Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Conversion Rebbetzin in Brooklyn

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:33 pm
Looking for a recommendation for a great conversion rebbetzin located in Brooklyn?

doctorima

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 2:48 pm
I know that Rabbi Meir Fund deals a lot with conversions in Brooklyn. If you specifically want a Rebbetzin, I would contact him and ask for recommendations.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 3:47 pm
doctorima wrote:
I know that Rabbi Meir Fund deals a lot with conversions in Brooklyn. If you specifically want a Rebbetzin, I would contact him and ask for recommendations.

Thank you

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 4:03 pm
Raizy Shmulewitz taught me. The NYC Beis Din refers people to her. Not that this is is any of my business, but how are you converting?

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Oct 23 2017, 9:17 pm
amother wrote:
Raizy Shmulewitz taught me. The NYC Beis Din refers people to her. Not that this is is any of my business, but how are you converting?

Thank you. It's not for me obviously as I couldn't be on this sight if I'm not Jewish Smile but what do you mean by HOW are you converting?

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:

Did you enjoy your experience with her?
Is there anyone more energetic / focused?

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 11:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you. It's not for me obviously as I couldn't be on this sight if I'm not Jewish Smile but what do you mean by HOW are you converting?

Haha-- I thought about it, and decided there was a chance that you married a Jew and had a Reform conversion or something and then became observant and wanted to do an Orthodox conversion... Cool

I ask "how" because there are many different paths to conversion, and it's pretty important that a prospective convert do his or her research. Any Rabbi can oversee a conversion and convene a Beis Din, but it can become problematic if that person wants to move to another community, or especially make aliyah, as the Israeli Rabinate is very, very particular. How does anyone know if the persons conversion Rabbi did his job properly? There are a lot of bad stories. And No One wants a converts kids to have questionable status!!!

For this reason, the RCA has set up a system to handle conversions. It's not foolproof, but it is the absolute best option to ensure a conversion that will NOT be called into question later. This is fairly widely accepted to be the "correct" way to do an Orthodox conversion.

Therefore, there is ONE place in NYC that handles all the conversions in the area. The first step should be to contact the appropriate Beis Din. That Rabbi will refer the candidate to a teacher. You might want to check in with your friend (or whoever) about all this. A lot of people don't quote understand the process and various implications, and end up wasting a lot of time, or getting a conversion that might not be accepted outside of their chosen kehila. There is a LOT at stake!

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Oct 24 2017, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
Did you enjoy your experience with her?
Is there anyone more energetic / focused?

She was amazing. She has a narrative style of teaching, which is perfect for my style of learning. She covered all the halachos, and also many customs, explained the differences, and told a lot of applicable stories. She is very down-to-earth, and very kind -- she has altogether excellent midos. She is very enthusiastic teacher and she also enjoys learning things. She has really become a good friend to me, B"H. I enjoyed learning with her tremendously, and I miss our weekly meetings! The only thing is that I know she is really very busy, and I don't know if she would take someone without being referred from the Beis Din in Manhattan.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Oct 25 2017, 10:06 pm
Thanks for taking the time to respond so in depth

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Oct 26 2017, 8:24 pm
My pleasure.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries