can't accommodate our tuition request. I don't want to tell the school at this point that we will be asking for aid because I think it will hurt his chances of getting in. Sounds like a catch 22. Any ideas?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:42 pm
He should be applying to more than one school regardless - even though you expect he would get accepted, he might not.

Regarding the tuition. I would find someone who could make confidential, anonymous inquires on your behalf. I don't know what 'they are difficult' about it means - regarding to subsidy. Someone should be able to provide general information like - for the 2017-2018 school year we looked at family income, and number of children... and families with net income of X and Y number of kids were given a 50% tuition reduction. Or at least discuss their methodology.

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:51 pm
I wouldn't say anything now. Wait until you (hopefully) get in. Once you're in, then they want you and will try to work with you. At that point, reach out and say that this is your first choice and you very much want him to come, but cost is the issue. You understand that they don't deal with financial aid until the spring, but you need some assurance that they will be able to make it viable for you, so that you're not let with nothing.

From their response, you'll have a good sense of where you stand. In the meantime, you should also be applying elsewhere, to protect yourself in the event that you don't get in, or even if you do but the money can't be worked out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics