Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Please help me with balancing two year old and home manageme

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:07 pm
I stay at home with my two and a half year old, an adorable, fun kid. But I am having trouble getting my house work done.

I have a bunch of older kids in school during the day, and they need my time and attention until I go to bed at night, so there's alot I must complete during the day, like laundry, dishes, food preparation, and daily cleaning chores. (I do a different cleaning task every day, like vacuuming, dusting, or changing linens, because I don't have a cleaning lady). I would estimate about two hours every day must be spent on laundry, food prep, and cleaning. The rest of the time I am busy with my two year old or bigger kids.

The problem is my two year old will behave beautifully when I'm playing or reading with her, but as soon as I try to complete a household task, she is either crying and pulling my skirt down, or running into the living/dining rooms to jump on the good couches, or wrap herself in the drapes, which will rip them off the rods. I have to constantly chase after her to grab her off the things she shouldn't be doing, or pry her off of me while she kvetches and cries. I am not completing my day time tasks because of her, and the rest of the family is thrown off balance because of this.

How do any of you manage with toddlers and home tasks? All advice and tips appreciated! Thank you.

someone

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 7:14 pm
Maybe try to let her 'help' you. Give her things she can do that wont make too much of a mess and then she will feel that you're doing things with her, not leaving her alone while you go do things. My toddler loves putting laundry in machine, taking it out, passing me clean clothes to put in the closet ('now give me your sock', while he's looking for it in the basket I fold 5 shirts, etc...). He loves standing on a stool and watching me cook (and mainly tasting). He tried taking a pillow out of a pillow case the other day, that kept him busy for as long as it took me to change a lot of linen.

lucky14

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 10:57 pm
I was also going to suggest trying to get her to "help" you. It's one of the only ways I can get things done while he's awake. Today we vaacumed (he helped me put things away to clear the floor and helps me roll up the plug when I'm done), he puts the utensils away when unloading the dishwasher, he helped me put laundry in the machine, we went grocery shopping and he helped in the store and when we got home he helped put the groceries away. Other chores he helps out with: while cleaning I can give him things to put in the trash, laundry in the basket, he'll help put clothes away in the drawers (that needs a lot of assistance from me), etc. He even helps set the table.
If I don't have him help me out he tries to get my attention just like yours.

oh yeah -- I just remembered another one: we cook and bake together sometimes! He gets SOO excited about doing that. He almost always makes challah with me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 11:40 pm
It isn't criminal to need two hours a day. If your kid won't nap, get a play area, playpen, baby gate that forms a circle, and put in some toys. Who doesn't want attention if it an option? Teach your kid that mommy needs time sometimes, and that is ok. Do a half hour at a time if that makes you more comfortable.

Not all of us have the 'luxury' of spending half so much time with our toddlers. I personally have a baby gate across my kitchen to keep my toddler out, and do my laundry at night or during naps - but every two weeks, since my family is small.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Oct 17 2017, 11:42 pm
WE also have an absolute time out rule for things like climbing on tables, doing dangerous things, etc. Five minutes in the crib lets mommy breather and finish something she is in middle of.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 12:49 pm
During nap time if relevant.

During meal time - while he eats, you can do short tasks (10-15 minutes here and there).

If you are desperate and this is ok with you, a story tape (audio) or short educational video can help. Sometimes music will work too.

My 2 year old would give me 20 minutes of 'free time' if given play dough. We put plastic underneath and let her make a mess.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 7:52 pm
amother wrote:
It isn't criminal to need two hours a day. If your kid won't nap, get a play area, playpen, baby gate that forms a circle, and put in some toys. Who doesn't want attention if it an option? Teach your kid that mommy needs time sometimes, and that is ok. Do a half hour at a time if that makes you more comfortable.

Not all of us have the 'luxury' of spending half so much time with our toddlers. I personally have a baby gate across my kitchen to keep my toddler out, and do my laundry at night or during naps - but every two weeks, since my family is small.

If you don’t have time to play with your toddler why not send them to playgroup?

pesek zman

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
If you don’t have time to play with your toddler why not send them to playgroup?

I imagine that's an expense that many single earning households either cannot afford or don't feel is a priority

Coffee Addict

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:36 pm
Op, I totally relate.

Your baby is napping? That’s really the only time all of us with babies can do the chunck of the housework for the day.

What saves me the most is the ipad. Sometimes I need desperately the time for myself, or I’m very busy with something, I give her the ipad. It’s my lifesaver. I know it’s not the best choice, but sometimes you have no options. It won’t hurt.

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 9:53 pm
Thanks so much for responding everyone! I can't send her to a playgroup for a few hours for financial reasons, and because there's no playgroup close enough to my house to be worth it. She doesn't nap, I can't let her because I need her asleep early enough that I can concentrate on my older kids at homework and bedtime hour.

I can't imagine giving her playdough and letting her play with it while I go do housework, it would go into the wrong areas for sure! I'm so impressed that your two year old will sit with it at one place without you for a while. And she's not interested in my phone or iPad for more than a couple minutes. But thank you so much for trying to suggest things to me!

I want to tell everyone that what really helped me was the reminder to have her "help" me, I enthusiastically engaged her in my housework many times this week and I definitely got a little more accomplished, and more important, I enjoyed that time with her much more. So thank you very much for that!

Any other suggestions about ways to keep her independently entertained would still be very appreciated, thanks again!

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:16 pm
My 2 year olds always loved matchbox cars! Even the girls!! For some reason it would keep them entertained for so long. Do you have any friends who would be interested in a round robin? Maybe just a trial for a week? This way you could get the benefits of social interaction and stimulation, and some free time to yourself.

DREAMING

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:41 pm
Give her some shmattes and ask er to "fold" or wet them a bit and have them "clean" molding/walls...
30 min active play together may give you some time alone after.
I also struggled with this! Good luck!

Color wonder markers she can use near you.

lucky14

Post Sat, Oct 21 2017, 10:56 pm
I keep our play kitchen in our real kitchen and often my son will "cook" while I'm cooking. He especially gets excited when he's able to make the same thing I'm making (like if he has the same foods in play form). Of course this only works if your child is able to be in the kitchen with you while you're cooking without you worrying about them coming too close to the stove/oven.

Is there some kind of art activity she enjoys that can be brought out only like a few times a week that she can do on her own for a little while? (ex: stickers, coloring-put something down to protect the table if that's an issue, those mess-free coloring or paint things- I've never used those so not sure how well they work). Or maybe there's a special toy that you can keep stored away to bring out only one or two days a week to give you just enough time to do complete one chore? Maybe some kind of little play characters if she's into imaginative play like that? I know these ideas wont help you get a ton of things done but maybe at least you can do a couple more chores a week while she's awake Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics