Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Tacky to inquire about salary before interview?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:23 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I cannot imagine applying for a job without knowing the salary or salary range. That information tells me a lot about the job and the employer. Why waste the time applying and potentially interviewing for a position when you don't know what it pays? One of the things it tells me about an employer is they don't mind wasting time and money on fruitless recruitments and interviews.

I totally hear you. I guess he doesnt care because I dont get paid extra for hours I spend interviewing and recruiting.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:
I totally hear you. I guess he doesnt care because I dont get paid extra for hours I spend interviewing and recruiting.

Maybe you should?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

sounds like you should be busy polishing up your resume too.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:

Have you asked him?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:42 pm
Why do we work? (Hint: to be paid. Because we need $$). If we didn't need money, we likely wouldn't be working most jobs.

Salary discussion needs to be normalized, and happen from the get-go. You shouldn't waste anyone's time, they shouldn't waste yours.

Again, we work so we can get paid. I don't know why people get bent out of shape about this.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:45 pm
Sounds like a boss I'd never want to work for.
Good luck to him finding an employee.

For the record, I don't think a one word answer on Facebook or other social media is rude at all. A personal email or text with one word "salary?" Would be rude. But not social media. That's my opinion. (I'm a millennial.)

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:46 pm
amother wrote:
Why do we work? (Hint: to be paid. Because we need $$). If we didn't need money, we likely wouldn't be working most jobs.

Salary discussion needs to be normalized, and happen from the get-go. You shouldn't waste anyone's time, they shouldn't waste yours.

Again, we work so we can get paid. I don't know why people get bent out of shape about this.

Because for many years women in the workforce was seen as a way for them to keep busy, and 'contribute' - pay was secondary.

(this in part is leading to the tuition crisis - as unlike 30 years ago - women teachers are, (reasonably) looking to get paid reasonably for their time, not a token amount).

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:51 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Have you asked him?

No. I am paid a weekly salary, so this is part his expectations of my role.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:51 pm
amother wrote:
sounds like you should be busy polishing up your resume too.

Its also very part time for me. I have a real full time job also.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
No. I am paid a weekly salary, so this is part his expectations of my role.

are you working overtime to do this work? Even a weekly salary has a number of working hours per week.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
are you working overtime to do this work? Even a weekly salary has a number of working hours per week.

Yes working extra. No not paid for it. If I said what my role was, you would understand why. Its ok.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
Yes working extra. No not paid for it. If I said what my role was, you would understand why. Its ok.

Its okay if you are okay with it.

It sounds like you are working for a non-for-profit and are partially donating your time.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
Its okay if you are okay with it.

It sounds like you are working for a non-for-profit and are partially donating your time.

You are correct with both.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
You are correct with both.

Is your issue that you have a list with potential employees but cant decide because none of them were proffessional? Or, are you still looking for an employee?
If you are still looking for one, I know someone that might be intrested.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:37 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:

I see something similar in my business. Often, when I post pictures of merchandise, people respond with one word- price????

It always seems incredibly rude to me. It just rubs me the wrong way. Is it so hard to write- "how much does this cost?"

This is entirely different. It is rude on your part to post the merchandise without the price. Clearly you want to sell, and the only reason people are following a clothing page is in case they see something they want to buy, so why not be upfront and post the price for all to see? I hate the whole "pm me for price" thing, and I know I am not alone. It is a major turn-off.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:40 pm
I do think it's unprofessional to reply "salary???" like that, and I would use it as an opportunity to weed people out.

Having said that, the information (or, as others said, at least "competitive rate" or a range) should be in your listing. Not posting generally indicates below market rate.

cm

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:56 pm
Salary is, or can be, flexible. One person doesn't necessarily earn the same amount as someone else doing the same job, for a whole lot of reasons. This is negotiated during the hiring process. Some employers are more open about the salary range than others before you get to that point. An applicant should try to be familiar with the industry standard of compensation going into the process.

It really does help the applicant if the job posting indicates a range, but if it doesn't, it is ok to ask (using a complete, grammatically correct sentence, regardless of venue) what the general range is. Demanding to know a specific salary suggests immaturity and certainly shows some lack of professionalism. There is a time and a place for making demands, and this isn't it.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
This is entirely different. It is rude on your part to post the merchandise without the price. Clearly you want to sell, and the only reason people are following a clothing page is in case they see something they want to buy, so why not be upfront and post the price for all to see? I hate the whole "pm me for price" thing, and I know I am not alone. It is a major turn-off.

Lol. You're calling me rude?

You're jumping to way to many conclusions.

1) I usually do post the prices, but have been known to forget occasionally. When someone asks me for the price, I just post it. I never tell anyone to dm me.

2) I do photo shoots and then post them as advertisements. There's a lot of clothing in the pictures, and I don't necessarily post the price of every last item.

3) sometimes I post pictures of customers wearing clothing, which is just another way of advertising, but I don't necessarily write the price.

In any case, it's not rude to post pictures of the clothing from your shop without prices. Even if you find it annoying. It's definitely a lot ruder to write, price?????

Last but not least,

Your comment to me was extremely rude and uncalled for. Next time your rude to me please post under your screen name.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 6:08 pm
amother wrote:
Is your issue that you have a list with potential employees but cant decide because none of them were proffessional? Or, are you still looking for an employee?
If you are still looking for one, I know someone that might be intrested.

The issue is that I have had very few applicants, people arent sending their resumes or even continuing the text messge discussion without knowing the pay.

And thank you, but I havent mentioned the job or the location, how do you think you know someone for it? But I do appreciate your thoughts.

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 6:12 pm
amother wrote:
The issue is that I have had very few applicants, people arent sending their resumes or even continuing the text messge discussion without knowing the pay.

And thank you, but I havent mentioned the job or the location, how do you think you know someone for it? But I do appreciate your thoughts.

you basically have been given a task to do with insufficient tools. Thats what I would tell my boss.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics