Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Question about a period
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:34 pm
And here, in the best traditions of Imamother, with good advice comes the (light) bashing Wink

She's in all girls' middle school. Her issue has nothing to do with tznius. She's plain embarrassed, yes, she knows everyone gets it eventually (her BFF and some classmates still didn't get it).

No, tampons won't be good for her at this point. No, it's not about being scared to tell her about the other hole (I actually told her when she asked me how babies are born and if they come out from where she pees - this us your cue to ask why I didn't call it the scientific proper name Wink)

Great idea about putting it in a pouch /wristlet!!! She can't take her whole bookbag to the bathroom with her, it's huge and heavy Smile

She got her period 1.5 y ago. It's irregular in a sense that sometimes it skips a month. Iirc, her Dr said it might take 2 y to regulate, so we are waiting.

Thanks again for your advices!!

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:49 pm
I just thought of something that no one has mentioned. What about a money belt--the thin kind meant to be worn under the clothes. I got my period late so by that point bringing your pocketbook to the bathroom was not too embarrassing because everyone else had to also. But a money belt under the clothes could let her bring a new pad into the bathroom without her having to carry anything. I don't remember being embarrassed about the peeling of the pad, but how about just advising her to flush the toilet an extra time so the flushing noise can cover up the sound.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:53 pm
safety pin a pad to the outside of her underwear? put one in between her underwear and tights (again safety pin so it doesnt fall down the tights legs)

yes its a part of life and all but can be extremely embarrassing for a teenager in middle of a school day being observed at all times by her friends.... I feel for her!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:55 pm
Why don't you get her a light weight jacket with zip up pockets? That way, she can easily carry the supplies she needs for the day. If she's embarrassed about making noise, I agree with the PP, flush a couple of xtra time to cover any crinkling noises.

InnerMe

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 8:20 pm
DrMom wrote:
She is going to have her period for another 30-40 years.

Now would be a good time to get over being mortally embarrassed to change a pad in a public bathroom.

She should carry some supplies in her backpack. What do you mean she is embarrassed to do this? In her personal bag in an all-girls' school?

She can carry a small flat cosmetic pouch if she doesn't want everyone to see the pad in into wrapper, or she can slip it into her waistband or sleeve before she goes to the restroom. This is a part of life.

Ask the school to put small trash bins in the stalls.

Yes, and this is something that's normal to especially as a beginner. I was that girl, and today I don't fret about it. I usually just carry my pocketbook along to the bathroom, so there's really no need..

If she shouldn't or shouldn't be feeling this doesn't matter. Right now she is. And it's hard, and if her mom could be at her side and help her strategize I think that would be great.
And no worries... this stage will pass.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 12:22 am
All good ideas how to carry a pad while already have the period. But while anticipating it (any time from one day to 2 month)? Seems like the best solution is to keep a pouch in the briefcase.

DrMom

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
All good ideas how to carry a pad while already have the period. But while anticipating it (any time from one day to 2 month)? Seems like the best solution is to keep a pouch in the briefcase.

Of course. Don't you carry some "back up supplies" in your purse?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children