Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Resources for delayed training

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:02 pm
My son is 4 and still not fully trained. I know 4 is officially considered delayed for training. What are some resources (books, programs, therapies, etc) for working on this? The obvious and typical methods are just not working. He is otherwise completely typically developing, in fact, I have an autistic son who trained earlier and more easily. I just don't know what else to do at this point.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 5:55 pm
I was specifically reccommended to look at autism resources. You may need to use a more behavioral method than you are now. Some issues that may be relevant that would be addressed include sensory issues (including both hyper and hypo), distraction, and reluctance to leave the activity in which they are engaged.

I imagine that with your autistic dc, you put together a plan that was used by all caregivers. You may need to do something similar here.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 6:13 pm
Thank you. Ironically, we didn't do anything special with that child other than wait. He wasn't verbal until 3, so there was no point in trying sooner, at 3.5 he was showing other signs of readiness and we just went with it in the usual way and he was day trained in like a week. Same happened at night, we didn't bother until he started asking not to wear pull-up to bed and sure enough, it only took a few nights. But he does get ABA, so if you think autism resources may be helpful, I will ask the BCBA if she can direct me for the child I'm currently trying to train.

country

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 7:46 pm
my daughter wasn't trained till almost 4. she never even made in the toilet even once. I took away her diapers and she just didn't make water for 26 hours. I wasn't sure if it was behavioral or fear I ended up realizing it was a combination. This is how I finally did it. after she mastered each step for a day or 2 went to next step

1. she only got diapers when she had to make and had to stand in the bathroom with them. She refused to do it thats when I realized alot was behavioral.

2. had her sit on the toilet with the lid down wearing diapers when she had to make

3. sit on the toilet with lid open wearing diapers

4. cut a big hole in diaper didn't tell her and when she made I showed her look it went in toilet

5. after a few days she forgot to ask for diaper.

never had an accident since was trained for night same day

little_mage

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 10:25 am
How much control over the process does he have at this point? My ASD six year old is still not fully trained (and potty training was what actually made us realize that he had ASD...), but I still remember the moment I put him on the potty and saw him consciously release. I could see that the switch had finally turned in his head.

Smileys:)

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 11:33 am
I used the book "toilet training in less than a day". Works great if you follow exactly by giving the full responsibility to your child. They have to see that you are really serious about it. Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training