Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What schools would be good options for my daughter?

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:46 pm
Hi all
I am in the process of moving back "in town" (we're looking at houses in the 5towns/FR/Queens area) after living OOT. I need help finding a school that would be a good match for my daughter. I used to live in town growing up but from the time I was a kid in school to now I feel like there are so many more schools - which is great, because it means I have options, but I need help distinguishing one school from another.
A little background about my kid - she is a smart, creative, talented, "outside-the-box" thinker. She is weak in math and spelling but B'H is a wonderful reader. She is self-conscious about how others in her class perceive her. She will be (appropriately) assertive and put herself out there in social situations including at school but won't raise her hand for fear of having a wrong answer. She is also very sensitive and needs a very warm, non threatening teacher who will draw her into the class and make it safe for her to raise her hand and take risks.
The ideal school for her is a small nurturing place that isn't hyperfocused on every kid meeting a certain standard, that is willing to go outside the box and meet my daughter where her strengths are, that isn't looking to produce a building full of future high school valedictorians and where my kid won't feel like everyone else is a genius whereas she is dumb.
Does such a place exist, even somewhat?

doctorima

Post Fri, Oct 20 2017, 1:53 pm
Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam sounds like it could be a good fit.

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 3:56 pm
If you're looking for something MO, check out Luria. It's a Montessori school. My cousin's daughters go there, and I have a friend who works there. It's really wonderful. http://www.luria-academy.org/

amother
Wheat

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 7:50 pm
How old is she?

For elementary school, I would suggest staying away from the huge schools like TAG and BBY and looking into the smaller schools like Ateres Miriam or Shulamith where she won't get lost in the crowd.

My girls go to Shulamith and we've been very happy there. The administration knows each girl by name and knows the parents. They're very warm and keep in touch. The girls are very friendly. My oldest daughter has been with mostly the same girls since first grade but every year or so a new girl comes in and is fully welcomed.

If you're looking for high schools there is also Shalhevet and SKA.

The above-mentioned schools are all girls, but there are also coed schools in the area if you are interested.

nicole81

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 7:55 pm
Maybe bnos malka?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children